Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
bad idea to come climb in July?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

arthur

Jun 25, 2007, 10:56 PM
Post #1 of 2 (1051 views)
Shortcut

bad idea to come climb in July?  (North_America: United_States: Arkansas: Buffalo_National_River: Horseshoe_Canyon_Ranch)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

My vacation this year is from July 13-18th and HCR is on my potential list of destinations. I know it gets pretty hot and humid there, so I was wondering what people's experiences have been climbing in the July heat. Is it doable? Would you recommend it, or tell people to go elsewhere? Are there shady crags?

Thanks in advance!

jjanowia

Jun 25, 2007, 11:48 PM
Post #2 of 2 (1010 views)
Shortcut

Re: [arthur] bad idea to come climb in July? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was in that region last summer. Climbed at HCR twice with some friends of mine from Tulsa. A good spot, in my opinion.

The climbing is on two walls, one east - facing and one west - facing. Provided you rise at a reasonable hour, you can chase the shade effectively to climb all day without having the sun beating on you constantly. Some mid-day sun is unavoidable, but the climbs are all so close together that you can walk down the walls (more or less) and find a route that might be shaded due to its orientation.

In many parts of the canyon, trees grow close to the canyon walls, providing partial shade.

I'd recommend it if you are limiting your focus to this region, and you want to be able to climb for more than a day while staying in one spot. The people who run the ranch are quite nice, as well.

(This post was edited by jjanowia on Jun 25, 2007, 11:51 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook