Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
EASY Tahoe Climbing?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

rockturtle

Aug 14, 2007, 5:08 PM
Post #1 of 6 (2819 views)
Shortcut

EASY Tahoe Climbing?  (North_America: United_States: California: Lake_Tahoe)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I’m looking for recommendations for VERY easy climbing north of Lake Tahoe.

I will be in Tahoe with my nieces (age 5 and 7) in a few weeks time, and they’d like to try climbing. We will be staying near Alpine Meadows.

I’ve poked around in the routes database for the Tahoe area, but I suspect my nieces are not yet ready for even the easiest routes listed there.

Can anyone suggest a nearby place (within an established crag or otherwise) where they could explore some truly easy (4th class, 5.0) rock? Perhaps one of the established areas has some low angle, highly featured faces nearby that would allow for top-roping? “Low-key” or undeveloped areas would of course be preferable -- we don’t want to get in anyone’s way.

I should note that I’m a reasonably experienced climber, and would be comfortable setting up anchors on trees, bolts, or trad gear. (Though if someone bothered to bolt it, it’s likely too hard for my nieces.)

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

tylerm

Aug 14, 2007, 5:17 PM
Post #2 of 6 (2809 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockturtle] EASY Tahoe Climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There's a place called the schoolroom slabs up at Donner Summit near the top - this section has many topropes that likely will suit your needs.

Also may try the Hogsback at Lover's Leap - but I am unsure about how hard they are.

Hope this helps

Tyler

caughtinside

Aug 14, 2007, 5:18 PM
Post #3 of 6 (2808 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is a spot at Donner Summit called schoolroom slab or something like that, that seems to be popular with beginners. There are lots of other 4th class slabs around there you could probably throw a TR on too.

Lover's Leap and the Hogsback each have a bunch of 3rd and 4th class stuff at their east ends as well.

dingus

Aug 14, 2007, 5:28 PM
Post #4 of 6 (2801 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] EASY Tahoe Climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Head up old Hwy 40 past Donner Lake toward Donner Summit. You'll go over a cool arch bridge, then pass the Pacific Crest Trail (just after the bridge).

Just after that you'll come across a moderate slab of rock right at the level of the road, a 1 minute approach. This is the School Rock area. School Rock is actually up above the slab I think, up where Kindergarten Crack is, a classic area ropeless scramble.

But that lower slab is a great place to TR the kids. And of course its usually swarmed on the weekends.

Oh, you can hike up the PCT toward Grouse Slabs for some nice bouldering too.

DMT

ps. Lovers Leap is a good 1.5 hour drive one way from Truckee, I wouldn't think that's what you're after

pps. The slab I mentioned above was well featured in some cornball climbing movie produced my a high school kid, I forget the name.... Extreme Edge or something rad like that. They held a climbing contest on this slab, which when you see it will produce a giggle or two.

(This post was edited by dingus on Aug 14, 2007, 5:29 PM)

rockturtle

Aug 15, 2007, 3:50 PM
Post #5 of 6 (2757 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] EASY Tahoe Climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks everyone for the prompt and informative replies -- I really appreciate the advice.

The places you suggest (especially Donner Summit / School Rock) sound just right.

desertwanderer81

Sep 9, 2008, 7:18 PM
Post #6 of 6 (2304 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't underestimate the littleones. Those little guys have little needles for fingers which can latch onto almost anything! It really is amazing what they can climb =)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook