Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Guide book for AZ and Mt Hayden
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

Muppethead

Sep 25, 2007, 6:28 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1799 views)
Shortcut

Guide book for AZ and Mt Hayden  (North_America: United_States: Arizona)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I will be in AZ for a couple of days to hike the canyon, but I am looking to do some climbing as well. There is incomplete (at least for me) information about Hayden in the files.

I am looking for any Beta on climbs on Hayden in the 5.5-5.8 range (or if there is anything else easy worth climbing around the north or south rim)

I am also looking for a guide books for AZ that would cover some of the better climbing between Phoenix and the Canyon. Still looking to climb in the 5.5 5.10 range (I have a couple of beginners with me)

Thanks for any help

Scott

el_layclimber

Sep 25, 2007, 7:20 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1794 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Muppethead] Guide book for AZ and Mt Hayden [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There are a few routes near the rim of the canyon. They are listed in the Falcon guide to Arizona.
I have seen some belay anchors off the trail about a mile down the Bright Angel trail as well, the routes looked difficult but interesting.
Flagstaff has a lifetime of climbing, The Overlook and West Elden have a short hike, lots of great moderates and are easily toproped. A Cheap Way to Fly is the guide for Flag and environs.

scotchie

Sep 25, 2007, 10:11 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1786 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Muppethead] Guide book for AZ and Mt Hayden [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Mt Hayden:
Grand Canyon Summits Select
Rock Climbing Arizona

Mt Hayden has the heinous approach from hell! Be careful, pay attention to route finding, and get ready for thorn bushes. I think it is usually done in 1.5 days, even though it is officially only Grade IV.

Between Phoenix and Grand Canyon? Dude, there is so much rock in Arizona! Check out the routes section of the site. Some climbing spots between Grand Canyon and Phoenix are (north to south):
- Flagstaff (Oak Creek Overlook, The Pit)
- Jack's Canyon
- Sedona
- Prescott (Dells, Granite Mountain, Sully's)
- Scottsdale (Pinnacle Peak, McDowells)

Rock Climbing Arizona has some information on all of these areas, although you will need to consult other guidebooks for a complete list of routes.

This is the time of the year that you can climb pretty much everywhere in the state without having to worry about the weather. Have fun!

sonso45

Oct 5, 2007, 3:18 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1741 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scotchie] Guide book for AZ and Mt Hayden [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you only have a couple days to climb the grand canyon and the rest of northern az, good luck. I think the Pit near Flag would fit the schedule you describe in your post. It's next to the road, a short walk and lots of routes but not really many routes for raw beginners. There are a few routes, not many but have fun.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$7.16 (10% off)
$4.05 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook