RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

noburu

Jul 16, 2007, 4:11 PM
Post #1 of 6 (24387 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by noburu
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

marc801

Jul 16, 2007, 4:50 PM
Post #2 of 6 (24378 views)
Shortcut

Re: [noburu] Places to stay...SLC info [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are two national forest campgrounds in LCC:
http://www.fs.fed.us/...wood_canyon_cg.shtml

...and there are 3 in BCC:
http://www.fs.fed.us/...wood_canyon_cg.shtml

No dogs are allowed in either canyon, btw, if that's an issue for you.

Partner sevrdhed

Jul 16, 2007, 5:01 PM
Post #3 of 6 (24374 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Places to stay...SLC info [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

List of hostels:

http://www.hostelworld.com/...ty/ChosenCountry.USA

I have no idea how good/bad any of them are, because I've never stayed in any of them. Since I live here and all.

If you don't have a car, I'd suggest trying to get to one of the campgrounds. That will make getting to your climbing destinations easier.

What kind of climbing are you planning on doing? If you're going to be just bouldering, getting around the canyon should be a little bit easier. You can stay at Tanner flat, and then hike around/hitch rides to different areas. If you're looking to go trad climbing, same thing, although obviously you'll need to find a partner as well, so you may consider trying to get to one of the local gyms to find a climbing partner.

For sport, Big Cottonwood would be your best choice, since there's not much sport up Little. Still the same issues though, getting to/from the crags and your campsite.

Also, beware, it's fuggin hot here right now. I have only seen people bouldering up little a few times in the past couple of weeks besides myself.

Good luck!

marc801

Jul 16, 2007, 5:37 PM
Post #4 of 6 (24359 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sevrdhed] Places to stay...SLC info [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sevrdhed wrote:
Also, beware, it's fuggin hot here right now. I have only seen people bouldering up little a few times in the past couple of weeks besides myself.
Like he said...it'll be in the low 100's again this week. Few people are climbing in the SLC canyons right now. Remember that over 90% of the routes in LCC are on the north side of the canyon, thus they're broiling in the sun all day. It's easier to chase shade in BCC, but it's still gonna be way hot.

Best options for climbing right now are:
Ferguson Canyon - the stream and shade can make it tolerable

American Fork Canyon - 40 minutes south of SLC; lots of north facing stuff, some cooled by creek; 100% sport and not many routes below 10b.

Maple Canyon - 1.5 hrs south of SLC; 100% sport on strange cobbled rock with a small campground in the canyon. If SLC is 105F like yesterday, Maple might only be 94F.

High Uintas - 1.5 hrs east of SLC; mix of sport and trad at or above 10K feet. It was a pleasant 68F at the Ruth Lake crags yesterday. Plentiful campgrounds.

noburu

Jul 16, 2007, 5:44 PM
Post #5 of 6 (24352 views)
Shortcut

Re: [marc801] Places to stay...SLC info [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wow...thanks for the temperature info. I was mistaken in thinking that I could escape the Phoenix heat in SLC! Thanks alot for all the info and alternatives! I'll look into the higher ground.
Nick

Partner sevrdhed

Jul 16, 2007, 6:07 PM
Post #6 of 6 (24339 views)
Shortcut

Re: [noburu] Places to stay...SLC info [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

High uintas would definitely be your best option. If you can get to Ruth lake, you can set up camp south of the actual lake and stay there the whole time. You could hike over to the crags to meet partners, or if nobody is there to climb, you can explore, go bouldering, go hiking to one of the other 8 billion lakes in the area, go fishing, summit a peak, hike over to the scout camp and hassle the scouts, etc.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook