Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Alum Rock
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

OutrdJunkie

Jul 2, 2007, 8:08 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1566 views)
Shortcut

Alum Rock  (North_America: United_States: Pennsylvania: Northwestern_Region)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was wanting to know if anyone has ever heard of Alum Rocks near Knox, Pa. I went there today on a tip from a friend. Nice places to top rope. Possibly up to 10 routes available. Some are easy 5.3 and some I spotted with my brother that are possibly 5.8, maybe.

HarklessDO

Jul 2, 2007, 8:41 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1554 views)
Shortcut

Re: [OutrdJunkie] Alum Rock [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I am from knox. I actually have never gone there before. I know it has been used in the winter for ice climbing. Typically I have never known of anyone to use it in the summer. It may be drier this year that it is possible. Most of the local climbing I do is at panther caves. Halfway between oilcity and tionesta. roughly 20 min from knox. PM me if you ever want to get out. I try to get out a fair amount and have a wall at my house when I can't get out.

truello

Jul 3, 2007, 5:27 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1530 views)
Shortcut

Re: [OutrdJunkie] Alum Rock [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Got any photos or a description of what the area is like? Rock city, ridge line, height? Thanks.

OutrdJunkie

Jul 3, 2007, 12:34 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1519 views)
Shortcut

Re: [truello] Alum Rock [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well there is about all the above. There is an overlook with about 3 different routes on it approx. 45 feet. Then if you have ever been to McConnells mills there are massive rocks like there. I spotted a few climbs on a few of the mammoth rocks. Not really much boldering available. There is a nice waterfall with a couple climbs right beside it(probably ice climbs in the winter). I can remember about 10 different top roping routes i would have attempted, all ranging from 15 to45 feet. I didn't get any pix of the climbs my camera was messed up. I will be back to map routes and and get the heights.
41 9.37'N, 79 37.95'W (NAD27)
I'm pretty sure thats the coords(Topozone says so anyway)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook