Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
New to Red River Gorge (Help is needed!)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

hershelgibbs

Jul 2, 2007, 5:26 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1339 views)
Shortcut

New to Red River Gorge (Help is needed!)  (North_America: United_States: Kentucky: East: Red_River_Gorge__Climbing_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,

Me and my friend are planning on driving down to red river gorge from Columbus, OH on July 3rd and sport climbing on the 4th. This will be our first time outdoor climbing and were pretty psyched. I was wondering A) How do we get to red river gorge from columbus, oh. B) We are looking to sport climb and don't know where anything is in red river gorge and have never climbed outdoors so it will be a little intimidating. C) Where do we stay Tuesday night (we are planning on camping.)

If anyone can help who's either been there or is going there and can help out a couple newbies that would be awesome.

Thanks,
Gabe

(This post was edited by hershelgibbs on Jul 2, 2007, 5:28 PM)

drfelatio

Jul 2, 2007, 6:06 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1327 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hershelgibbs] New to Red River Gorge (Help is needed!) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Directions:

--Take I-71 south through Cinci
--After it merges with I-75, stay on 75 South towards Lexington
--Head East on I-64
--Head south on the Bert T. Combs Mountain Parkway
--Take Exit 11 (Slade). At the end of the exit Turn Left to go to Shell Station to get an overnight pass if you plan to camp in the forest or Turn Right to head towards Miguel's which is where you'll most likely stay.

The Red is going to be CRAZY busy on the 4th. Especially the sport areas. Since you're new, the best places to go is probably Muir Valley, but get there EARLY. There's limited parking and you'll want to beat the crowd. Normally I'd recommend going out into BFE somewhere to avoid the crowds but 1.) they're mostly trad (sporties don't like to hike) and 2.) you're a noob to outdoor stuff so go where there's people to help you if you need it.

You'll probably benefit from staying at Miguel's but it'll be a madhouse. If you like to camp with 100s of other people, so be it, otherwise find a good spot somewhere in the Forest and enjoy the peace and quiet.

Oh, and go to www.redriverclimbing.com for an online guidebook and whatnot.

Good luck, have fun, and be safe!!

flint

Jul 2, 2007, 6:33 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1310 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.redriverclimbing.com

Everything you need to know. There was even a post on nOObs at the gorge recently (i believe the thread was titled "Store?", read it, it had a lot of good info. The red has some passionate, hard working people, and a lot of the land is priviatly owned, please respect it. The thread will give you some important ins and out. and yes the red will be packed, even more for sport, so your going to be taking a number.

have a great time on some of the best climbing

acarp

Jul 11, 2007, 7:23 AM
Post #4 of 4 (1241 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Gabe, I met a bunch of people from Columbus, OH this past weekend at the New River Gorge (Tatoo Wall). Were you in that group? I know it's a shot in the dark, but I thought I would try.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook