Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
New to East Coast - Weekend Climbing Suggestions?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

rm

Aug 28, 2007, 10:25 AM
Post #1 of 5 (3518 views)
Shortcut

New to East Coast - Weekend Climbing Suggestions?  (North_America: United_States: Pennsylvania)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello Everyone,

I am just trying to get some information. I moved to NJ from CA in January and have not had a chance to do any outside climbing since. Fortunately, I finally have a free weekend and wanted to get outside on Sunday and Monday (Sep 2nd & 3rd).

I will be in Lancaster, PA on Saturday, and was looking to make a trip out to somewhere on my way back to NJ. Basically, are there any suggestions for locations, not to far out of the way, that are between Lancaster, PA and Philadelphia, PA (I live about 10 min east in NJ). I would be most comfortable with a good sport climbing destination, routes ranging from 5.7 to low 5.10s. If you can set up a top rope from above, that would be a plus.

If anybody does not mind me joining them or showing me around, that would be great as well. I will at least have one, but maybe up to three, other people with me. Myself, I have one rope, plenty of slings and runners, a full set of cams, quick draws, extra harnesses and shoes, ect. Basically, I usually have enough gear to set up multiple top ropes but am limited by the number of ropes I have. Well, hopefully someone can help me out. Take care,

Ronnie Munoz

mojomonkey

Aug 28, 2007, 11:34 AM
Post #2 of 5 (3495 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rm] New to East Coast - Weekend Climbing Suggestions? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Playing with Google maps makes it look like swinging up to hit Birdsboro only adds 10-20 miles to your trip, so you may look into that. There isn't easy access to the top (and there is poison ivy), so you'd need to lead. There is pretty good range of climbs, so you should find something suitable. The rock quality isn't the greatest (at least older climbs are pretty clean by now), but don't be surprised to see holds reinforced with some epoxy... Helmets are a good idea.

I may go out there this weekend to ease my brother into outdoor climbing, but am not sure yet.

Chickies Rock is a little more out of the way, you'd go East from Lancaster first. If you want to toprope though, access is easy there.

dylan1

Aug 28, 2007, 12:38 PM
Post #3 of 5 (3452 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i live in Philly and normally head to Birdsboro a few times a year, It is all 1 pitch sport, I have never seen anyone try to get on the top to set up a top-rope. If you come off route 82 and park at the last lot on then right, you will have to do 2 creekcrossings about foot to a foot and a half deep (I always wear my trusty Keens).
I plan on being at the gunks over the weekend. If you are lookng for people in the phila. n.j. area to climb with check and join the govertical yahoogroup, it has about 240 members and people are always looking for climbing partners
I can send you an invite if you would like...

extreme_actuary

Aug 28, 2007, 1:12 PM
Post #4 of 5 (3430 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out High Rocks at Ralph Stover State Park. It sounds to be exactly what you are looking for. Nice climbs and you can top rope most of them. You can also check out the Delaware Water Gap. There is a book, Rock Climbing New Jersey that covers it all (even though they are in Pennsylvania). Seeing as you now live in NJ, it might not be a bad investment.

ericbeyeler

Aug 29, 2007, 4:43 AM
Post #5 of 5 (3380 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're going to be in Lancaster then I would definately recommend Chickies. Nice clean rock, easy toprope setup.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook