Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Anything near Lake Harmony?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

clmbr121

Aug 12, 2007, 5:49 PM
Post #1 of 5 (3281 views)
Shortcut

Anything near Lake Harmony?  (North_America: United_States: Pennsylvania: Northeastern_Region)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all...heading up to Lake Harmony, PA (near Big Boulder) next weekend and I'm trying to track down any info about rock climbing in the area.

Anybody know of anything? I would be looking for top-roping primarily, as I'm the only one with any experience going, so it would be more of a recreational/instructional kind of day.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

crimpstrength

Aug 12, 2007, 7:54 PM
Post #2 of 5 (3274 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clmbr121] Anything near Lake Harmony? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Tilbury near Nanticoke is nice and is all top ropable. Personally, I would drive 2 hours and 15 minutes from Big Boulder, up 115 to 81 North to 84 East to the New York Thruway to the Poughkeepsie exit and climb and boulder at The Gunks.

I live in Wilkes Barre and The Gilded Otter in New Paltz is 2 hours door to door between 75 and 80 mph.

roclimb

Aug 12, 2007, 11:45 PM
Post #3 of 5 (3265 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crimpstrength] Anything near Lake Harmony? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

there is fantastic bouldering right in lake harmony. I put up about 200 boulder problems around there from 97 to 2001.

If you are looking for top roping, the closest would be "brown sugar wall" of the other cliffs at the FE Walter Dam--or the devils elbow near there for TR sandstone.

I agree with the above though, Mocanaqua or Tilbury is really good.
~ROb

brewer19

Aug 13, 2007, 3:10 PM
Post #4 of 5 (3255 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roclimb] Anything near Lake Harmony? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

roclimb wrote:
there is fantastic bouldering right in lake harmony. I put up about 200 boulder problems around there from 97 to 2001.

If you are looking for top roping, the closest would be "brown sugar wall" of the other cliffs at the FE Walter Dam--or the devils elbow near there for TR sandstone.

I agree with the above though, Mocanaqua or Tilbury is really good.
~ROb

what's the location of "brown sugar wall". i've never thought of climbing anything in and around the dam area, but now that i think of it there's probably a lot of decent bouldering at least.

clmbr121

Aug 14, 2007, 2:14 AM
Post #5 of 5 (3248 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roclimb] Anything near Lake Harmony? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Any beta/directions that you care to share? If you don't want to post publically, just send me an IM through RC.

I would have no issues heading up to the Gunks, but its mostly family going, and I'm not sure I would be able to either justify to them why they should go or why I should be allowed to leave for the day. Nice thought, though.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook