RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

kcrag

Oct 7, 2002, 5:40 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1220 views)
Shortcut

Advice on staying warm needed
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'll be learning to ice climb this season and I must say one of my biggest fears is being cold while I'm not climbing. Call me a wimp, but I get cold easily and don't like to suffer! I know the basics of layering, but I'm looking for any advice & recommendations of specific brands/materials that keep you warm. What works for you?

Thanks for any input.

bradhill

Oct 7, 2002, 8:26 PM
Post #2 of 6 (1220 views)
Shortcut

Advice on staying warm needed [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, women tend to feel cold sooner than men, but you might want to ask a moderator to move this to the alpine and ice area for a wider range of people to comment.

Do you know the "basics of layering" (which are wrong) or do you know the alpine way of layering?

Alpine layering:

Top:

Smartwool balaclava
Smartwool long-sleeve lightweight top.
Marmot DriClime microfiber windshirt.

Bottom:

Schoeller Dryskin, Gore WindStopper one layer or lightweight polypro or smartwool long underwear + non-skid waterproof/breathable shell pants.

In the pack:

Oversized puffy belay coat, synthetic. Primaloft is the best brand of insulation. With a hood!

Ultralight waterproof/breathable shell. Mtn Hardwear Grade 6 or Marmot PreCip are good.

Full zip-off synthetic belay pants if really cold.

You should feel cold standing still in your primary set of layers. The idea is that you won't sweat when you're doing the approach and climbing, and any sweat will evaporate through the windproof/breathable fabrics. If you start to feel hot when working out, immediately take off your hat or gloves.

Keeping your temp regulated, not overheating and not sweating too much is the big idea here.

When you stop moving, put on your belay coat over the top of everything. It's synthetic, so if you are a bit sweaty, it won't compromise the insulation as much. Put the hood up. I keep expedition overmitts in my belay coat pockets, too.

Only put on your storm shell when it's really bad. Nothing decently waterproof is breathable enough to exert hard in for long without building up sweat.

Other tricks? Vapor Barrier Liner (VBL) socks add about 20 degrees to the warmth of your boots. Cheap, disposable charcoal hand-warmers are nice. Cut up a blue foam sleeping pad into an 8"x24" square. Put some elastic through a hole in a corner reenforced with nylon patch tape (duct tape won't stick). This rolls up to the size of a nalgene bottle, and you can keep it on the outside of your pack to unroll and kneel or sit on (doubled for one or wide enough for two).

otter

Oct 7, 2002, 8:58 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll add one thing to that well put together responce. You might look into some puffy boots, down or synthetic heavy duty slippers of sorts that have water proof outsides. Get the ones with the taller attatched gators. These work great for the winter backcountry. In camp and going for short little walks around camp. I could see where they might be nice for times when you are on a long belay or waiting around near a climb and want to get your feet out of the climbing boots. They are very very cozy!

just_me

Oct 24, 2002, 11:36 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I often (in fact always) get cold feet. If I can’t keep my feet warm, the rest of my body never seems to warm up.

My problem is that my feet sweat. I took someone else’s recommendation, and started spraying anti-perspirant on my feet before putting in my socks. It helps.

In addition, I always bring extra dry socks. I can put the socks next to my body to warm them up for a few minutes, and then quickly remove my boots and change socks. Those little chemical heater packets also do wonders.

climberchic

Oct 25, 2002, 2:16 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just_me~

Do you layer your socks? I often wear a thin thermal sock under a pair of thick wool or polypro socks.

If you get really desperate for a way to warm your feet, believe it or not, there are "electric" socks. Battery-operated, I think but they exist. I have no idea if they work, but they seem to be pretty popular.

bradhill

Oct 25, 2002, 5:52 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

VBL (Vapor Barrier Liner) socks are the way to go for warm feet! No doubt about it.

Basically, this is a water and vapor impermeable membrane sock. You wear it between your polypro liner sock and wool insulative sock.

Once your feet reach a certain humidity, they stop sweating. Your liner sock gets wet, but it's no big deal. The vapor barrier keeps the sweat from penetrating your insulating sock, which keeps it dry and warm. It also eliminates evaporative heat loss.

This is the system climbers on high peaks and Antarctic trekkers use. It has virtually eliminated foot frostbite on Denali among those who use it. I've used them for all-day ice climbing in Alaska or high altitude winter mountaineering in Colorado in uninsulated, single leather boots and been warm and toasty.

You can pick up a pair of VBL socks at a good mountaineering shop for about $20 (they never wear out and you only need one pair) or make the poor-folks version out of an oversized ziplock bag (one or two uses).

Just be sure to take them off and dry off your feet every evening if you're out for awhile, or you can develop immersion ("trench") foot.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook