First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

brenwhelan

Jul 19, 2007, 5:19 PM
Post #101 of 134 (17620 views)
Shortcut

Re: [toohigh] Michael Reardon missing in Ireland [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hum, I missed Ann's name from the bottom of the posting, sorry!

crackrn

Jul 19, 2007, 5:41 PM
Post #102 of 134 (17579 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brenwhelan] Michael Reardon missing in Ireland [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I met Mike a couple times: once in the gym in San Diego and then again in Joshua Tree a couple months later. I was very new to climbing and didn't know who he was until reading about him in various mags. The thing that stands out is that no one was a stranger to him. He talked to everyone as if he'd known them for years; one of the friendliest, outgoing climbers I'd met.
I know there's still hope but feel so sad for his family.

sancho

Jul 19, 2007, 8:16 PM
Post #103 of 134 (17470 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crackrn] Michael Reardon missing in Ireland [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I met Michael only once, but I will never forget the encounter. I was climbing at Tahquitz with a friend, on a route that is honestly quite easy. Let's face it, I am a crappy climber. We were about half way up the route and were having a good time, especially since I hadn't lead trad in a while. All of a sudden, I saw a guy with a crazy bunch of blond hair who appeared to be coming down the route. He got a bit closer and yes, he was coming down the route, but even more surprising, his gear consisted of headphones and a chalk bag.

Being sort of a competitive person, I immediately felt like a chump - someone was free-soloing down a route that I was leading up. I think Michael realized this, somehow, and we had a surprisingly long conversation there while hanging out on the side of a cliff.

In that brief conversation, he turned out to be one of the most encouraging, supportive and genuine people I have ever met. By the time we parted, I felt really good about myself and what I was doing. Hell, I was doing and not sitting at home watching t.v. like the rest of America. Who cares what the rating on the climb was!

Prior to the encounter, I had heard of Michael in the climbing magazines. I would say that I had some preconceived notions of him; what kind of nut job with a death wish free solos 5.12? He has a family? But in all honest, after meeting him just that one time, I was amazed by his energy, intensity and the extremely positive vibe that he gave off. Michael was alive and I could tell that he loved life. Maybe he was a bit crazy, but man, he was having fun and he was living.

Rest in peace.

i.karen

Jul 21, 2007, 3:39 AM
Post #104 of 134 (17043 views)
Shortcut

Michael Reardon missing in Ireland [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I got the news this evening and my heart goes out to Marci and Niki. My husband and I have climbed with Mike many of times and I have always had so much respect for him. He is full of energy and always knows how to make me smile. Mike you have touched so many peoples lives and we are hoping for a miracle.

We love you!!
Karen, Adam and family

Partner rrrADAM

Jul 21, 2007, 7:13 PM
Post #105 of 134 (16905 views)
Shortcut

Re: [i.karen] Michael Reardon missing in Ireland [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Mike is/was a friend of mine, and I was aquainted with both his wife and his daughter... I remember bouldering with Mike and Nikki a few years ago at Stoney Point. We, my wife (post above) and I, have camped with them, and I have climbed with Mike often at J-Tree, Malibu, and Needles. He is/was an inspiration to me, and inspired me to climb harder, and for different reasons... But more importantly, he is/was a friend, and his form of banter and playfullness will be missed... I remember bouldering with him and friends in J-Tree, and was locked off on a thin crimper groping blindly for the sloper on the top of the problem with Mike on top trying to tell me where it was, but I was looking at the crimper... He kept telling me to look up, and when I finally did, I saw his bare ass just 6 inches from my face, which of course caused me to fall off in laughter, to which he said, "ha-ha, no onsight for you!".

I love ya brutha.

(This post was edited by rrrADAM on Jul 21, 2007, 7:19 PM)

overlord

Jul 22, 2007, 9:23 AM
Post #106 of 134 (16758 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrrADAM] Michael Reardon missing in Ireland [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rrrADAM wrote:
Mike is/was a friend of mine, and I was aquainted with both his wife and his daughter... I remember bouldering with Mike and Nikki a few years ago at Stoney Point. We, my wife (post above) and I, have camped with them, and I have climbed with Mike often at J-Tree, Malibu, and Needles. He is/was an inspiration to me, and inspired me to climb harder, and for different reasons... But more importantly, he is/was a friend, and his form of banter and playfullness will be missed... I remember bouldering with him and friends in J-Tree, and was locked off on a thin crimper groping blindly for the sloper on the top of the problem with Mike on top trying to tell me where it was, but I was looking at the crimper... He kept telling me to look up, and when I finally did, I saw his bare ass just 6 inches from my face, which of course caused me to fall off in laughter, to which he said, "ha-ha, no onsight for you!".

I love ya brutha.

LOL, great story.

curt

Jul 24, 2007, 3:33 AM
Post #107 of 134 (16340 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rrrADAM] Michael Reardon missing in Ireland [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

On You tube....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnsShKeYYU8

Curt

Partner rrrADAM

Jul 24, 2007, 5:30 AM
Post #108 of 134 (16292 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Michael Reardon missing in Ireland [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanx for the link Curt.

notapplicable

Jul 24, 2007, 11:27 AM
Post #109 of 134 (16248 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Michael Reardon missing in Ireland [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
On You tube....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnsShKeYYU8

Curt

If I was a crying man, that might have done me in.

A touching piece about a beautiful person.

rx_7addict

Jul 25, 2007, 3:29 PM
Post #110 of 134 (16047 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Michael Reardon missing in Ireland [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

can someone tell me why this is stickied?

i.karen

Jul 25, 2007, 3:45 PM
Post #111 of 134 (16021 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rx_7addict] Michael Reardon missing in Ireland [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just wanted to post this if anyone was interested! If we lived a little closer we would defiently be there. If anyone hears of one in Southern California please post!

Karen

http://www.rockandice.com/inthemag.php?id=36&type=onlinenews

overlord

Jul 25, 2007, 3:51 PM
Post #112 of 134 (16006 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rx_7addict] Michael Reardon missing in Ireland [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rx_7addict wrote:
can someone tell me why this is stickied?

because he is a great climber and a member of the site. and because a lot of ppl care about him. yes, even some cold-hearted modsWink

ddt

Jul 25, 2007, 6:42 PM
Post #113 of 134 (15923 views)
Shortcut

Re: [overlord] Michael Reardon missing in Ireland [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's with a heavy heart that I move this to "In Memory Of".

My sincerest condolences to all Mike's family and friends. What a huge loss to the climbing community.

DDT

ddt

Jul 25, 2007, 6:45 PM
Post #114 of 134 (15917 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ddt] Michael Reardon missing in Ireland [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm adding a post from a second thread that was started in this forum:

ez wrote:
We here in Boulder CO. are putting on a fund raiser for Mike's family:
Thursday, July, 26 @ 8:00pm
@ The Spot Bouldering Gym.
There will be beer, food, a raffle and slide show.
$10.00 for all the above.

Michael Reardon
7/14/2007
As I sit here contemplating what to do next, I am staring at the Rockies with a massive storm pounding the mountain range with a purple furry of rain and lightning. I just hung up the phone with my good buddy Buck and he just informed me about a mutual friend not only to myself and Buck, but to the climbing community as a whole. I guess Michael Reardon has fallen into the ocean while checking out a climb on the coast of Ireland. A rogue wave washed Mike into the ocean and swept him out to sea. Another climber that was with Mike, called the Coast Guard and other authorities for help on Friday. They are still searching for him. There are articles on line for the full details.
He was just in town not but a month ago and we drank beer laughing about stupid shit. Mike has made a name for himself with his amazing solos, but he will always be just Mike, the kind of guy who screams hello from across the bar and always shakes your hand with a huge smile on his face. Genuine is the one word that I would use to describe Mike. A lot of people talked a lot of shit about Mike’s accomplishments, but he did what he loved to do. I get pissed when people have to down talk anyone who does something big even if it is out of character. Mike was one of those people who liked everyone and never judged anyone who was maybe not as crazy as he was or didn’t climb as hard. In my eyes, Mike was just being Mike and living life as he knew how. He loved his family, his friends and his climbing. I am happy for Mike, because he did what he loved to do and proved everyone wrong.
I bumped into Mike years ago in Bishop while he was working on “High Plains Drifter”. He was having a hell of a time. He tried and tried, but couldn’t send on that trip. I would bump into him at JTree after he just soloed some route and asked if I would go with. There was no way I was going to go soloing, and I thought to myself, you crazy bastard, you can solo this, but you can’t do “High Plains Drifter”. He eventually sent “High Plains Drifter”, but I would always trip how he could do such hard ass routes and not do “High Plains”. I have no idea what his motivation was or why he did what he did, but I do know, he did do what he did and he did it well.
I don’t want to think that he is gone forever; I want to have hope that the Coast Guard will find him in some cave just kickin it, waiting for the seas to calm down. Mike, if you are out there, come home and make us all laugh again.
Thank you for reading this and please pray for Mike and his family.

Eric “EZ” Harrison

I'm also deleting the other thread so we have this merged.

DDT

petsfed

Jul 25, 2007, 7:25 PM
Post #115 of 134 (15872 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ddt] Michael Reardon missing in Ireland [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think I speak for a lot of people who, having never even met the man, refuse to admit in any way that Mike could be gone.

Like I said, Mike has done some things that I don't really approve of. But everything I've heard about him, every first hand account has led me to believe that he didn't expect approval, that what other people thought really didn't matter to him. I think its a lie to say that he was the very best of us, but he led a life that we all wished, in some way, that we could have. Life in every breath.

I'm not a sentimental guy, but this one gets to me, still. I think the best memorial we could ever offer to Michael Reardon is not any sort of physical artifact, but to live our lives in such a way that every day could be our last.

I always thought that Dylan Thomas' Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night was a terrible eulogy as it urged the dieing to fight to the very last breath, not the living to accept the passing of one held dear. So I think instead it fits as an admonition to all of us, those who knew him, those who didn't, to live life exactly as Michael did. Life is too short to put off until tomorrow what you can surely do today.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

reno

Jul 25, 2007, 8:18 PM
Post #116 of 134 (15816 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] Michael Reardon missing in Ireland [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"If the dead can come back to this earth and flit unseen around those they loved, I shall always be near you; in the garish day and in the darkest night -- amidst your happiest scenes and gloomiest hours -- always, always; and if there be a soft breeze upon your cheek, it shall be my breath; or the cool air fans your throbbing temple, it shall be my spirit passing by."

-- Major Sullivan Ballou, Union Army, 1861.

fenix83

Jul 27, 2007, 5:58 PM
Post #117 of 134 (15564 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] Michael Reardon missing in Ireland [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What we have done for ourselves alone dies with us; what we have done for others and the world remains and is immortal.
-Albert Pike

Rest well knowing that you will live forever in the hearts of all you knew and of many you did not.

-F

knitclimb

Jul 30, 2007, 2:56 AM
Post #118 of 134 (15399 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knitclimb] Michael Reardon missing in Ireland [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Official Michael Reardon Memorial Set For August 18, 2007

http://thehendricksreport.wordpress.com/...-for-august-18-2007/
In reply to:
A special service to celebrate the life of Michael Reardon, who tragically disappeared off the coast of Ireland two weeks ago, will be held on August 18, 2007.

This special service will be taking place at Malibu Creek State Park located 4 miles south of highway 101 on Las Virgenes/Malibu Canyon Road, 25 miles from downtown Los Angeles, California.

This will be the "Official&" Memorial and Service for Michael Reardon. Everyone is invited, but guests are being asked by the family to dress very casually in jeans or shorts and sneakers or flip-flops, Michael's preferred style of dress.

Marci and Nicki, Michael's wife and daughter, will be attending this special ceremony, as will many family members and friends.

If you can attend to show your support for this great family in these trying times, please make plans for August 18.

As far as I know, this is the first report of this Memorial Service anywhere else in the world, and as such, it is requested that you pass this information along as far and wide as you possibly can. This family deserves this special time and the more people involved, the better. Michael touched alot of lives through his own. His number 1 love in life was not climbing, but his family. It is time to show them all the appreciation.

(This post was edited by knitclimb on Jul 30, 2007, 12:21 PM)

climbs4fun

Jul 30, 2007, 6:41 AM
Post #119 of 134 (15369 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Does anybody know what time this service will take place?

Partner heximp

Jul 31, 2007, 4:22 PM
Post #120 of 134 (15200 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbs4fun] Michael Reardon missing in Ireland [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Marci is planning another memorial service later in August. I will post up when I have detailed information.

As for Michael, no one will ever replace him and neither would I want a replacement. He was so special that words can never captivate him.
He was a true friend, a great husband, fantastic father and a solid climber.

Sincerely,
Anastasia Frangos
[

knitclimb

Aug 1, 2007, 1:51 AM
Post #121 of 134 (15099 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Official Michael Reardon Celebration

http://thehendricksreport.wordpress.com/...07-more-info-update/

In reply to:
Celebrate Michael Reardon

April 18, 2007 - 9 am

Malibu Creek State Park, 1925 Las Virgenes Rd., Calabasas, CA 91302 (818)880-0367 for more info.

Dress: Climbing Casual.

Come ready to listen as Michael's friends and family celebrate his life, his accomplishments, and finally get a word in edgewise without his blessed interuptions. Bring your gear and climb with us when your done. FREE PARK ENTRY & PARKING

needlzdos

Aug 1, 2007, 2:24 AM
Post #122 of 134 (15073 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

knitclimb wrote:
Official Michael Reardon Celebration

http://thehendricksreport.wordpress.com/...07-more-info-update/

In reply to:
Celebrate Michael Reardon

April 18, 2007 - 9 am

Malibu Creek State Park, 1925 Las Virgenes Rd., Calabasas, CA 91302 (818)880-0367 for more info.

Dress: Climbing Casual.

Come ready to listen as Michael's friends and family celebrate his life, his accomplishments, and finally get a word in edgewise without his blessed interuptions. Bring your gear and climb with us when your done. FREE PARK ENTRY & PARKING

You mean August, not april.

rome2282

Aug 2, 2007, 6:52 PM
Post #123 of 134 (14895 views)
Shortcut

Re: [needlzdos] Michael Reardon missing in Ireland [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been laid up from surgery for awhile now. I can honestly say I'm stunned. Even in a such a dangerous sport, this still shocks me. I could honestly say he was one of the people I looked up to the most. It takes a lot to be held up so high by so many people who never even met you. His mixture of fearlessness and caution is something that i've tried to apply to many things outside of climbing. I'm still stunned.....

Frown

charlie_benton

Aug 4, 2007, 8:13 PM
Post #124 of 134 (14634 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rome2282] Michael Reardon missing in Ireland [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Is anyone going up to mikes celebration from San Diego. If so, I need to pay my respect and would greatly appreciate a ride.
thanks~CB

(This post was edited by charlie_benton on Aug 5, 2007, 8:32 AM)

mountainchick82

Aug 8, 2007, 12:12 AM
Post #125 of 134 (14267 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charlie_benton] Michael Reardon missing in Ireland [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I met Mike at Stoney, and I didn't know it was him at the time. He showed me a bouldering problem and I sat and watched him for awhile, just amazing.

My thoughts go out to his family and friends, he will be missed.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : In Memory Of

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook