RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

wigglestick

Oct 3, 2001, 10:00 PM
Post #1 of 6 (3778 views)
Shortcut

Splitter gear 2 cams
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was just wondering if anybody has played with these new toys and what you thought of them. They are 52 bucks each so they are definately no bargain. But they intrigue me. Any opinions
www.splittergear.com

daryl512

Oct 4, 2001, 7:23 AM
Post #2 of 6 (3778 views)
Shortcut

Splitter gear 2 cams [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't own one but a friend has one and I was able to fiddle with his for a while. I really don't think that they are worth the $$ yet. I mean they aren't breakthrough technology opening up new route potential or anything so I can't justify spending that much on a cam that hasn't paid it's dues yet. the lobes are really wide which seems more ideal for sandstone, I think the would be a little tricky in areas like the gunks with alot of features in the cracks.

Daryl

talons05

Oct 4, 2001, 5:10 PM
Post #3 of 6 (3778 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've looked at these some before. Their size and configuration really doesn't provide anything that you can't get out of a similarly priced cam. The only real benefit I can see is that they tend to fight "cam walking" since there are only two opposed lobes...

AW

elcapbuzz

Oct 4, 2001, 6:07 PM
Post #4 of 6 (3778 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I recently hooked up with Splitter Gear at the OR tradeshow. I agree with talons05 about "cam walking" I also agree that you wouldn't want "all" of your cams to be 2cams, but it makes a very nice supplement to your other gear. The one thing that seperates 2cams from other gear is; it only has one trigger cable on one side and one side is flatter than other gear. (aleins, etc.) This allows shallower pocket placements and the trigger cable doesn't get in the way of the crack. Now, I'm not pluging Splitter Gear because they sponsor me, I truly think they have a place in the climbing world. Check out splittergear.com

number7

Oct 4, 2001, 7:25 PM
Post #5 of 6 (3778 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I WOULD HAVE TO AGREE WITH DARYL512 ABOUT SPLITTERS BEING GOOD ON LIMESTONE BUT NOT AS EFFECTIVE ELSEWERE. I'M FROM THE NORTHEAST WITH A LOT OF QUARTZITE THAT CAN BE QUITE CHUNKY SOMETIMES. ALTHOUGH I HAVEN'T USED THEM, IT SEEMS THEY WOULDN'T BE TOO EFFECTIVE. IT SEEMS THERE ARE MORE OPTINS FOR THE "TRAD" GEAR.

jsm280

Oct 4, 2001, 8:14 PM
Post #6 of 6 (3778 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

With the wider area on the 2 cam you can acually end up with less surface area on the rock if the placement is in something other than a smooth crack. This is where 3 and 4 cam units are nice. They conform better to the rock giving better holding power. Just invision.... a crack or pocket that is not flat and something wide sitting on that surface.... BAD.

These are better if you are in soft rock that is flat, or a close to perfect flat area in a crack because you then get more surface area on the rock and if the rock is soft it is less likley to give.

Also figure PSI of the surface area of the cam. This can become a long discussion if you are not fimiliar with basic engineering concepts. In a nut shell a very large surface area can actually have less holding power compaired to a smaller surface area. Trade offs and balance is what yo should look for.

BLA BLA BLA.....

For the price I will let them sit, I see no great advantage, in fact a disadvantage for the places I climb.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook