RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

uptick

Jul 16, 2007, 3:34 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1554 views)
Shortcut

WTH...?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Back from Tucson and have a few pics to post. One common problem I seemed to have were the landscapes. They did not look sharp! Virtually all of them! Maybe the camera is picking up haze or something. I dunno.
Using a D70s on a tripod, timer release, cir-pol filter (dialed in...), normal large file, vivid color. The first one is one of the better images (and tweaked a little). The second is out of the camera and what most of them looked like...grrrrrr....The third is just a general climbing photo.

(This post was edited by uptick on Jul 16, 2007, 3:44 PM)

Paul_Y

Jul 16, 2007, 6:09 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1542 views)
Shortcut

Re: [uptick] WTH...? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you look closely at the transition between the sky and the mountain top profile you can see artifacts that are common with too much jpg compression. Are you sure you shot these at higher resolution, or did you pickup these artifacts by multiple generations of post processing a jpg image?

Other possiblilities: 1. Sharpness accicdentally turned down in one of the custom menus in your camera (not sure how this is done on your particular camera); 2. Polarizer interfering with camera's autofocus, the shot of the child shows that his fingers are in focus but his face is not. So on that shot you just missed focussing on the face. The question is, were you autofocussing on the face and the camera focussed behind him? Doing some tests with the polarizer on and off may help diagnose the problem. Good luck with this!

Paul

uptick

Jul 16, 2007, 6:26 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1541 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Paul_Y] WTH...? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

On my nephew, looks like the focus was right behind him. Can see his face is a little soft and his back hand is sharper. I was in a hurry. Trying to set an anchor, turned, saw him struggling a little bit and snapped off a quickie. Had the aperture cranked so it was quite sensitive in any depth of field.

The top landscape looks a little funky when I converted to low res for this site. Will post a link tonight in full frame where the dithering is not so obvious.

(This post was edited by uptick on Jul 16, 2007, 6:27 PM)

melekzek

Jul 16, 2007, 8:05 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1531 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

uptick wrote:
They did not look sharp!

Unsharpen mask (USM) might help

uptick

Jul 16, 2007, 8:16 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1529 views)
Shortcut

Re: [melekzek] WTH...? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

10-4 on the USM. I do go over and sharpen when needed. Just figure that all the landscape shots should not require sharpening...Would assume they should be good right out of the box.
Just a little perplexed to why this is happening. The lenses are good, havent been bounced around and are clean. Maybe it is finally starting to happen...???My mother did say I'd go blind if I didnt stop playing with myself...

uptick

Jul 17, 2007, 2:16 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1522 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Unjiggied photos:

http://home.fuse.net/fishes/Rock/DSC_5909_7_8%20copy.jpg

http://home.fuse.net/fishes/Rock/DSC_6319.JPG

http://home.fuse.net/fishes/Rock/DSC_6332.JPG

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook