RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

cole22

Jun 19, 2007, 9:02 PM
Post #1 of 16 (8632 views)
Shortcut

Inguinal Hernia no insurance
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I was taking a shower and noticed a bulge, I know gross, anyway I have a hernia. It doesn't hurt at all and I can push it back in. The problem is that I'm in the middle of getting insurance right now and I'm worried that they won't let me have surgery right after getting insured, like a holding period or something. Also, since I may get denied as I have been before, meaning this might not get taken care of for a few months, I'm wondering if I can still climb. I mean it doesn't hurt at all but does bulge out a little more when I flex my abs or climb. I want desperately to keep climbing until this gets taken care of but I don't want it to become strangulated, although I hear that if the hernia is larger and doesn't hurt the chances of this happening are lower. Anyway sorry I made this so long, any advice would be appreciated.

northernguide

Jun 20, 2007, 11:34 AM
Post #2 of 16 (8589 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cole22] Inguinal Hernia no insurance [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing with an injury is never recommended. Keep in mind that an Inguinal Hernia can get worse. I actually had the very same injury (on the right side) from a RURP popping when top-stepping in my aiders on an A3+. Before my surgery we did a roadtrip to NRG, RRG and T-Wall, all seemed to fare well.

reg

Jun 20, 2007, 12:33 PM
Post #3 of 16 (8581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i had one also on the right side. one problem with not having them repaired is they can "strangulate" - become pinched by the abdominal muscles and get infected or burst - if your going to wait - get a truss from the drug store - i wouldn't climb. also don't mention it to your new ins co till your covered - then claim it - your a climber, ya got it climbing, just a matter of when - right?

8flood8

Jun 20, 2007, 1:28 PM
Post #4 of 16 (8560 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

put a rubber band on it until it falls off

8flood8

Jun 20, 2007, 1:35 PM
Post #5 of 16 (8558 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

but seriously...

yah it sucks to take a break from climbing...

but would you rather take a break because you "choose" to, or because you are "forced" to... after a trip to the emergency room??

crankyclimber

Jun 20, 2007, 1:46 PM
Post #6 of 16 (8548 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're applying for individual insurance, you must disclose this condidtion. If not, they'll void your policy. You'll probably be rated for this, meaning you'll have to pay more, if they accept you at all. Worst case senario, you can get health ins thru your state once declined. It is expensive but better than paying for surgery yourself. Another option is group thru a job. Starbucks and Home Depot used to offer benefits to part-timers.

Partner rgold

Jun 20, 2007, 5:09 PM
Post #7 of 16 (8516 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crankyclimber] Inguinal Hernia no insurance [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There have been a number of articles in places like the NY Times recently about whether surgery for hernia is a good idea. Apparently, the complications of such surgery are not always insignificant. The advice seems to be that of "watchful waiting." If you aren't suffering pain and if the hernia can always be reduced, the advice is that it is ok to wait.

I have some experience in this area. A few years ago I got a hernia on my right side, which I had repaired. Years later, I still get occasional pain there. Several years after the first hernia, I suffered a second hernia on the left side. Having read the articles, I decided to do nothing for a while. I've had the hernia and climbed actively for two years now. It hasn't gotten any worse, and such pain as I have is typically in the repaired region. I assume I will need the operation at some point, but am not in any kind of rush to get it.

Strangulation is a medical emergency, so I wouldn't consider climbing in remote regions far from a good hospital. What typically happens if a hernia won't reduce is you go to the emergency room, they lie you down and give you a muscle relaxant, and that's that. But once that happens, it is clear the operation is essential.

Of course, YMMV. This is personal experience, not medical advice.

bent_gate

Jun 20, 2007, 6:12 PM
Post #8 of 16 (8479 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you have already been to a doctor on this then it has been recorded that this is an existing condition and it is risky to not report that when applying to new insurance. They often check old records when they get a new expensive claim and then deny payment because it was pre-existing.

(I'm not suggesting this) but if there is no documentation on this hernia, and no one is aware of it, you could theoretically get insurance, and then go to a doctor and say you lifted something heavy only one day ago (and well within your new insurance period) and this thing popped out.

If someone were to do that, I would have to preach to them that I hoped they learned their lesson about going without insurance, their health is the most valuable thing they have.

cole22

Jun 20, 2007, 9:00 PM
Post #9 of 16 (8441 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bent_gate] Inguinal Hernia no insurance [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow!! Guys seriously thanks for all the responses, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. I haven't been diagnosed yet so like some have recommended when I do finally get insured I plan on going in and saying that it just happened after lifting something heavy, probably best to keep the fact that I'm a climber to myself.

Rgold - thanks so much for your reply. Ive researched this on the net and on here extensively and you gave me some info I hadn't seen before. I'm a bit of a hypochondriac(sp) and you guys have made me feel better about "watching and waiting" which I figured would be ok. rgold- one question for you. when you had your second hernia, which you say you climb on, do you still climb hard or do you take it easy. Meaning if I'm going to climb should I just stick to some easy routes or is it ok to boulder and climb hard sport routes?
Again thanks a lot for the replies. I love this site and I love the climbing community.

cole22

Jun 20, 2007, 9:09 PM
Post #10 of 16 (8427 views)
Shortcut

Re: [8flood8] Inguinal Hernia no insurance [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

8flood8 wrote:

but would you rather take a break because you "choose" to, or because you are "forced" to... after a trip to the emergency room??

very very good point my friend. I will remember this for a long time.

wilcox510

Jun 20, 2007, 9:41 PM
Post #11 of 16 (8405 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hernias can strangulate as someone said, buts its not very common. A lot of surgeons will advise people to get a hernia fixed if it bothers them (painful, getting larger, generally freaks them out etc), but will tell them it isn't necessary to get it fixed if you are asymptomatic. As a climber, you are probably more likely to have the hernia enlarge over time due to strenuous activities, but your risk of bowel strangulation as goes down as the hernia gets bigger. However, if your hernia ever becomes non-reducable (cant push it back in) that is an emergency and you should go to the ER immediately.
In reply to:

Partner rgold

Jun 20, 2007, 10:19 PM
Post #12 of 16 (8386 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cole22 wrote:
rgold- one question for you. when you had your second hernia, which you say you climb on, do you still climb hard or do you take it easy.

Cole, I'm 63, I have a life outside climbing, and so I don't climb as hard as I did thirty years ago. But I do climb as hard as I can, in other words the hernia doesn't restrict my activities.

Once, in the gym, I was trying a very peculiar route that seem to stress torso control on the left side, the hernia hurt, and I immediately stopped trying that route. That's the only time in two years I've made any adjustments because of it. It has never hurt climbing outside, by the way.

nivlac

Jun 20, 2007, 10:32 PM
Post #13 of 16 (8379 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cole22 wrote:
8flood8 wrote:

very very good point my friend. I will remember this for a long time.

You might research Shouldice Hospital in Canada. They specialize in hernias and are quite a bit cheaper than the US, with much better recovery times on average. I only suggest it since you're between insurers (which may have a probationary period of 6 months or a year to determine pre-existing conditions).

Definitely do your research though, you've got a medical condition and I'd take the advice I read on a climbing forum with a major grain of salt (no offense). These posts sound like anecdotal experiences.

aerili

Jun 21, 2007, 9:44 PM
Post #14 of 16 (8308 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think bent_gate has the key here.

I had an inguinal hernia (yes, very uncommon for women, but what can I say, I am an uncommon woman) some years ago in college. Actually, I had this hernia for FOUR years (it was reducible) and no doctor diagnosed it properly until I mentioned it off handedly to a sports med doc when I saw her for something else. (Sometimes doctors are stupid...They all wanted to send me to the OB GYN to check god knows what b/c, ya know, a woman couldn't possibly get a hernia Crazy).

I did excessively strenuous ballet and modern dance classes all four years (major ab work involved) as well as had to take sports/movement science classes for my major (wherein I was actually playing the sports) and I never had pain or anything. However, the surgeon said I could not just "let it be" any longer because if it WERE to strangulate the surgery turns from a minor outpatient procedure into a slice from chest to pubic bone (his exact words).

An inguinal hernia on a female is not the same as a man, however, the anatomy is different, so I have no idea if my experience of doing strenuous exercise with one for years would be a good example of what you could expect.

limestone_cowboy

Jul 3, 2007, 3:52 PM
Post #15 of 16 (8213 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey..........

- You can definitely climb with a hernia - like some of the other "responders", i did so for a couple of years without too much discomfort

- The "true" danger??? Sure, sure there's the whole "strangulated hernia" scenario (which would definitely land you in hospital).........I personally was much more concerned with the "long term" prognosis for untreated hernias.............the tear in the tendon/muscle sheath - which allows for your intestines and "what not" to poke out and create the "hernia" - will get bigger and bigger (or longer and longer) - especially if you are involved in rigorous activity (say like climbing) and eventually your intestines will end up dropping into your testicles (and your testicles will end up hanging around your knees)

- "Someone" (can't remember who) suggested the Shouldice Clinic (Toronto, Canada) - they definitely do a good job there (i was climbing again in just under a month) just be wary of their reported success rate - it's "inflated" with careful patient screening (i.e. if they don't like you (or your body type)................they won't perform the surgery)

Anywho..........good luck with it (i would suggest that you get it treated sooner rather than later..........in whatever way that you can)

Sean

roccsugma5

Sep 22, 2012, 1:52 AM
Post #16 of 16 (7571 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Am thinking of using AffordableHerniaSurgery.com , Dr. Kravitz at 11119 Rockville Pike Rockville, MD 20852 - near Washington DC for $1,900 no insurance.... There's also a no insurance doctor in Las Vegas, NV. Another option is UHONE.COM for united healthcare temporary ins. up to 6month. I was diagnosed with an umbilical hernia when i was 18 (over 20 years ago) and doctors refused to operate. Nowadays, i hear doctors do them dime a dozen, since i cannot push belly button back in - am told it is time to practice my lamaz (if you know what i mean).... Anyhow, i climbed 5.10trad / 5.11sport weekly for several years with no pain,discomfort nor complications.....until i stopped, sat on my az for years and gained weight. Disclaimer: i am not liable for readers' injuries nor any damages to you caused by my anecdotes; research indepth all insurance options, consult a physician and have any health issues resolved asap especially before long treks. thankyou

(This post was edited by roccsugma5 on Sep 22, 2012, 1:55 AM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook