Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Beta on "West Window" on Monkeyface?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

Tree_wrangler

Sep 7, 2007, 11:10 PM
Post #1 of 1 (325 views)
Shortcut

Beta on "West Window" on Monkeyface?  (North_America: United_States: Oregon: Smith_Rock: 10__Monkey_Face_Area)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi all,

I'm looking at soloing West Window this fall, and I'm wondering if anyone can help me out with a couple questions.

1.) The route description I've got for the first pitch says in one sentence "aid past 5 bolts and then aid on smaller pro" and then says in another sentence, "can be aided on small wires".

No mention is made of the range of sizes........Anyone know exactly what they're talking about? I've got a set of micronuts, 1.5 sets of Wild Country nuts, with the overlap being in the smaller sizes, and a set of smileys. I've also got a set of the forged friends, which have a couple small sizes. I'm wondering if I need more micros........OR....I also have all of Ed's camming hooks....will the crack accept camming hooks?

2.) I know that there are bolts missing on the upper pitches. A stick-clip is recommended to skip over the missing bolts, but I don't have one. I do have hooks though. Has anyone successfully hooked the bolt or rivet holes instead of using the stick-clip? Did they bite the rock OK, or were they in real danger of tearing out?

3.) What's the angle of the pitches? Is retreat mid-route a possibility?

Thanks in advance!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook