RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

youngster

Jun 18, 2007, 9:17 PM
Post #1 of 5 (628 views)
Shortcut

Becoming Re-involved in Climbing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello All! I am not really a beginner but thought this would be a good place to post.

I am going to become re-involved in climbing. I say re-involved because I haven't climbed in 10 years. I am 54 but have always worked on staying fit; weights and running mostly. Some hiking. I am looking for some advice, especially from some older climbers who have travelled this route (pardon the pun).

I used to be heavily involved in sport climbing (especially multipitch stuff) but always did some ski touring and mountaineering to "keep my hand in." I have done Mt. Athabasca, Mt. Baker, a traverse in the Adamants, that kind of thing. I am thinking I would like to do more mountaineering. I am wondering if Mt. Sir Donald a year from now might be too ambitious.

Hope to hear from you soon.

(This post was edited by youngster on Jun 18, 2007, 9:20 PM)

mushroomsamba

Jun 21, 2007, 1:23 AM
Post #2 of 5 (554 views)
Shortcut

Re: [youngster] Becoming Re-involved in Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

good for you.

my dad who is 58 is my favorite climbing partner, he loves getting out and doing it. If your looking into mountaineering, I'd recommend trying a guiding service to learn the ropes.

welcome back mate cheers

aglane

Jun 21, 2007, 3:01 AM
Post #3 of 5 (531 views)
Shortcut

Re: [youngster] Becoming Re-involved in Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Getting back into it after 40 years, in mid-60s, I conclude
a) it's never too soon, never too late
b) I strongly second the remark about doing a guided climb or several--a good guide can spot strengths and weaknesses (but then not all guides are equally good)
c) yes overall conditioning, in the gym and out, can't be overdone
d) and if you've kept in shape all along, perhaps you'll be blessedly free of my need for a personal trainer to keep my form right so that working out at home doesn't do more harm than good

As to Sir Donald, others will have to comment, and you to reflect, upon stamina, reserve for weather changes, leading capacity, strength of your partner(s), ....

sknowlton

Jun 21, 2007, 1:17 PM
Post #4 of 5 (504 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aglane] Becoming Re-involved in Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good on ya! I got back into climbing in my late 40's after having been away for 20+ years. My son (then 7) got interested after---of all things---a climbing birthday party!

It progressed rapidly from there---now the whole family is outside doing a wide variety of routes (we're 60 minutes from the Gunks) when time allows.

Pay special attention to conditioning and be mindful of not overstressing your aging (LOL!--boy I know it!) joints---especially shoulders.

Welcome back!

youngster

Jun 23, 2007, 4:41 PM
Post #5 of 5 (448 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sknowlton] Becoming Re-involved in Climbing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, this is cool. On my run today, I found out the local elementary school has a mini climbing wall. Not much but would be good for laps/conditioning.

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook