First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

curt

Jul 16, 2007, 11:49 PM
Post #76 of 134 (16419 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] Michael Reardon missing in Ireland? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I enjoyed the time I spent bouldering with Michael in Joshua Tree and the times we spent together at the Crossroads Cafe and/or around the campfire where talk of epics and spinning tall tales was the norm. When ever I would fall off some horrendously thin boulder problem and smack my knee or elbow, etc. on the rock, Michael would laugh his ass off. Naturally, when he would then also fall on the same problem, he would laugh his ass off just as hard. That's just the way he was. I'm convinced that if climbing with Michael didn't get you excited about climbing, you were probably already dead yourself.

Michael always had about 50 things going at any one time (as far as I could tell) and I remember that he was quite happy that I could introduce him to John Gill when John and I were on a bouldering trip to the Sierra a few years ago. The interview that Michael did at our cabin appeared in his film about John Bachar and free soloing. You may have liked Michael or you might not have liked Michael, but he was an extremely colorful personality--and the world of climbing will be considerably more gray without him.

Curt

dingus

Jul 17, 2007, 12:01 AM
Post #77 of 134 (16375 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Michael Reardon missing in Ireland? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You speak well of your friend, you do him proud.

DMT

reno

Jul 17, 2007, 2:11 AM
Post #78 of 134 (16199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Curt, you're a very eloquent man, and one should be honored to have such words spoke of him.

Hoist a glasss/pint/mug to Michael.

c[_]

Partner macherry

Jul 17, 2007, 2:58 AM
Post #79 of 134 (16105 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
Curt, you're a very eloquent man, and one should be honored to have such words spoke of him.

Hoist a glasss/pint/mug to Michael.

c[_]

i'll second what reno said

cheers

a member of the tribe who will be missed

dlintz

Jul 17, 2007, 3:09 AM
Post #80 of 134 (16080 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nicely said Curt.

My thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

d.

overlord

Jul 17, 2007, 9:40 AM
Post #81 of 134 (15823 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
You may have liked Michael or you might not have liked Michael, but he was an extremely colorful personality--and the world of climbing will be considerably more gray without him.

ditto that. i couldnt have put it better myself.

while i only knew him from this site, i always admired him. and the thing i remember most from our correspondence is when right after one of hes free solos (rainbow warrior??) a bunch of naysayers attacked him for supposedly faking the ascent, he sent me a really kind PM thanking me for the support (i sadly cant find the pm in my inbox). and, in the days of yore when rc.com still had the meber voting system, he gave me a 10. i dont know why, because i was still a really green noob at the time.

i really hope he isnt dead because he is one of the persons i would love to meet in real life. characters like he do step on some ppls toes, but the world would be so boring without them.

edited to add: if the owners are going to start the 'in memoriam' feature or its quvivalent, if michel reardon doesnt make it, it would be the right place to start. not only is he a great climber, he is also one of the early members (was he also an owner at a time?) that definitely left hes mark on the site.

(This post was edited by overlord on Jul 17, 2007, 11:37 AM)

reno

Jul 17, 2007, 3:31 PM
Post #82 of 134 (15601 views)
Shortcut

Re: [overlord] Michael Reardon missing in Ireland? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

overlord wrote:
edited to add: if the owners are going to start the 'in memoriam' feature or its quvivalent, if michel reardon doesnt make it, it would be the right place to start.

The general consensus among the mods/staff is that we should wait for a final confirmation/official word before we start such a thread. There is a chance, slim though it may be, that Michael is found. He's a strong man, and stranger things have happened.

climbinwv

Jul 17, 2007, 5:37 PM
Post #83 of 134 (15406 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here is a video from this winter of Michael climbing in Ireland and talking about how great it is there. i hope we can all remember his great spirit and passion for climbing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa-WFmpTde8

lewissimonj

Jul 17, 2007, 5:42 PM
Post #84 of 134 (15388 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbinwv] Michael Reardon missing in Ireland? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I know that a lot of us from the Los Angeles area and around the world have looked up to Mike in attitude and in ability. At some point, it would be good to gather at Stoney or Malibu Creek and pay our respects to a local legend.

spetty

Jul 17, 2007, 7:51 PM
Post #85 of 134 (15170 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lewissimonj] Michael Reardon missing in Ireland? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with you. I'm not a climber. That isn't how I got to know Michael. He and his family are my neighbors. I will remember him as the man who was a great dad. I saw him almost every morning walking the dog along side Nicki as he walk her to school. I'll remember him as wonderful neighbor and friend who I would see at the pool or our local coffee house. He always had a friendly smile and great conversation. He will diffently be missed around Oak Park, CA. There should be some kind of memorial here for him.

socaldudefromquebec

Jul 17, 2007, 8:19 PM
Post #86 of 134 (15122 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spetty] Michael Reardon missing in Ireland? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Michael has set some of the most fun/challenging/educational routes at the local indoor gym where he could be seen training between his trips when the weather/lighting did not allow outdoor climbing. Bourderdash will be holding a vigil for him tomorrow. See the attached for more info.

I've exchanged a few friendly words with him over the months at the gym but I certainly did not know him very well. Although probably not realistic at this point, I still hold a glimmer of hope that he somehow made it. I sure hope we get some firm news one way or another soon. I can't imagine how his family is taking all this.

He will be missed by the climbing community, that's sure, but not so much as by his wife and daughter.

(This post was edited by socaldudefromquebec on Jul 17, 2007, 8:21 PM)
Attachments: ReardonVigil2.jpg (143 KB)

storm2

Jul 18, 2007, 12:33 AM
Post #87 of 134 (14903 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knitclimb] Michael Reardon missing in Ireland - updated 7.16 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My thoughts and prayers are with Michael and his family. I enjoyed climbing with Michael. It was nothing but a pleasure to know him. Myself and all my friends still hope for a safe recovery and if not we will all miss him. (What a guy!)

dshoffman

Jul 18, 2007, 1:55 AM
Post #88 of 134 (14776 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knitclimb] Michael Reardon missing in Ireland - updated 7.16 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm sad...I feel so badly for his wife and daughter. I only had the pleasure of meeting him once, but for those who knew him well and describe him as "always with a smile" well, I can see that about him. It's terrible to think of his last moments. My thoughts and prayers go out to his soul and family.

lite2

Jul 18, 2007, 4:41 AM
Post #89 of 134 (14584 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbsomething] Michael Reardon missing in Ireland? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Michael Reardon is that guy that every one wants to be around. He has a certain aura around him that just makes you want to smile. I will always be thank full for the hours of time he has spent helping me to become a better climber weather it was in J-Tree, Malibu Creek or the gym. My Prayers are with Marci, Nikki, The Outlaws, and to all the rest of you who have been affected the way i have by this tragedy. I will also pray for the day that Michael and i can sit and read these posts and discuss the crazy story that has been his trip to Ireland

-SPIT-

Alfonzo

Jul 18, 2007, 10:02 AM
Post #90 of 134 (14445 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lite2] Michael Reardon missing in Ireland? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was not going to post for I did not know Michael. But after reading all the posts here, I feel I should. We "spoke" via emails a few times. The first time I wrote to him I was compelled to, being of a kindred spirit but in no way at Michael's level. I thought...no way will he write back... he must get a million emails.... Not only did Michael write back, but the note I got was so humble, caring and personal I was blown away. Now after reading post by friends, neighbors and folks Michael has touched, I'm not surprised at the quality of people that were in his life. My thoughts go to his family and friends...

Peace.
Alan Cattabriga
Concord NH.

knitclimb

Jul 18, 2007, 12:55 PM
Post #91 of 134 (14347 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knitclimb] Michael Reardon missing in Ireland [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For those of you in the Philadelphia area, we'll be toasting Michael with whiskey and beer tonight (7.18) at 8pm at the Standard Tap in Northern Liberties.

See you there.
- Jess

brenwhelan

Jul 18, 2007, 3:13 PM
Post #92 of 134 (14197 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some Details form yesterday's ceremony in Ireland

ROCK climber Michael Reardon pushed himself to the limit of his abilities, but ships were never meant to remain in harbours.

Tribute was paid to the fearless way the solo climber lived his life, at a moving ceremony on the cliff-top overlooking his last dramatic climb on Valentia Island, Co Kerry yesterday.

Up to 150 people gathered in sunshine to pay their respects to the 35-year-old American who was washed out to sea on Friday, after scaling the cliff-face twice.

A hundred feet below, Navy and Garda sub-aqua teams scoured the sea-bed for any trace of the man renowned among climbers and mountaineers for his daring exploits without ropes or safety equipment.

A traditional lament on harp and tin whistle opened the ceremony attended by the missing man's wife Marci, their 13-year-old daughter Nicki, close friends, members of the rescue services, the gardai, local people and well-known figures from the sporting and climbing worlds.

These included the mountain-running champion John Lenihan and Kerry football great and island native Mick O'Connell.

Father Kevin McNamara, a curate attached to Killarney parish, led the prayers. Michael Reardon "wouldn't hurt a rock by putting a claw into it", in order to preserve it for future generations, he said.

He had left a mark that would never be forgotten. He had pushed things to the limit. A ship was safe when in harbour, but that was not what ships were for, the priest said.

West Kerry GP and poet Micheal Fanning read two of his poems: 'I run with the winds and moods', which he dedicated to Mr Reardon's daughter, and 'Odysseus', a poem about daring people and those waiting for them, dedicated to Marci Reardon.

Extraordinary

Among many contributors, Mr Reardon's friend and mountaineer Con Moriarty, with whom he stayed while in Kerry, said people had gathered to honour "a beautiful man" and a "truly extraordinary" climber. "I saw him as an artist," he added.

Towards the end of the ceremony, Nicki, tearful throughout the hour-long ceremony, spoke briefly of her father who was "louder" than most people and larger than life.

Flowers were brought to the scene along with a plaque made of local Valentia slate. A haunting rendition on the bagpipes of the Blasket island elegy 'Port na bPucai', an air said to echo the journey of the departing soul, ended the ceremony.

Those on the cliff waved to the divers on the boats below.

Mr Moriarty asked for prayers that the ongoing search would bring closure for Mr Reardon's friends and family.

Partner macherry

Jul 18, 2007, 3:20 PM
Post #93 of 134 (14181 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brenwhelan] Michael Reardon missing in Ireland [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Bren

overlord

Jul 18, 2007, 5:00 PM
Post #94 of 134 (14037 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
overlord wrote:
edited to add: if the owners are going to start the 'in memoriam' feature or its quvivalent, if michel reardon doesnt make it, it would be the right place to start.

The general consensus among the mods/staff is that we should wait for a final confirmation/official word before we start such a thread. There is a chance, slim though it may be, that Michael is found. He's a strong man, and stranger things have happened.

ditto that, i wholeheartedly agree with you.

that is why i wrote in the same post 'he is a great climber', 'he is one of the early members' etcWink

i really do hope he makes it.

Partner johnnym

Jul 18, 2007, 8:11 PM
Post #95 of 134 (13870 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brenwhelan] Michael Reardon missing in Ireland [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bren, Thanks for that account. I am genuinely sorry that I didn't manage to get there even though I tried. I asked Mark Niles to say a prayer for me and to have a pint and a wee one. I am really moved by your eloquence in telling us all about the gathering. I think that folks are probably only now getting the feel of how many lives Michael has touched in a humble and gentle manner, despite his "louder than most" exterior.
A wonderful guy to have as a friend!
John

miker

Jul 18, 2007, 9:11 PM
Post #96 of 134 (13798 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnnym] Michael Reardon missing in Ireland [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

crap!!

I only climbed with Mike once at a rc gathering at JT but the tears won't stop falling.

He was a bright light that went out too early.

socaldudefromquebec

Jul 18, 2007, 10:10 PM
Post #97 of 134 (13721 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johnnym] Michael Reardon missing in Ireland [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not wanting to take anything from Bren... but let's give credit where credit is due... the text in Bren's post is actually a direct copy/paste job from the article listed at the top of the first post on this thread (edited by knitclimb on Jul 18, 2007, 5:13 AM).
Here is the link again.
http://www.independent.ie/...lifftop-1039283.html

It is Anne Lucey's eloquence that moved us all.

Partner macherry

Jul 18, 2007, 10:38 PM
Post #98 of 134 (13666 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socaldudefromquebec] Michael Reardon missing in Ireland [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

socaldudefromquebec wrote:
Not wanting to take anything from Bren... but let's give credit where credit is due... the text in Bren's post is actually a direct copy/paste job from the article listed at the top of the first post on this thread (edited by knitclimb on Jul 18, 2007, 5:13 AM).
Here is the link again.

indeed, i was thanking Bren for posting it

Partner johnnym

Jul 19, 2007, 8:12 AM
Post #99 of 134 (13445 views)
Shortcut

Re: [socaldudefromquebec] Michael Reardon missing in Ireland [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

socaldudefromquebec wrote:
Here is the link again.

OK my bad! My fault for not looking further than this thread, but eloquent anyway. Still wishing I had managed to get there!
JM

toohigh

Jul 19, 2007, 4:43 PM
Post #100 of 134 (13305 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dear Michael,
Up up and away! thanks for making all of us believe!

-john

p.s. this just proves that ocean > rock

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : In Memory Of

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook