Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Beta for Monkey Face - West Face Variation
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

poomasta

Aug 28, 2007, 7:17 AM
Post #1 of 2 (765 views)
Shortcut

Beta for Monkey Face - West Face Variation  (North_America: United_States: Oregon: Smith_Rock: 10__Monkey_Face_Area)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm heading to Smith for the first time this week, and we plan on doing the West Face Variation up Monkey Face. Thing is, this is prob the only route i'll be doing that requires gear, and I'd rather not bring any more gear than i have to since we're flying across the country to get there and space is at a premium. Can someone provide advice on the minimum rack needed to safely lead this route?

Also, I haven't done any aid climbing before (tho we did practice jugging the tree in the back yard!). Per the bolt ladder, I was planning on bringing a set of aiders to lead with and some ascenders and appropriate length slings for my second to jug with. How long is the bolt ladder (number of bolts, total length of aid section) and does it start right off the Bohn Street ledge and go all the way to the east cave?

Thanks for any beta you can share.
Mike

herbaltee

Aug 28, 2007, 8:49 PM
Post #2 of 2 (738 views)
Shortcut

Re: [poomasta] Beta for Monkey Face - West Face Variation [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

You probably won't need more than a standard rack of nuts and a set of cams.
For the aid ladder, bringing a set of aiders is really helpful. The bolt ladder is 15-20m. It starts pretty much at Bohn Street. Having the second jug up is a pain since there is so much tension on the rope. The bolt line curves into the monkey's mouth. Sort of like a J that has been turned 180 degrees. Having him second while aidding up is my preferred method.

Its a great climb, have fun and do the 5.7 traverse out of the monkey's mouth. Its a lot of fun and super airy.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$44.96 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook