RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

malacama

Sep 4, 2007, 1:04 AM
Post #1 of 17 (3182 views)
Shortcut

Recommend a comfortable harness for climbing photography
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,

I'm looking for a good comfortable harness to be used for taking photos of climbers while habging on the wall. I usually hang 2-3 hours when I'm taking pictures and my current harness is giving me such pain.
Can anybody recommend a good harness?

thanks!

Myxomatosis

Sep 4, 2007, 5:27 AM
Post #2 of 17 (3149 views)
Shortcut

Re: [malacama] Recommend a comfortable harness for climbing photography [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmmm I'm not to sure about harness... but Id say one of the higher end big wall ones would be good :)

Anyway... its kind of the same topic... but has anyone used one of these?

http://www.lowepro.com/...d_Harnesses/harness/

(This post was edited by Myxomatosis on Sep 4, 2007, 10:01 PM)

martinheynert

Sep 4, 2007, 7:42 AM
Post #3 of 17 (3136 views)
Shortcut

Re: [malacama] Recommend a comfortable harness for climbing photography [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you male or female? That makes a difference.

For me as a men, the new Mammut Baffin is very comfortable for long hanging or long time belaying. They have sewn together the leg loop ring in an 90° angle. So, if the upward force comes, the inner part of the leg loop is not drawn in the direction of my balls but straight upward. With conventional, especially non-adjustable belts (BD Chaos), this has always been a problem. The drag force resulted in a narrow and often painful feeling in the region of my balls. Somewhat better was the use of adjustable belts like BD Focus AL, but the very best is this new connection technique of the Mammut engineers. Also the foam padding comes very comfortable. It is just the right belt for long hangings.

reverse_dyno

Sep 4, 2007, 10:43 AM
Post #4 of 17 (3126 views)
Shortcut

Re: [martinheynert] Recommend a comfortable harness for climbing photography [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

martinheynert,

How do you like the click buckle on the baffin harness? I like the standard buckles that you have to double back, because they feel very secure. I am looking for a new harness myself, but am unsure whether I want to get a harness with such a quick connect buckle.

Does it stay put and not loosen over a day of climbing?
Thanks,
Mark

piton

Sep 4, 2007, 1:43 PM
Post #5 of 17 (3109 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reverse_dyno] Recommend a comfortable harness for climbing photography [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

swami made w/ 1" webbing

martinheynert

Sep 4, 2007, 7:47 PM
Post #6 of 17 (3089 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reverse_dyno] Recommend a comfortable harness for climbing photography [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"reverse_dyno wrote:
Does it stay put and not loosen over a day of climbing?
Yes they do. They are o.k. After some hours, I re-check the buckles and maybe thighten them a bit. Double back is fine, but this works, too. And you can completely open the leg rings, good for entering the harness with boots and crampons on.

Gmburns2000

Sep 4, 2007, 8:10 PM
Post #7 of 17 (3082 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try Misty Mountain's Titan. It's damn comfy.

shimanilami

Sep 4, 2007, 8:12 PM
Post #8 of 17 (3079 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You may want to add a chest harness. It'll give your abs a break and spread the weight out a bit.

rsmillbern

Sep 4, 2007, 8:18 PM
Post #9 of 17 (3076 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Recommend a comfortable harness for climbing photography [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll second the MM Titan, I have a Cadillac, my buddy has a Titan, both are comfortable (Titan has more padding).

Gmburns2000

Sep 4, 2007, 8:30 PM
Post #10 of 17 (3069 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rsmillbern] Recommend a comfortable harness for climbing photography [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rsmillbern wrote:
I'll second the MM Titan, I have a Cadillac, my buddy has a Titan, both are comfortable (Titan has more padding).

It's funny because I originally bought the Cadillac a few years ago and loved it. But, with the passing of Mr. Skinner, I noticed that my belay loop was getting kind of mangy. I knew I wanted the biggest harness out there and sent out a pro deal for the Cadillac the very next day. After sending out the pro-deal form, I checked the Misty website out of curiosity and saw the Titan. I think I swore more in the next 30 minutes than I had in the entire month combined. I still have the Cadillac, but I tried a friend's Titan and I am envious.

nefarius

Sep 4, 2007, 9:28 PM
Post #11 of 17 (3051 views)
Shortcut

Re: [piton] Recommend a comfortable harness for climbing photography [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

piton wrote:
swami made w/ 1" webbing

Nice! 2" works well too! Especially for OW stuff! Wink

As far as the question...

By far, the most comfortable harnesses, and best-made I might add, are the Yates harnesses. Sure, they're a little more expensive, but go with the guy who has years of experience in making nothing but big wall and rescue gear. John knows his shit! These harnesses are designed for hanging and hauling and jumarring and penjis and any other abuse you can throw at them!

I know plenty of other Big Wall climbers who have had their Yates harnesses for years. Some of them with up to close to a year's time spent on the wall. My original Yates is going on 5 years, has seen about 10 walls and countless hours/days of being on walls shooting photos & rigging.

The Shield should do you right, at a reduced cost, compared to their Big Wall harness. Simply put, go with the best.

(This post was edited by nefarius on Sep 4, 2007, 10:28 PM)

davidji

Sep 4, 2007, 10:08 PM
Post #12 of 17 (3035 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would think regular harness and a belay seat, or maybe an industrial harness--not that I know much about 'em.

http://www.marmotmountain.com/...il&StyleID=11461
http://www.rocknrescue.com/...ll-Body-Harness.html

hotgemini

Sep 4, 2007, 10:31 PM
Post #13 of 17 (3028 views)
Shortcut

Re: [davidji] Recommend a comfortable harness for climbing photography [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Petzl Navaho industrial harness, they recently revamped the line slightly replacing the two seperate CE NFPA models with a single range. Should be available in pretty much any major city.

AZrockclimber1988

Sep 4, 2007, 11:40 PM
Post #14 of 17 (3014 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would say a Misty Mountian Titan harness and chest harness, or a Metoluis Waldo harness and chest harness.

deepplaymedia

Sep 5, 2007, 9:04 AM
Post #15 of 17 (2982 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AZrockclimber1988] Recommend a comfortable harness for climbing photography [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

^ i have a petzl navaho full body for work & reckon its pretty much the shittest harness ive ever worn.... if you
go a full body industrial rig then the yates one rocks

for something a bit more practical though, i like the yates shield with a webbing chest harness (with some jerry-rigged padding on the shoulders/neck) and a bosuns (the petzl podium is good for moving around in, but something a bit beefier is nice when you're hanging in one spot for ages)

(This post was edited by deepplaymedia on Sep 13, 2007, 1:42 PM)

piton

Sep 5, 2007, 5:15 PM
Post #16 of 17 (2965 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nefarius] Recommend a comfortable harness for climbing photography [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah 2" swami is a little more comfy.

Like nef Yates. or that new metolius safe tech harness looks comfy to.

davidji

Sep 5, 2007, 7:41 PM
Post #17 of 17 (2949 views)
Shortcut

Re: [piton] Recommend a comfortable harness for climbing photography [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

piton wrote:
or that new metolius safe tech harness looks comfy to.
The Safe Tech is very comfy. At least in the flavor I have. Fit is very adjustable. There's one with less padding than mine, and one with more also.

No matter how comfy a climbing waist harness, I don't think it alone is the right solution for a situation where you hang out for hours, and you don't climb.

A belay seat or bosun's chair along with some kind of comfortable harness make the most sense to me.

(This post was edited by davidji on Sep 5, 2007, 7:43 PM)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook