Forums: Community: Campground:
Keychain Biner
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

 


rogue10186


Aug 14, 2007, 10:56 AM
Post #1 of 17 (1587 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 4, 2005
Posts: 937

Keychain Biner
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, so I'm bored at work and was wondering how many other people out there use full-strength 'biners for their keyring? I personally use an old Bonati D-biner marked in Kg instead of kn... should I retire this carabiner as it could have stress cracks? If so what type of biner does everyone else out there use so I can get an idea on what to look for at the base of the crag.


thomasribiere


Aug 14, 2007, 11:33 AM
Post #2 of 17 (1574 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Aug 24, 2002
Posts: 9306

Re: [rogue10186] Keychain Biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My keys are already too heavy and voluminous to have a 'biner added on the keyring! So not for me.


kriso9tails


Aug 14, 2007, 11:48 AM
Post #3 of 17 (1566 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jun 30, 2001
Posts: 7764

Re: [rogue10186] Keychain Biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rogue10186 wrote:
Ok, so I'm bored at work and was wondering how many other people out there use full-strength 'biners for their keyring? I personally use an old Bonati D-biner marked in Kg instead of kn... should I retire this carabiner as it could have stress cracks? If so what type of biner does everyone else out there use so I can get an idea on what to look for at the base of the crag.

No need to retire it; just try not to let your keys take any factor two falls off it.


limeydave


Aug 14, 2007, 11:59 AM
Post #4 of 17 (1559 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 23, 2006
Posts: 2453

Re: [rogue10186] Keychain Biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rogue10186 wrote:
Ok, so I'm bored at work and was wondering how many other people out there use full-strength 'biners for their keyring? I personally use an old Bonati D-biner marked in Kg instead of kn... should I retire this carabiner as it could have stress cracks? If so what type of biner does everyone else out there use so I can get an idea on what to look for at the base of the crag.

You might want to consider wearing a helmet with dodgy old gear like that. Better safe than sorry.

And maybe tape up your tendons before torqueing on the keys incase the stress fractures explode while you're opening the front door.


Partner epoch
Moderator

Aug 14, 2007, 12:00 PM
Post #5 of 17 (1557 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 27, 2005
Posts: 32104

Re: [rogue10186] Keychain Biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Neutrino.

People seem to think that it is a toy biner. Knowing is half the battle.


traddad


Aug 14, 2007, 12:13 PM
Post #6 of 17 (1552 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Dec 14, 2001
Posts: 7129

Re: [epoch] Keychain Biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
Neutrino.

People seem to think that it is a toy biner. Knowing is half the battle.
Me too.
It allows me to attach my keys to something rather than setting them down and losing them.....that and play Batman......


robbovius


Aug 14, 2007, 12:45 PM
Post #7 of 17 (1539 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 20, 2002
Posts: 8405

Re: [traddad] Keychain Biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

traddad wrote:
epoch wrote:
Neutrino.

People seem to think that it is a toy biner. Knowing is half the battle.
Me too.
It allows me to attach my keys to something rather than setting them down and losing them.....that and play Batman......


no, my enormo keyring has not, one, not two, but three key-biners, though the main biner is a screwgate...cheezy, marked "not for climbing" but a screwgate none the less.

attached to the screwgate key biner, though, is an OP quickdraw dogbone that I carry the keyring by. I liberated the carabiners from the quickdraw once I realized I was a traddie, and sport was not my path to enlightenment.

I bought a couple Petzl Nanos, I use one of them for my most frequently used shoes, and the other for my second nut-tool.


Partner epoch
Moderator

Aug 14, 2007, 3:16 PM
Post #8 of 17 (1518 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 27, 2005
Posts: 32104

Re: [robbovius] Keychain Biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

robbovius wrote:
traddad wrote:
epoch wrote:
Neutrino.

People seem to think that it is a toy biner. Knowing is half the battle.
Me too.
It allows me to attach my keys to something rather than setting them down and losing them.....that and play Batman......


no, my enormo keyring has not, one, not two, but three key-biners, though the main biner is a screwgate...cheezy, marked "not for climbing" but a screwgate none the less.

attached to the screwgate key biner, though, is an OP quickdraw dogbone that I carry the keyring by. I liberated the carabiners from the quickdraw once I realized I was a traddie, and sport was not my path to enlightenment.

I bought a couple Petzl Nanos, I use one of them for my most frequently used shoes, and the other for my second nut-tool.
I thought that you were a gear whore. Those of us who are, have a set of draws for that just in case we want to play with the kids moment...


jakedatc


Aug 14, 2007, 8:18 PM
Post #9 of 17 (1501 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Mar 12, 2003
Posts: 11054

Re: [epoch] Keychain Biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

/me dons troll suit Rob did you go sport climbing? ;) Angelic /hangs it up one day... one day

my keys have a tiny wiregate biner. I don't think i'd like a full size biner.

yes.. nutrinos are tiny.. but those Nano's are just plain freaky.. they don't even feel metallic


(This post was edited by jakedatc on Aug 14, 2007, 8:19 PM)


petsfed


Aug 14, 2007, 9:12 PM
Post #10 of 17 (1494 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Sep 24, 2002
Posts: 8595

Re: [rogue10186] Keychain Biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I use a bit of accessory cord to unite all of my key rings. I stopped carrying a crab for all of them years ago. I'm quite bored with every poseur with a Petzl Spirit clipped to the exterior of his pack, just to look "core". What next, a #6 C4? Its an ostentatious display of wealth, not some kind of secret sign to others within the tribe.


rogue10186


Aug 14, 2007, 9:28 PM
Post #11 of 17 (1489 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 4, 2005
Posts: 937

Re: [petsfed] Keychain Biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh I know the group you're talking about, I just use the old bonati b/c I found it laying around my grandpa's garage and it makes it waaayy easier to get my keys out of my pocket when they're clipped to the 'biner and the biner clipped inside the lip of the pocket. I'd never clip it to the outside of something, way to jangly.

edited to add: Flogging Molly kicks ass.


(This post was edited by rogue10186 on Aug 14, 2007, 9:29 PM)


robbovius


Aug 15, 2007, 4:25 AM
Post #12 of 17 (1478 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 20, 2002
Posts: 8405

Re: [jakedatc] Keychain Biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
/me dons troll suit Rob did you go sport climbing? ;) Angelic /hangs it up one day... one day
no, but I've LOOKED at bolts, and they didnt' look like the Grail. ;-)

In reply to:
but those Nano's are just plain freaky.. they don't even feel metallic

I know, I have yet to put a runner between them and clip anything.

I have more fricken key biners than is healthy. I I carried my old cel phone on an actual BD-made key biner, a small hard plastic replica of a hotwire.


brewer19


Aug 15, 2007, 5:48 AM
Post #13 of 17 (1470 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 15, 2007
Posts: 114

Re: [rogue10186] Keychain Biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mine are on a lanyard clipped into my belt loop. i use an extra locker just because it's always nice to have one handy and it never leaves my side.

most common use: opening beer bottles.


florida-rock


Aug 15, 2007, 2:37 PM
Post #14 of 17 (1448 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 22, 2007
Posts: 19

Re: [brewer19] Keychain Biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My work keys are on a Boy Scout biner. My personal keys are on three separate keychains. I have an army mechanics bag they live in with my wallet and other necessaries. My wife calls it a man purse. We all know better though, don't we, men? <<<growl growl>>>


bent_gate


Aug 15, 2007, 6:31 PM
Post #15 of 17 (1439 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 1, 2004
Posts: 2620

Re: [rogue10186] Keychain Biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I got tired of seeing everyones keys hanging off of climbing biners as well. So now I hang my keys off of a full quickdraw. I hook the top biner to my belt loop, and my keys to the bottom biner. I did it to one-up everyone else. I'm so cool, I know it will catch on...


rogue10186


Aug 15, 2007, 9:20 PM
Post #16 of 17 (1427 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 4, 2005
Posts: 937

Re: [bent_gate] Keychain Biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Well hell if you're gonna do that, you might as well just start wearing a swammi and hang them off of the haul loop. You can never be to careful.


lilvicks22


Aug 8, 2013, 6:17 PM
Post #17 of 17 (1333 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 7, 2013
Posts: 15

Re: [bent_gate] Keychain Biner [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

LOL why not wear a PAS for a belt and clip your keys off of that. Laugh


Forums : Community : Campground

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$12.56 (10% off)
$8.55 (10% off)
$12.56 (10% off)
$292.46 (10% off)



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook