Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Other gyms besides Texas Rock Gym in Houston Area
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

rasperas

Aug 30, 2007, 8:42 AM
Post #1 of 3 (947 views)
Shortcut

Other gyms besides Texas Rock Gym in Houston Area  (North_America: United_States: Texas: South_Central_Texas: Texas_Rock_Gym)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I just moved to Houston and decided to check out TRG and see if it was worth becoming a member. I was mistaken.

-The staff were not polite - it is their policy to rudely threaten customers with push-ups --after I let the gri-gri lightly brush up against the wall- much in the way a grade school teacher enforces discipline by sending students to "the corner."

-The route setting was dreadfully awful. The routes were not fun, they were just work.

-On every route I did, there was at least one spinner. Apparently they don't fix spinners, on some of the them they would just tape the spinning hold as to aware climbers that it spins instead of just removing or fixing the damn thing.

-They do not enforce safety. I saw many belayers letting go of the brake hand.

Regardless, any suggestions on a better gym in the Houston area?

-Rod

inspiredclimber

Sep 26, 2007, 11:53 AM
Post #2 of 3 (916 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rasperas] Other gyms besides Texas Rock Gym in Houston Area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey rasperas, We are in the process of building a new rock gym in north Houston/Spring off I-45 and E. Louetta Rd. by Splash Town Water park. My goal is to address all the complaints you had about TRG. If you don't mind, I'd like to stay in touch and earn your business. The name of the gym is Inspire Rock and will be the largest indoor gym in Texas with nearly 16,000 sq. ft. Feel free to email me at paul@teamsynergyinc.com Thank you for your time.

retardo_montelbahn

Oct 2, 2007, 7:54 PM
Post #3 of 3 (893 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rasperas] Other gyms besides Texas Rock Gym in Houston Area [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just got back from a little gym called Stone Moves. It seems to be a family oriented place as they open at 3:00 pm. The staff was very friendly, and so were the climbers. It's at 6970 FM 1960. The crossroad is Cutten close to Willowbrook Mall.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook