RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

airscape

Oct 7, 2002, 9:40 PM
Post #1 of 19 (4185 views)
Shortcut

Strengthening tendons.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Seeing all the tendon injury and pain posts, I thought I would share some information that I have heard about.

Doing push-ups or dips will increase the strenght of the tendons in your elbows and wrists. Since climbing puts alot of pulling strain on your tendons, you need to do pushing exersises to sort of keep a balance.

This is only something I have heard.

I was wondering if anyone here knows anything about this sort of stuff?? I could not find alot of info on this.

This is something I just brought up, because most climbers I know don't do any push exercises, only pull-ups, campusing and climbing.

I would prob suggest 2 or 3 sets of push-ups or dips a week.

[ This Message was edited by: airscape on 2002-10-07 14:52 ]

overlord

Oct 7, 2002, 11:05 PM
Post #2 of 19 (4185 views)
Shortcut

Strengthening tendons. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

what are dips???

and yes, you have to develop those opposing muscles too or you risk joint injury... not good. the owner of the ftiness club i used to go to told me about a sprinte who strained his knee because he didnt have strong enough opposing muscles.

CLIMB ON

campus

Oct 10, 2002, 1:06 AM
Post #3 of 19 (4185 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey thanks for the tip, i never thinking do that before.The mostly of my training is bouldering an campus (that´s way i´m campus) i´ll give it a try.

thanks again

bluesky

Oct 10, 2002, 4:16 AM
Post #4 of 19 (4185 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you have access to old climbing issue # ??? March 15, 2000 has a bunch of info on injury prevention. Push ups are a good idea as well as rotator cuff exercises and stretches (such as internal and external rotations, reverse wrist curls, reverse curls, trapezious strengthening, and stretching, finger extensions, shoulder finger chest and back stretches).

maiorlive

Oct 10, 2002, 4:32 AM
Post #5 of 19 (4185 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've found that pretty minimal push ups relieved quite of lot of tension in my back. I do 30 push ups at the end of a gym session: 10 with hands together at my solar plexus, 10 with hands at chest and shoulder width apart, and 10 with hands at shoulder height or a little higher and hands spread past shoulder. The three different places gives my entire chest a chance to do something. I do them slow so that I can pay attention to my balance and focus on not cheating.

I also do some leg lifts for upper abs: I start with an L-sit hanging from pull up rings and lift my legs as high as possible and then back to an L. I repeat that as many times as I can manage and then I sort of do the same thing sitting on the ground. (That one's a little hard to explain though without demonstrating it.) Leg lifts with my back on the ground were recommended to me for lower abs. (i.e. someone throws your legs at the floor for you.)

I don't know about tendon injuries, but my muscles are more relaxed than before. And my body seems to appreciate the work because the muscle development is out of proportion to the amount of work done. Seems like it was just looking for an excuse to put on come counter-balancing weight.

W

jason1

Oct 10, 2002, 5:15 AM
Post #6 of 19 (4185 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lots of water...

tanner

Oct 10, 2002, 5:30 AM
Post #7 of 19 (4185 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

About not doing pushing ecsersizes. I got really un balenced by not doing push exersizes. I've been doing more push stuff and climbing for the pull and I'm more balanced.

jono

Oct 10, 2002, 5:44 AM
Post #8 of 19 (4185 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i do a lot of pushups, weight lifting, and finger pullups. so far so good and ive never had any injuries(knock on wood)
jon

tigerbythetail

Oct 10, 2002, 6:56 AM
Post #9 of 19 (4185 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Want to avoid injury? Stay well rested, hydrated and supple. Make sure to warm-up, ease into the day and know when to quit, and make sure to have fun!

ajkclay

Oct 10, 2002, 6:58 AM
Post #10 of 19 (4185 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, you need to do push and pull exercises, to work all muscles as both the agonist (Muscle doing the work) and antagonist (muscle controlling and providing resistance to the work). A good rule of thumb when working out is to do one pushing exercise and then one pulling exercise, ie. bench press, and then bent over rows, bicep curl, tricep press.

The other benefit of equalising your muscle strength is that you will avoid injuries due to strength imbalances, and weaknesses. (Less muscle tears etc).

A dip is where you put your hands on a bench that is situated behind you, (or bars parallel to either side of you) and then lower yourself down, pushing yourself back up using your triceps and pectorals predominantly to raise up again. With the bench method, your feet are out in front of you (straight) with only your heels resting on the ground. They are a good exercise for assisting with pushing from behind you onto a high stepup to rockover.

likethegoddess

Oct 12, 2002, 6:11 PM
Post #11 of 19 (4185 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just came back from the doctor and found out the pain in my thumb is tendonitis. Which is basically pain and inflamation of a tendon. This, according to him, is caused by too much strain to the muscle of that tendon. So, basically, want to save yourself from tendonitis? Go easier on the muscle.

estebandb

Oct 12, 2002, 6:44 PM
Post #12 of 19 (4185 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BANANAS and lots of water!!!!!

peace

airscape

Nov 1, 2002, 11:18 PM
Post #13 of 19 (4185 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

very insitefull

arron

Nov 1, 2002, 11:32 PM
Post #14 of 19 (4185 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey no pain no gain

histai

Nov 2, 2002, 12:32 AM
Post #15 of 19 (4185 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That "No pain, no gain" motto worked for me until I was about 17 and now I owe it two lingering injuries. Pain is your body telling you something. Most of the time it's just whining but sometimes it means, "Stop that right now or you're going to be nursing this elbow for the next three years." Knowing how to tell which is which is one of the most important things you can learn about training.

high_times

Nov 3, 2002, 1:55 AM
Post #16 of 19 (4185 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The perfect remedy for preventing injury...listen to your body.

kiwidave

Nov 8, 2002, 2:23 AM
Post #17 of 19 (4185 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

drink heaps of water during the day before you climb, it keeps your tendons supple and drink throughout the day lets the water get in there better. Also for strenthning fingers do hang sessions by just hanging on smaller and smaller holds. this helps your fingers and stuff get used to the load that you place on your fingers making them stronger. also knowing when the days done helps to.

climbingjunky

Dec 4, 2002, 3:35 AM
Post #18 of 19 (4185 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climb every other day! Let your muscles, tendons, and ligaments recover. They are only getting stronger if you let them rest. Definetly know when to quit. Several times i've pushed it past the limit, climbed on consecutive days and regretted it. Dont stretch until your fully warmed up. Stat with easy climbs and work your way up. I also lifts weights and that seems to be helping too with stregth and preventing injurines.

rockjunkie

Dec 5, 2002, 2:30 AM
Post #19 of 19 (4185 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i agree with everyone here but i stress working your reciprocal muscles (the push muscles) the balance is important in your muscular system.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook