Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

climbsomething

Sep 23, 2002, 2:12 AM
Post #26 of 35 (6199 views)
Shortcut

Dr. Piton says THANKS to everyone for all your help in Yoses [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

It is, it is

I *need* to ask him something though, so does anybody know his location?

EDIT: hehe... I just thought it funny... Hillary posting to the aid forum. Sheesh

[ This Message was edited by: climbsomething on 2002-09-22 19:13 ]

climbsomething

Sep 23, 2002, 3:00 AM
Post #27 of 35 (6199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

guess he's not

krustyklimber

Sep 23, 2002, 5:47 AM
Post #28 of 35 (6199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Computer access in the Valley is tough especially on Sunday.

And we know how the good Dr. is in no big rush to finish a wall or come down from the top...

Maybe in the mornin'

Jeff

climbsomething

Sep 25, 2002, 4:41 AM
Post #29 of 35 (6199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A-HA! The Airship Pete has landed!

Pete called me from the summit of El Cap tonight, after a safe and glorious ride up with Tom (apollodorus) via Scorched Earth. He'll be on the Valley floor tomorrow, and soon, it'll be another Yosemite chapter closed.

FYI

karlbaba

Sep 26, 2002, 3:45 AM
Post #30 of 35 (6199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't believe it! I drove by El Cap today about 5pm and thought I saw Pete. I wasn't driving or I would have stopped. I just thought He couldn't possibly still be here!

Congrats dudes! He looked a little less clean cut and chipper than when he left!

Peace

Karl

passthepitonspete

Oct 7, 2002, 12:12 AM
Post #31 of 35 (6199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What the.....?

Are you trying to say I looked ugly, Karl, after a week on the wall?!

Sheesh.

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to say a huge thanks to all who helped me out yet again this last trip of mine to Yosemite - sherpas up, sherpas down, dinners, beers, driving, favours, accomodation - wow.

Your response and hospitality has been overwhelming!

So like THANKS, eh?

First of all, a belated thanks to Thad Friday for giving me my week's supply of Olde E. and Guinness for my solo of Shortest Straw this spring. I somehow forgot to mention this in my previous post, and his gift was most appreciated. [burp!]

Brian Folkendt gave me almost a full day of his time, picking me up at the Fresno airport, taking me shopping to the grocery store and Trader Joe's [thus saving me the great expense of buying my wall food in the Valley!] and if this weren't enough, taking me out to supper with his hottie wife Yancey [What! Me flirt?!] and family at a superb Mexican restaurant. When it comes to schmoozing, even I - Dr. Piton - can learn a few Big Wall Tips from Brian. He is the master of schmooze, and a delight to watch.

Cheers for beers, computer time, and a ride from Fresno to Yosemite, mate!

Big thanks to "Hollywood" Hans Florine for letting me store much of my aid gear at his place over the summer, and again over the winter. My pigs are as big as my posts, so you can imagine the overweight baggage cost savings I enjoy not having to drag three hundred pounds of stuff through the airport. Thanks to Hans, I'm just under the limit.

And congrats, too, for setting a New Speed Record on the Nose!

If you're looking to rent a room while you're in Yosemite, then be sure to contact Hans. His "digs" are The Shit!

I met Joe Buzz in the Camp 5 lot, and he schlepped an enormous load for me up to the base of Lunar Eclipse which is just right of Zodiac.

Joe was also available to assist in the recovery of the flying pig, bringing two of his friends and making a special trip up to the base of El Cap at midnight to make the pickup. Joe later spent about an hour duct taping the old sow back together as I was madly packing to make my airplane.

Joe receives the Wee-Wee the Big Wall Crab Award of Merit for outstanding service!

When Joe stepped out, Richard Heinrich stepped in. Arguably RC.com's finest photographer, for an old fart Richard can sure pack a pig! He took a few medium format photos of my Far End Hauler about to blast off into space.

Richard also helped me by giving me a hand fixing the first couple of pitches. After I sent him out on lead across a four- or five-move hook traverse, he realized he had had enough for now and turned the sharp end back over to me when it looked a bit tough. First thing I did was start nailing - they don't call me "Pass the Pitons" Pete for nothin', eh?

[Don't worry, Richard - we'll cure you of this clean climbing fixation of yours.....you have come to the right place]

About the time I was blasting off, Ammon McNeely came by to assist his brother Gabe in his bail from Zodiac. Ammon's diabolical pirate laughter - ARR! and shouts of "Death to Wee-Wee!" echoed off the wall when my flagged Crab-O-Ledge hung up under a roof. [I rescued it easily with the Far End Hauler.

I spent the next eight days soloing Lunar Eclipse, a not-often-climbed A4 that busts through the Devil's Brow and finishes on Zodiac. I enjoyed good stiff climbing which although sustained was never petrifying.

The highlight of the journey was the day it stormed! It is difficult to describe the beauty of clouds that scudded through my balcony as I enjoyed my morning coffee. You'll have to wait a bit to see the photos, which are certain to be spectacular, but in the meantime you can click here to see a photo of me stormbound in my ledge high on El Cap. What a pleasant day hanging out, drinking coffee, reading, and especially writing! Man, did my cell phone get a workout that day.

That same storm sent 'Hottieclimber,' Tom and her shocking pink pig scampering from Eagle's Way, which is almost directly beneath Horsetail Falls, to the dryer Zodiac.

The day after the storm Holly shouted up, "I'm cold!" I left them a little CARE package on Peanut Ledge which they later devoured hungrily.

I topped out the same day as Kevin Jaramillo and his team finished P.O. Wall. Since they wouldn't bring the party down to me, I hiked up to them along with my ghetto blaster and my remaining beers. They told me they had made tremendous use of the 2:1 Hauling Ratchet which I have written about here at RC.com. If you're not familiar with my post describing it, have a look - at five thousand hits it is far and away the most popular post in the Aid Climbing Forum!

Poor buggers, the four of them had six loads to shuttle, so as they shuttled pigs past my campsite, I kept them well supplied with freshly made coffee. But at least Kevin made good on his Big Announcement.

Also passing through my camp that morning were Dean Potter and Scott Stowe, who barely stopped long enough to say hi let alone drink some coffee. Dean had just completed back to back free ascents of Half Dome and El Cap [regular NW Face and Freerider variation to Salathe Wall], the first time both formations had been free climbed in under twenty-four hours. Congrats to Dean!

The next day, Joe was back to help me with the final part of my carry beneath the East Ledges.

Back on the ground I hooked up with Rick Radliff who gave me a ride up to Karl Bralich's place in Wawona. Unfortunately, I didn't have Karl's address, and when I tried to phone him for directions, his line was busy - no doubt he was on RC.com!

Stuck in the phone booth unable to reach Karl, I telephoned Hillary in Tucson, and asked her to PM Karl that we had arrived! [crafty, eh?] Karl arrived minutes later, and since I was on the phone, Rick left me his pick-me-up truck to drive to Karl's when I was finished.

Big mistake.

Somehow I missed the bit about not driving down Karl's driveway [you know, it did seem a bit steep...] so when I skidded to a halt in a cloud of dust and gravel inches from Karl's house, a rather perturbed Rick declared that we would never be able to drive his truck back up!

Uh-oh.....

Fortunately, I had kept my CAA membership in force, and after no small amount of grovelling and begging, I managed to convince a tow truck operator to drive out and rescue Rick's truck.

While waiting for the help to arrive, Rick and I pigged out on a sumptuous repast of steelhead and rice prepared by Karl. Man, can Karl ever cook! What a great birthday dinner! Thanks, Karl!

By and by the tow truck arrived, so stay tuned for the photos where Dr. Piton demonstrates a different hauling technique!

Back at Camp 5, we hooked up with Hottieclimber for a mini big wall tutorial using the Trango Russian Aiders. Let me just tell you that Holly positively mastered that apple tree, topstepping for all she was worth!

Also present was Tom Randall, who is sure to be thrilled to learn that his profile photo has received unanimous endorsement by The Federation of Dr. Piton Hotties, a ranking that stands second to none. [Hint: consider flying home to England via Tucson]

Wes Petty made good on his promise, and delivered a six-pack of Sierra Nevada porter. I just love it when people get the [hint]!

A day or two later, Tom Kasper arrived for our ascent of Scorched Earth, and made his usual big splash when showing off his twelve-inch Valley Giant cams.

A week afterwards on the summit, I hooked up with Patrick Bird at the top of Zodiac. Patrick had made good on his "BIG ANNOUNCEMENT" too! I offered my congrats to him and his team while enjoying a cup of tea. [Spoken with upperclass Englishman accent: "They're British, you know...."]

And of course I have to say a big thanks to my Scorched Earth partner Tom, not only for driving me back to the airport in Fresno, but for giving me a shoulder to cry on after I dropped his pig off the wall!

Sheesh.

And finally, and most sincerely, I want to give my biggest thank you to the passionate and beautiful Tucson Hotties, the shagadelic Hillary and the babe-O-licious Andria for not only putting me up, but for putting up with me as well!

{kiss, kiss}

It is a great delight to report that the highlight of my trip to Yosemite was Tucson!

Thank you again, one and all.

See you in May, unless like I see you sooner, eh?

[HINT]

Cheers,

"Pass the Pitons" Pete

aka Dr. Piton

climbsomething

Oct 7, 2002, 6:10 AM
Post #32 of 35 (6199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, Pete, it would appear that you are in fact loved.

Do you have 5 supporters for every detractor? Or perhaps 5 detractors for every supporter? Well, whatever the ratio, there are more than just a few people who value and respect you. I am sure they will continue their graciousness by accepting your thanks.

passthepitonspete

Oct 7, 2002, 3:06 PM
Post #33 of 35 (6199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hon, I have no idea what my ratio of supporters to detractors is, and neither do I care.

As long as my friends are waiting in Yosemite [and] with empty haulbags, strong backs, and beer on ice, I know that I - Dr. Piton - am Truly Blessed.

And this is a Very Good Thing.

"Greater love hath none than this - that he pick up a pig for his friend."

tf

Oct 8, 2002, 7:46 PM
Post #34 of 35 (6199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Glad you enjoyed it pete

passthepitonspete

Oct 9, 2002, 4:47 AM
Post #35 of 35 (6199 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, Thad.

In case you don't know, those two tiny initials above belong to Thad Friday, who followed me up Native Son, also soloing.

Why don't you post some photos, mate?!

And cheers for the beers!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook