RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bugs & Error Reports

Premier Sponsor:

Partner bear829

Sep 6, 2007, 8:00 PM
Post #1 of 7 (3325 views)
Shortcut

Questions about message thingy
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Quote | Reply

Everytime I try to go into my messages, the site links me to sign in, even if I am already signed in. If I sign in and try to get back into the messages, it sends me right back to the page to sign in again. It doesn't work even if I try to refresh the page to begin with. Sometimes it will work, but other times it just likes to play mind games with me, and I get enough of that from the TV, so is there something that I could be doing differently? And I've asked the computer nicely to display the page, but that doesn't work, and neither does yelling and swearing, so I think I might need a new approach. Please help, thanks.

Thank you.

ddt

Sep 7, 2007, 8:37 PM
Post #2 of 7 (3306 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bear829] Questions about message thingy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Quote | Reply

I checked your account and everything seems normal. Since we have no known issues with login, this may be a problem with your setup, specifically cookies on your computer. Make sure they're enabled for rockclimbing.com... delails here: http://www.rockclimbing.com/...imbing.com__411.html

Let me know if this continues to be a problem.

DDT

Partner bear829

Sep 11, 2007, 2:26 PM
Post #3 of 7 (3265 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ddt] Questions about message thingy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Quote | Reply

Alright, that fixed the problem for a couple of days, but now its doing it again. The only thing that I can think of is that my computer is about 8 years old. Consider this, I'm still running Window ME and Windows Media Player version 7.0.0.2 or something close to that number. I had called into get support with my roommates' Mp3 player and the tech support guy asked what operating system I had had and his exact words were "Oh my lord". I know I need a new computer, and the stupid thing remembers the last page I went to on that site and automatically brings it up so I'm constatly having to refresh my pages. I'm pretty sure that's what my problem is, but who knows. Thanks though for the suggestion. It did work for a couple of days. I really need to get a new computer. Oy.

Thanks again ddt.

truello

Sep 11, 2007, 4:22 PM
Post #4 of 7 (3260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Quote | Reply

Do you have any sort of security program that is monitoring your computer, potentially disabling cookies after you enable them? Or are you manually clearing them in anyway?

Your OS isn't ancient by any means, and WMP / MP3 stuff isn't going to affect this. The issue is somewhere with your browser and cookies.

DDT can probably help a lot more if he knows what browser you're using (and probably does with some cool admin/statistics feature).

sbaclimber

Sep 12, 2007, 1:43 AM
Post #5 of 7 (3249 views)
Shortcut

Re: [truello] Questions about message thingy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Quote | Reply

truello wrote:
Your OS isn't ancient by any means, and WMP / MP3 stuff isn't going to affect this. The issue is somewhere with your browser and cookies.
*Snort* (damn, coffee up the nose). From: http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6519
In reply to:
Effective July 11, 2006, Windows 98, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows Me (and their related components) will transition to a non-supported status. After this date, Microsoft will no longer provide any incident support options or security updates. Microsoft is not offering a custom support agreement for these products.
I am sorry, but when the manufacturer hasn't supported your software (e.g. no more patches or security updates) for more than a year, it is officially "ancient"Tongue

The rest of what truello said is correct though. I am currently building a web application that uses cookies to keep track of who is logged in, and during testing it often does exactly what you (bear829) are describing. But, only in Firefox (I am using 2.0.0.6).
Clearing the cookies doesn't help, only clearing the cache does.
I haven't had a chance to debug further, but hopefully I will figure it out eventually. I will post up here, if I do.

(This post was edited by sbaclimber on Sep 12, 2007, 1:44 AM)

sbaclimber

Sep 12, 2007, 3:23 AM
Post #6 of 7 (3240 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Quote | Reply

bear829 wrote:
the stupid thing remembers the last page I went to on that site and automatically brings it up so I'm constatly having to refresh my pages.
This sounds like a caching issue, and probably does have more to do with your computer/browser than anything else, as no one else seems to have this problem.

Unless you are on a dial-up connection, I would just recommend disabling caching (or at least make your browser check to see if the page has changed).

If you tell us what browser you are using, we can tell you how to change your caching configuration.

Partner bear829

Sep 12, 2007, 3:14 PM
Post #7 of 7 (3231 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sbaclimber] Questions about message thingy [In reply to]
Report this Post
Quote | Reply

I disabled the cookies that I needed to and the other problems, and all I have to do is keep refreshing the pages is all. Not a big deal. Frankly, it could be worse. I'm getting into my messages fine now. I'm eventually getting a new computer since this one isn't upgradable, well practical either.

Thanks for the help guys.

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Bugs & Error Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook