Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Allamuchy Bolt Anchors: NJ vs. PA
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

mrdeadpt

Jul 14, 2007, 9:21 PM
Post #1 of 3 (1500 views)
Shortcut

Allamuchy Bolt Anchors: NJ vs. PA  (North_America: United_States: New_Jersey: Northern_rt_80_and_up: Allamuchy_State_Park)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Was climbing at Ralph Stover State Park in PA this last Friday. Went to rig a TR over "Triple Overhang" and was pleasantly surprised to find someone had installed a beefy two-bolt anchor above the route. Now the ailing tree that everyone has used as an anchor there will no longer be subjected to being webbing-lashed. I looked around and found a second two-bolt anchor above "Orvie/The End Climb"--and another above the right-hand variation of "Ivy Leaf".

All these anchors employed new 3/8-inch bolts--nice and tight and sealed with caulk that matched the color of the rock.

The bolts weren't obtrusive. You pretty much had to be on top of them to see them.

They make safe, convenient anchors. And they spare the local trees.

Someone told me a local climbing gym had been instrumental in getting them installed all along the escarpment to save the native trees.

I thought about the recent bolting brew-ha-ha at Allamuchy State Park in NJ. Someone installed a two-bolt anchor there. It lasted a few weeks. Then it was chopped. (And I think NOT by NJ State authorities. It seems it was removed by another climber!)

What is wrong with NJ?!!!

Mr. D

roclimb

Jul 19, 2007, 2:20 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1446 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mrdeadpt] Allamuchy Bolt Anchors: NJ vs. PA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thats good to hear,

I commend whoever put the anchors in there, they are much needed.
I would be willing to put an afternoon of top-anchoring in there or old bolt replacement if the park is ok with it.

The place could use a good steam cleaning like the one they had at the Gunk's. Get rid of the polished rock. Anyone interested????
Could make arangements to do it sometime this fall-- Adopt-a-crag perhaps.

~RobSmile

iron106

Jul 1, 2008, 12:26 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1146 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mrdeadpt] Allamuchy Bolt Anchors: NJ vs. PA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
piton

PM Friend Partner

United States

Sep 28, 2004, 8:09 AM
Post #26 of 30 (2606 views)
Copy Shortcut

Re: Allamuchy permit ... [In reply to] Quote | Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chris,

Just got an email from John Anderson and he said that the state park folks are in favor of the removal of the bolts.

As in my first post here i would like to find the person who placed the bolts and have them remove their work. If not I will remove the bolts myself.

If anyone has info please send me a pm.

Thank you

cadaverchris

PM Friend Partner

Washington D.C., United States

Sep 28, 2004, 8:36 AM
Post #27 of 30 (2606 views)
Copy Shortcut

Re: Allamuchy permit ... [In reply to] Quote | Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

got the emails as well.

we need to communicate with the bolter. to discuss why the bolter felt they were needed, and why we don't.

we should also
-return the bolter his hardware
-camoflauge the bolt holes with rockdust and glue to fill in.

revisited again.

Nothing wrong with NJ. It is just better. Stover should just go all the wat to sport routes. I like this area and there is a lot of places to place good soild pro here.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook