RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Competition Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

mr_nightmare

Sep 30, 2002, 10:41 PM
Post #1 of 5 (2035 views)
Shortcut

Climbing competitions?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just out of curiousity, What exactly goes on at a climbing competition? I climbed with my dad for roughly 6 years, then after he died, I just got back into it again.. I have never heard of actually competing in climbing. What exactly goes on at a competition and if I can climb in the 5.10, 5.11 range should I try to do one? Thanks..

Jared
jdh306@psu.edu

the_elk

Sep 30, 2002, 11:19 PM
Post #2 of 5 (2035 views)
Shortcut

Climbing competitions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The competitions I enter are onsight competitions in the gym.
This involves you rocking up to the gym, signing up into your appropriate category... (categories are defined in age groups, and c,b, and a grades with a being the most dificult. there's also a masters category if your over 40... I think that's the age, I'm not sure though)
Then you get 2 climbs for the heats which are either on top rope or lead depending on your category, and then if your in the top 6 or 8 you compete in the final. Then it goes on to bigger comps from there.
Being an onsight comp you are put in isolation so that you are unable to see others do the climb, but you do get to have a look at the climb for 3 minutes to look at how you'd like to approach the climb.
I would suggest you give it a go.... I decided to start competing at the last minute one day and kept on doing it. It's a good place to hone your skills.
Go for it!

mr_nightmare

Oct 1, 2002, 2:10 AM
Post #3 of 5 (2035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How are scores kept??

vaness

Oct 1, 2002, 3:40 PM
Post #4 of 5 (2035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the comps i go to the scores are kept on a scorecard. you write the route number and how many points its worth and then you have someone who saw you climb it or your belayer sign there name and write how many times you fell. thats how it goes if its not an onsight.
for onsights you just write how many holds you got up and how many times you clipped in.
i hink you would do good if your climbing 10's and 11's. thats what i climb and i have goten first place a number of times. you should try it and see wat its like.
Vanessa

vaness

Oct 1, 2002, 3:40 PM
Post #5 of 5 (2035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the comps i go to the scores are kept on a scorecard. you write the route number and how many points its worth and then you have someone who saw you climb it or your belayer sign there name and write how many times you fell. thats how it goes if its not an onsight.
for onsights you just write how many holds you got up and how many times you clipped in.
i hink you would do good if your climbing 10's and 11's. thats what i climb and i have goten first place a number of times. you should try it and see wat its like.
Vanessa

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Competition Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook