Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Sigh, back on the soapbox
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next page Last page  View All

tripperjm

Sep 21, 2007, 4:08 AM
Post #251 of 317 (9065 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Sigh, back on the soapbox [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

angry wrote:
I climbed the Naked Edge today, but I wasn't naked. What a shame.

What's the point of the weekly body waxings if you're not going to show it off. I can't believe you didn't climb the Naked Edge... NAKED.

tripperjm

Sep 21, 2007, 4:18 AM
Post #252 of 317 (9063 views)
Shortcut

Re: [k.l.k] Sigh, back on the soapbox [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

k.l.k wrote:
Preble? Is that you? This thread has officially gone to hell. Glad to see you're still spry enough to be out corrupting the SoCal youth!

Yea it me. It's been about 25 years, good to see you're still up and about. ... and yea, I'm doing my part "corrupting the SoCal youth!".

jack

jaybro

Sep 21, 2007, 6:52 AM
Post #253 of 317 (9007 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

" no tickmarks on it whatsoever."

How do you know you did the 'right' route, at all?

k.l.k

Sep 21, 2007, 2:27 PM
Post #254 of 317 (8972 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tripperjm] Sigh, back on the soapbox [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

awesome-- hi to cathy for me. and pm if you get up this way and decide to climb norcal choss for a change.

and angry-- sounds like hell to me. hell is an easy 12c

NSFW

Sep 21, 2007, 4:07 PM
Post #255 of 317 (8918 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tripperjm] Sigh, back on the soapbox [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I, for one, am quite happy with the direction this thread has turned. Sad thing is, it isn't any less informative than before. Good work guys.

Valarc

Sep 21, 2007, 4:40 PM
Post #256 of 317 (8896 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Sigh, back on the soapbox [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
With the reasonable assumption that high-end sport routes will only be climbed by high-end sport climbers, then leaving the tick marks in place is doing the next climber a favor.

If all high-end sport climbers enjoy tickmarks and aren't interested in the mental challenge of figuring out a sequence for themselves, I hope like hell I stay a gumby my whole life.

The mental challenge is the single most motivating aspect of climbing to me. I was never a person who loved being active for the sake of movement - I would never be a runner because running is boring, and I only hike because I thoroughly enjoy being outdoors, especially with my dogs. I don't climb to show how strong I am or to say "I redpointed a 5.X, where my X is bigger than yours". I climb to challenge myself, and yes there's a lot of physical challenge for my fat ass, but the mental challenge is so very much more rewarding. Take away the puzzle-solving and it might as well be running in my eyes.

So I say again, if high-end sport climbing is really what you portray it as on this site, I'll be very disappointed in myself if I ever become a high-end sport climber.

Partner angry

Sep 21, 2007, 4:51 PM
Post #257 of 317 (8881 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Valarc] Sigh, back on the soapbox [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Running isn't boring. Swimming laps is boring. Really, how long can you look at a black stripe on the bottom of a pool before you decide to light your house on fire?

NSFW

Sep 21, 2007, 4:53 PM
Post #258 of 317 (8877 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
Running isn't boring. Swimming laps is boring. Really, how long can you look at a black stripe on the bottom of a pool before you decide to light your house on fire?

Absolutely agree... though running on a hamster wheel (i.e. treadmill) is almost as boring.

Give me an iPod I can take in the pool and maybe I would swim laps. Until then, I'll stick with my running shoes or bike.

Valarc

Sep 21, 2007, 4:54 PM
Post #259 of 317 (8874 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
Running isn't boring. Swimming laps is boring.

I dunno, at least I can pee without stopping while I'm swimming laps...

NSFW

Sep 21, 2007, 4:57 PM
Post #260 of 317 (8864 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Valarc wrote:
angry wrote:

You've obviously never done an Ironman or endurance race.

caughtinside

Sep 21, 2007, 5:00 PM
Post #261 of 317 (8855 views)
Shortcut

Re: [NSFW] Sigh, back on the soapbox [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

NSFW wrote:
Valarc wrote:
angry wrote:

No. You have to run! Tongue

Valarc

Sep 21, 2007, 5:00 PM
Post #262 of 317 (8854 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

NSFW wrote:
My longest race is to get to the crapper and back during commercials while watching an Eagles game on Sunday after I've eaten too many nuclear buffalo wings.

Partner angry

Sep 21, 2007, 5:03 PM
Post #263 of 317 (8846 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

NSFW wrote:
Valarc wrote:
angry wrote:

Funny you mention it. I've done two Ironmans. I've not pissed myself in either. Pee in the transition areas and you're set. You're so dehydrated the entire race, it doesn't really come up.

Now I've pissed off my bike several times. That's in road racing. Just get a teammate to put his hand on your shoulder to keep your speed, stop pedaling, whip er our (either down the leg or out the waist, depending on hang and short type) and let it fly. The peloton appreciates it if you move to the back of the pack to do this. I didn't get a drop on me.

microbarn

Sep 21, 2007, 5:12 PM
Post #264 of 317 (8821 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
NSFW wrote:
Valarc wrote:
angry wrote:

Funny you mention it. I've done two Ironmans. I've not pissed myself in either. Pee in the transition areas and you're set. You're so dehydrated the entire race, it doesn't really come up.

Now I've pissed off my bike several times. That's in road racing. Just get a teammate to put his hand on your shoulder to keep your speed, stop pedaling, whip er our (either down the leg or out the waist, depending on hang and short type) and let it fly. The peloton appreciates it if you move to the back of the pack to do this. I didn't get a drop on me.

female runners have it come up more often then guys.

I have heard of several girls that pee themselves during the race almost every time they run their personal best.

NSFW

Sep 21, 2007, 5:32 PM
Post #265 of 317 (8790 views)
Shortcut

Re: [microbarn] Sigh, back on the soapbox [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

microbarn wrote:
angry wrote:
NSFW wrote:
Valarc wrote:
angry wrote:

female runners have it come up more often then guys.

I have heard of several girls that pee themselves during the race almost every time they run their personal best.

Two different things though... one is people maxing out on an endurance race and pissing themselves, the other is just not wanting to stop to relieve yourself.

And to Angry's point, most the ironmen I know let go what they can on the bike just because it's easier. But if you have to go while on the run, so be it.

builttospill

Sep 21, 2007, 5:45 PM
Post #266 of 317 (8767 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

NSFW wrote:
angry wrote:

Absolutely agree... though running on a hamster wheel (i.e. treadmill) is almost as boring.

Give me an iPod I can take in the pool and maybe I would swim laps. Until then, I'll stick with my running shoes or bike.

http://www.waterproofmusic.com/

A little spendy though. I still wouldn't enjoy swimming. I suck at it.

raingod

Sep 21, 2007, 7:20 PM
Post #267 of 317 (8693 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:

I always found swimming laps to be mentally relaxing, like meditation only you are working out at the same time. Really an interesting feeling when you are done. Exhausted and refreshed at the same time

jt512

Sep 21, 2007, 10:15 PM
Post #268 of 317 (8662 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Valarc wrote:
jt512 wrote:
With the reasonable assumption that high-end sport routes will only be climbed by high-end sport climbers, then leaving the tick marks in place is doing the next climber a favor.

If all high-end sport climbers enjoy tickmarks and aren't interested in the mental challenge of figuring out a sequence for themselves, I hope like hell I stay a gumby my whole life.

You guys are acting as though a redpoint of a route that has tick marks on it left by prior climbers is a slam dunk. Nothing could be further from the truth. But first of all, how much additional beta do tick marks give you? On a popular sport climb all the hand holds are already hopelessly caked with chalk. You couldn't scrub the chalk off even if you wanted to. So, you already have considerable beta on the handholds. It is usually feet that are tick marked because they are harder to see than handholds, and they don't get chalked up automatically, as handholds do. So, for the most part, all tick marks do is tell you where other people have been putting their feet. This gives you nothing more than clues. Those feet might or might not work for you. Even when handholds are ticked, it's the same sort of beta: just a suggestion. They tell you what holds other people are using. YMMV. Furthermore, they don't tell you how to use the holds, what body positions to use, how to initiate or time movement, how to pace the route, where and how to rest, and on and on. Believe me, you still have plenty of beta to work out. I mean, come on, people, think! Tick marks don't climb the route for you. Even with tick marks, you can spend anywhere from 2 burns to multiple years to send projects.

Jay

zeke_sf

Sep 21, 2007, 11:37 PM
Post #269 of 317 (8621 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Sigh, back on the soapbox [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Partner baja_java

Sep 21, 2007, 11:47 PM
Post #270 of 317 (8605 views)
Shortcut

Re: Sigh, back on the soapbox [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you chalk infidels and your mother of unholy yes chalk but no ticks or yes ticks contrivances, in the name of god, the merciful, the compassionate, the almighty, if he wills, may you squabble on and on to no more air in lungs and fall face down on your ticked or unticked chalk caked keyboards and leave the blessed rocks free from your infidel masses of graffiti hands. he the all powerful will make it a source of shame and disgrace and the guilt of a major crime in this life and in the hereafter for the perpetrators of chalk, the enemies of god and humanity. may god blind the eyes of you infidels. may the blind infidels walk into trees and step on snakes and reach into holes with scorpions. may birds with big feathers feast on your rotting entrails. god is great. may all the traitors of leave no trace and no can clean after themselves and those of weak wills and two faces be banished. god is great. let the lowly chalk aiders be cursed. all infidel chalk sends are aid sends and no more in the true eyes of god. the despicable infidel chalkists will face a bitter defeat, god willing. the days to come will go as god wills, with a glorious victory that is most crushing over the infidels

zeke_sf

Sep 21, 2007, 11:54 PM
Post #271 of 317 (8595 views)
Shortcut

Re: [baja_java] Sigh, back on the soapbox [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

praise Allah!!!!

Partner artm

Sep 21, 2007, 11:56 PM
Post #272 of 317 (8589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

baja_java wrote:
you chalk infidels and your mother of unholy yes chalk but no ticks or yes ticks contrivances, in the name of god, the merciful, the compassionate, the almighty, if he wills, may you squabble on and on to no more air in lungs and fall face down on your ticked or unticked chalk caked keyboards and leave the blessed rocks free from your infidel masses of graffiti hands. he the all powerful will make it a source of shame and disgrace and the guilt of a major crime in this life and in the hereafter for the perpetrators of chalk, the enemies of god and humanity. may god blind the eyes of you infidels. may the blind infidels walk into trees and step on snakes and reach into holes with scorpions. may birds with big feathers feast on your rotting entrails. god is great. may all the traitors of leave no trace and no can clean after themselves and those of weak wills and two faces be banished. god is great. let the lowly chalk aiders be cursed. all infidel chalk sends are aid sends and no more in the true eyes of god. the despicable infidel chalkists will face a bitter defeat, god willing. the days to come will go as god wills, with a glorious victory that is most crushing over the infidels
JIHAD!!!!

ALLLLLAAAH

NSFW

Sep 22, 2007, 12:04 AM
Post #273 of 317 (8582 views)
Shortcut

Re: [artm] Sigh, back on the soapbox [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Muhammad Jihad. Dirka Dirka Allah.

climbsomething

Sep 22, 2007, 12:20 AM
Post #274 of 317 (8570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

baja_java wrote:
You are so weird.

Don't ever change Laugh

shockabuku

Sep 22, 2007, 1:13 AM
Post #275 of 317 (8532 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

baja_java wrote:

god is an allusion, chalk is reality

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook