RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

Partner sauron

Oct 7, 2002, 2:04 PM
Post #1 of 14 (4143 views)
Shortcut

WMCC Quartz Mtn Gathering
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

And now, for your host: clymbr_chk!!

- d.

Partner calamity_chk

Oct 7, 2002, 2:08 PM
Post #2 of 14 (4143 views)
Shortcut

WMCC Quartz Mtn Gathering [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

LoL .. thanks dom ..

welp, another cool gathering has come to pass, though this one was driven by the WMCC moreso than the site. I would like to thank the guys who helped organize and host this shin-dig .. it was, by far, one of the most fun trips that I've attended. It even gave the SLC JA crew a run for their money in terms of fun .. all we lacked was an aquatic center.

Anyways, we splintered off in to several groups by day, so hopefully everyone will pop in to better represent what routes were climbed. I spent most of my weekend trailing Wroyce and Bean, who were kind enough to allow my kiddo and I to ride their ropes. On Saturday, Bryan, John, Wroyce, Preston and I did Super Slide and a couple of the other routes near there. (I dont have my notes with me .. arg! .. but there were a couple of 10's and an 8.) Sean and Martha also did Super Slide, after warming up on Monkey with a Football.

During the lunch break, I had my first (and humbling) bouldering experience. I dont know the name or the rating of the problem, just that it didnt seem to like me very much.

After lunch, Wroyce, Bean, and I went back up and climbed the Hobit, a nice little 5.7 (well, a "quartz 5.7") 2 pitch route. Reveled in the exposure and watched the sunset from the top. Definitely a fun route and great experience .. highly recommended !

Saturday evening, I initiated several members of the WMCC into the world of the bop-it .. we had so much bop-it fun, in fact, that the batteries were dead by morning. There were also some very impressive slackliners present who wow'd and impressed us with all kinds of cool slackline party tricks .. after the football game, of course. (For those who dont know .. OU beat Missouri, 31-24, thanks to an impressive td in the last few minutes of the game .. yay ! .. but I'll let bean provide the exciting deals on that .. )

Sunday, our climbing was short-lived due to a severe rainstorm .. but even with the rain, this was definitely a trip worthwhile. I'm glad to have made it !

Thanks Guys !

hugepedro

Oct 7, 2002, 4:05 PM
Post #3 of 14 (4143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Man, I had a great time! Didn't get to meet as many people as I would have liked - too busy climbing!

We got there Friday afternoon. I was surprised to find only 2 other cars in the lot. The Quartz Mountain Goat was perched up on lower Snake's Head over looking the parking lot, checking us out. After meeting and briefly chatting with Wroyce and Karie (who were very friendly, & Gracie too), we hit the rock. Monkey on a Football was an easy warm-up to get to the start of Hobbit. I thought Hobbit was a very enjoyable lead, easy to protect - I love the start of each of the pitches. We rapped off just as the sun was getting low, and we watch a herd of deer run through the field just south of Baldy - it was beautiful. More people had arrived, so we chatted a bit before heading down to Luigi's for dinner. We took Dave's advice and ordered the calzone with half & half sauce. Dave knew what he was talking about! When we got back from dinner our friends Frank and Suzy had arrived with the chiminea. We had a great time sitting around the fire sipping beverages while we watched crazy Dave solo Snake's Head in the dark to fix the rap line.

We got a late start Saturday morning. Frank and Annie and I were going to hit the Atlantic Wall, but when we saw that the S-Wall/Head Wall area was relatively empty we decided to climb there. Frank and I climbed Bourbon Street. We were going to do it as a party of 3, but I had mistakenly climbed past the normal belay under the nose and ended up building a somewhat thin anchor in the eye of the headwall (2 solid tricams, pink and red, and a questionable #3 TCU) - I didn't want 3 people on it, much less my girlfriend. It was a fun climb, with a little taste of Quartz runout - especially the shorter 2nd pitch which ran all the way from the belay to the rap anchor, there are good holds all the way though. Annie and I went back to Luigi's for dinner - couldn't resist the calzone! Bill and Vickie Thomas were there and they invited us to join them. I was in awe listening to Bill tell stories about the early days, he had some great tales about he and Duane Raleigh putting up routes.

Sunday morning Annie and I hit the Watch Me wall and climbed Texas Cruise, an interesting 5.8 with 3 cruxes, 1 at the start, 1 in the middle, and 1 at the finish, mixed in with some enjoyable crack, dihedral, and face moves. Just as Annie reached the belay the goat scrambled over the ridge about 40 feet right of us. He watched us a few moments then trotted off. That dude can climb! We rapped off just as the weather was starting to roll in, and hit the road back to Dallas.

A great time! I plan to spend more time at Quartz this fall and winter. I think I want to have a weenie-weekend and stay in that beautiful lodge sometime.

Next weekend - the WMCC Narrows trail project. We'll be there. I plan to hit the road early and get in some routes on Mt. Scott Friday afternoon. We usually find it practically deserted that time of the weekend. Look for the silver Rodeo and join us if you can.

Cheers,

Peter

chuckd278

Oct 7, 2002, 5:30 PM
Post #4 of 14 (4143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a great time also. I seem to everytime I go there. I only got in 5 routes. South America and Amazon Woman on Sat. and Accidents will happen, Super slide, and Got the juice on Sun. After climbing at Quartz for three years it finally happend to me. All of the people that I climb with who developed that area have told me that it is easy to move right past a bolt and not see it because of the suns glare. After making the second bolt clip I found myself running it out about 45 feet to a belay ledge. I know thats not a long runout at Quartz, but it just screws with your head knowing that you missed it. Anyway I survived. A thanks goes out to Mike Hankins for the help on Amazon Woman. Knowing the exact route can make all the difference.

I think Marion said 60 people showed up.

Chuck

[ This Message was edited by: chuckd278 on 2002-10-07 10:32 ]

hutch

Oct 7, 2002, 6:30 PM
Post #5 of 14 (4143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks to everyone who showed up and made
this year's Fall Gathering one of the best. It was great to see and meet so many new faces at Quartz. By my last count, there were just over 60 who attended (not counting dogs and goats). That's definitely a record.

I've said this many times, but we're very fortunate to have such an outstanding local climbing community (all of those who frequent the Wichita Mountains). Young honemasters and old farts alike, you won't find a more friendly group of climbers anywhere to spend the weekend with.

I hope to see some of you this Saturday and Sunday at the Refuge for the WMCC's Narrows Trail Project. For more information or to volunteer, visit the WMCC website at:

www.wichitamountains.org

And again, I encourage all climbers who value climbing in the Wichitas to join the WMCC.

Cheers!

Marion

superdiamonddave

Oct 7, 2002, 7:39 PM
Post #6 of 14 (4143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Our 6th Annual Quartz Mountain Fall Gathering was a great success. My thanks goes out to Marion and Terry for the great job you did weed-eating and opening so many awesome new camping spots amoung the Mesquite forest. It looked great!! I hope everyone can make the Spring Fling on the first weekend of April as well.

I won't be able to make the trail project at this time, but for those who have never done one, you won't be disappointed. You learn so much and the sense of accomplishment will stick with you a long time. I don't think you could ask for a better time of year to get out and do some trail maintenance.

ttfn,
Dave

bean

Oct 7, 2002, 9:20 PM
Post #7 of 14 (4143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sooooo FUN!! This was by far the most fun I have ever had on a climbing trip. Everyone was so nice and helpful.
Wroyce and I arrived at about eleven in the morning and nobody was there. We picked out the campsite we wanted (which I may add won the contest for most festive :> ) then we set up camp and relaxed for awhile. Later we went to find out which cabin we were going to be staying in, because we thought that sounded like fun. After we had unloaded the car we came back to Baldy and thought we would get in a few climbs. Here we met Peter and his lovely girlfriend. Wroyce and I went up to Super slide and did those few climbs around there before we got tired and hot. We went back to the cabin, had dinner, met up in the parking lot with those who chose to come on Friday night drank a few beers and left.
Saturday morning, Wroyce and I met up with Amber and her son, and Bryan and one of his friends. We did monkey with a football, and wroyce put the rope up on super slide so they could do it too. Wroyce and I went over to the gontlet and climbed on the famous Terry Andrews rope! (just teasin Terry) That was my second favorite climb of the trip. After dinner and a few relaxing hours, Amber Wroyce and I decided to tackle the Hobbit. My very first two pitch climb, and might I add one of the best experiences of my life. I loved it, especially when the sun was going down. The only bad thing was I had to rappell in the dark and it was my second time to rappell YIKES!!
That night I drank entirely too much and listened to the nail biter of a football game. It stressed me out! I witnessed some awesome slackliners.
Sunday Amber,her son,Wroyce and I climbed up the hardest way possible to South America wall then realized it was going to storm and chose to retreat...bummer. We got camp taken down just as the rain hit...
It was so much fun and I can't wait for April, thanks to everyone for being so kind.

[ This Message was edited by: bean on 2002-10-08 13:15 ]

Partner dpickard

Oct 8, 2002, 1:57 AM
Post #8 of 14 (4143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This was my first Quartz Mtn gathering and I had a great time. Marion, Terry and everyone else that organized it did an excellent job. There were 60 people total. Great turnout!

I arrived Friday night just before dark. It was great to meet all the people I had heard so many stories about, both legendary and infamous.

Saturday morning, James and I both led Romper Room while Terry led El Tesoro. We then left our ropes set up so others could climb those routes. Ted (coconutz) and his friend Joe climbed the Gaunlet and Field of Opportunity, right next to us. (BTW Ted, how's Joe's ankle doing?) Later on in the day, I led Last of the Good Guys, which definitely made my weekend. It's such a cool route. There was a pretty good size peanut gallery in the parking lot cheering me on, and in Hans' case, heckling me. Later on in the evening we had several grills fired up and everyone ate dinner and the drinking commenced. We listened to the OU-Missouri game on the radio. The Sooners were once again victorious! Then we moved on to drunken slacklining. All I have to say is thank God for crashpads. As the night wore on, stories, tall-tales, half-truths and flat-out lies were told by all, about both climbing abilities and sexual prowess. Needless to say, the conversation degenerated quickly.

Sunday morning came too soon. I had a rough night, so I took it easy, following Terry on Bourbon Street. I then retreated back to the parking lot for some much needed rest. After the effects of the previous night started to wear off, I did some bouldering with Matt (pushfurther). Then the thunderstorm rolled in. The place started to clear out fast. A few of us stayed around until everyone was off the rock. Terry and Julie, who had just led El Tesoro, were the last ones down. It looked like they had one hell of a descent. As soon as they walked into the parking lot, the rain started to let up. That figures.

I'll see you all at the next one, if not sooner!

dan

coconutz

Oct 8, 2002, 2:17 AM
Post #9 of 14 (4143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes the gathering was way cool. And yes Joe messed up his ankle somethin' feirce. It's kinda' green and purple and swollen to the size of a Tennis ball . Not cool Zeus, not cool. He can't really walk on it and he says it hurts a lot (if it hurts half as bad as it looks, then he is right b/c it looks bad.) He's optimistic, says he'll be on it next week, I think not. We both had fun and wished we coulda' stayed and partisipated in the dabotchery on Saturday night. We're planning on going back on the last week end in oct.
Thanx all for a rockin' time and hope to see you all out there in April

and BTW.........the new routes are ritous and are really nice and soild and well protected (for Quartz). El Toreso looked great, totally classic, thin edges, right where they need to be every time all the way to the top. Great stuff, great stuff

[ This Message was edited by: coconutz on 2002-10-07 19:22 ]

okieterry

Oct 8, 2002, 2:56 AM
Post #10 of 14 (4143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey! Where did everybody go? I wanted to thank all you rc.comers for coming to our little shindig. You guys were great and it was a real pleasure meeting you'all. I hope you come back.
Julie and I had a little adventure. After she followed me on Silent Scream (NO FALLS) she led the long 5.9 pitch (WAY TO GO JULIE!)on El Tesoro. It was thundering almost the whole time she was leading. I followed as fast as I could and then led through the overhangs. Then the rain started to fall as she followed. Once we were both at the top, we started slabbing to the rap off the headwall when Julie goes "Hey this is weird! All my hair is standing up!!" I took a few steps toward her amd walked into a column of air about 3 to 4 feet wide that seemed "thick" and really made the hair on my arms stand up. I said "forget the raps!" and began running to the notch to the east. We then hurried down the east slabs and it didn't start really pouring until we were near the ground. We laughed the whole way and got completely soaked. A great end for a great weekend. Thanks for Hans and Dan for staying around and making sure we got down ok.
Please, please, please, if you climb in the wichitas or quartz mtn., you should join the WMCC. We need you. Contact me or Marion or go to wichitamountains.org for info. Only $5.00 per year.
See ya,
Terry

bop it......twist it.....spin it......pull it...AAARRGGHHHHHHHHH

Partner camhead

Oct 8, 2002, 3:35 AM
Post #11 of 14 (4143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

damn, bummed that I missed it ya'll, even with the granite slabs.

cyberclimber

Oct 8, 2002, 1:08 PM
Post #12 of 14 (4143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm with Paul. For those of us that couldn't make it, could you all please make it sound a little less fun? All during my lovely 10 hour drive to Missouri Saturday and the return Sunday, I kept muttering under my breath, "I could have been climbing, I could have been climbing." Everyone got very tired of me pointing to the rock at every road cut and commenting on the rock quality (lots of chossy limestone in Missouri).

Partner calamity_chk

Oct 8, 2002, 1:46 PM
Post #13 of 14 (4143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LoL! !!

Terry, it was great meeting the famous climbers of WMCC as well. (sings and dances, "I got to shoot the sh*t with famous climbers this weekend" hee hee).

Regardless of your fame, you guys really know how to throw a party .. we had heaps of fun.

And, dont worry too much about the bop-it, it comes with time and practice. The next time we climb, I'll bring it and we can practice some more.

hee hee

Partner calamity_chk

Oct 8, 2002, 1:47 PM
Post #14 of 14 (4143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, and . uh .. for the people who missed out on all of the fun .. it really wasnt that big of a deal, really ..

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook