Forums: Rockclimbing.com: Suggestions & Feedback:
Rumney fall thread locked. Info, please?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

fitzontherocks

Jul 20, 2007, 6:29 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1461 views)
Shortcut

Rumney fall thread locked. Info, please?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I can understand why the thread about the 12-year old's fall at Rumney was locked. It had gotten into a Major/Majid flamefest. My question is why the last page of posts was deleted. The last time I read it, it had several more responses. And frankly, I was interested to see how certain people were going to respond. Anyone? Buehler?

thomasribiere

Jul 20, 2007, 8:18 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1368 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fitzontherocks] Rumney fall thread locked. Info, please? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just went to the bin to read the split 18 posts. Frankly, you didn't miss anything : flamefest, bashing, insults, quoted quotes... So you know.

fitzontherocks

Jul 20, 2007, 8:22 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1356 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thomasribiere] Rumney fall thread locked. Info, please? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What are "split posts"? And so those posts actually DO exist? Why were they lopped off, though?

Gmburns2000

Jul 20, 2007, 8:29 PM
Post #4 of 9 (1332 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thomasribiere wrote:
I just went to the bin to read the split 18 posts. Frankly, you didn't miss anything : flamefest, bashing, insults, quoted quotes... So you know.

I wonder if they cut off at the point they did for a reason, to make it look as if everyone had settled down and ended the conversation. Probably a good idea.

thomasribiere

Jul 20, 2007, 8:29 PM
Post #5 of 9 (1330 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Split posts is an old functionality of this site (it existed before the move), which allows mods to split some posts from an existing thread to create a new one. The aim: either creating a new useful thread whose topic is important enough to be discussed separatedy, or sending a cluster of posts to the Bin (a forum where mods send trash - a nasty but funny place to go to, but only for a few minutes).

And as I said above, those posts were lopped off (I didn't know this expression, thanks!) because they were breaking the rules and added nothing to the thread, but insults or bashing.

fitzontherocks

Jul 20, 2007, 8:39 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1308 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I trust you when you say there was nothing significant in those posts, but I know that I posted some things-- questions, mainly, asking what "facts" had entered into the discussion-- and I wanted to see what response I got. But Thomas, with all due respect, this smacks just a bit of censorship. Someone-- other than the posters and interested parties-- decided that this certain portion of the discussion needed to go away.

ddt

Jul 20, 2007, 8:42 PM
Post #7 of 9 (1301 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fitzontherocks wrote:
What are "split posts"? And so those posts actually DO exist? Why were they lopped off, though?

As you may know, our forums are "threaded", in the sense that each post is a reply to an earlier post. We have the ability to split and move a particular "thread" of posts, i.e. a post with all replies to it, and all replies to those replies and so forth.

In this case, a "thread" of 18 posts was split and moved (by me) to the recycle bin, an area only accessible to moderators. The first post in the "thread" was a blatant personal attack for which the poster received a temporary ban from the forum. The additional 17 replies were, predictably, a series of counter-attacks and flames, with the occasional oohh and aahh from the curious spectators. Not only had this entire "thread" no relevance to the original topic, it also displayed exactly the sort of childish flamefest that we're trying to get rid of on Rockclimbing.com.

DDT

Edited to add: fitzontherocks, there was indeed one question of yours caught in the crossfire. I'll see if I can isolate this and place it back in the thread.

(This post was edited by ddt on Jul 20, 2007, 8:49 PM)

thomasribiere

Jul 20, 2007, 8:43 PM
Post #8 of 9 (1300 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, fitz, it's our role! So there's nothing surprising in it.
I PM you.

ddt

Jul 20, 2007, 9:30 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1238 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ddt] Rumney fall thread locked. Info, please? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ddt wrote:
fitzontherocks, there was indeed one question of yours caught in the crossfire. I'll see if I can isolate this and place it back in the thread.

I'll PM you the posts related to your questions fitzontherocks, for your reference. I can't actually re-attach them, plus I'm not inclined to place them back in the thread as they add little value to the original topic.

DDT

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook