Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

caughtinside

Sep 26, 2007, 6:53 PM
Post #1 of 149 (21806 views)
Shortcut

All ropes are the same!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Heh.

It's true. I've been climbing for 6 years now, just enough to spout off about my ignorance.

And what I have discovered is that all ropes are THE SAME.

There are only a couple differences. bi-color, diameter and length. Oh yeah, and dry.

What I'm saying is that brand doesn't matter. # of falls doesn't matter. Impact force is a # made up by the travelocity roaming Gnome, denouncer of travel myths. I don't want to hear about elongation, because they all stretch. If they're skinny, they stretch more.

People have their favorite brands. Mammut seems to be the most common favorite brand. It also seems to be the most expensive. Big surprise! I've used mammuts. Nothing special!

I've currently got 4 ropes in active duty, and they're all the same. Sure, I have a favorite, but it's cause its pretty. and skinny. And light. And I climbed with it in Thailand, got some fond memories. But it isn't better than any of my other ropes.

People talk about the 'hand' of a rope. Personally, I couldn't care less. I've used stiff ropes. I've used noodle ropes. My favorites are somewhere in between these extremes, but really I don't care.

I've heard it claimed that some ropes twist easier than other ropes. This is more bullshit. You rigged an anchor wrong, deal with it. I've done it and jacked some ropes. It's fixable.

Anyway, that is my conclusion after years of emprical study and anecdotal research. I buy the cheapest ropes I can find. A good belay is the important thing.

shockabuku

Sep 26, 2007, 6:57 PM
Post #2 of 149 (21796 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] All ropes are the same! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not true, mine's pinkish purple and it's really cool.

(This post was edited by shockabuku on Sep 26, 2007, 6:57 PM)

Carnage

Sep 26, 2007, 6:58 PM
Post #3 of 149 (21791 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ive only been climbing for about a year and ive noticed the same thing. ive done a bunch of outdoor trips all with different people, and it seems that really the only thing that matters with ropes is the diameter. diameter affects stretch, thats the only real noticeable thing with ropes.

dont really have any experience with durability since i havnt been climbing long enough, but it seems like as long as you dont fuck your rope up on a sharp edge, itll last you a long time

caughtinside

Sep 26, 2007, 7:01 PM
Post #4 of 149 (21778 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] All ropes are the same! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
Not true, mine's pinkish purple and it's really cool.

Excellent point. My favorite rope is purple with pink flecks. However, my post was about rope performance. Rope coolness is a factor I didn't address.

krusher4

Sep 26, 2007, 7:01 PM
Post #5 of 149 (21779 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do like lighter ropes, don't care about handling. I just buy whatever not too big and on sale at REI.

potreroed

Sep 26, 2007, 7:09 PM
Post #6 of 149 (21756 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I disagree--I've been climbing for 40 years and have owned just about every rope on the market and I think you are wrong. Different ropes handle differently, hold knots differently, wear out differently and kink up differently (you obviously never owned an Esprit Rope from Canada!!)

And, yes, Mammut is my favorite rope.

reg

Sep 26, 2007, 7:36 PM
Post #7 of 149 (21723 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i currently have two bluewaters' - an 11mm (older model) for TR & stump pullin and a 10.5 accelerator. they couldn't be any more different. the 11 ties like a sassafrass root while the 10.5 is noodly and sinches tight.

norm1057

Sep 26, 2007, 7:44 PM
Post #8 of 149 (21706 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reg] All ropes are the same! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Love my 10.5.

binrat

Sep 26, 2007, 7:44 PM
Post #9 of 149 (21706 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You have to keep in mind what the material that rope is manufactured of, nylon 6 or nylon 66, and the source of it. Also I think the weave of it matters as well.

Just my$.02

Binrat

caughtinside

Sep 26, 2007, 7:52 PM
Post #10 of 149 (21679 views)
Shortcut

Re: [potreroed] All ropes are the same! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

potreroed wrote:
I disagree--I've been climbing for 40 years and have owned just about every rope on the market and I think you are wrong. Different ropes handle differently, hold knots differently, wear out differently and kink up differently (you obviously never owned an Esprit Rope from Canada!!)

I believe all of that is superficial and immaterial.

shu

Sep 26, 2007, 7:57 PM
Post #11 of 149 (21675 views)
Shortcut

Re: [krusher4] All ropes are the same! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

krusher4 wrote:
I do like lighter ropes, don't care about handling. I just buy whatever not too big and on sale at REI.

REI sells crappy ropes?

(This post was edited by shu on Sep 26, 2007, 8:01 PM)

coastal_climber

Sep 26, 2007, 8:02 PM
Post #12 of 149 (21662 views)
Shortcut

Re: [norm1057] All ropes are the same! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

norm1057 wrote:
Love my 10.5.

MammutSmile

>Cam

hopperhopper

Sep 26, 2007, 8:04 PM
Post #13 of 149 (21659 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

reg wrote:
i currently have two bluewaters' - an 11mm (older model) for TR & stump pullin and a 10.5 accelerator. they couldn't be any more different. the 11 ties like a sassafrass root while the 10.5 is noodly and sinches tight.

LOL @ sassafrass root

Squatchmo

Sep 26, 2007, 8:11 PM
Post #14 of 149 (21643 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hopperhopper] All ropes are the same! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When I started climbing I used a 9mm Static rope rated at 244 pounds that I paid $9 and change for at Home Depot. Still breathing.

Partner j_ung

Sep 26, 2007, 8:11 PM
Post #15 of 149 (21642 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
potreroed wrote:

I think there are substantial differences between brands in regard to durability, and I don't think durability is superficial. You're a nutcase.

(This post was edited by j_ung on Sep 26, 2007, 8:13 PM)

Partner j_ung

Sep 26, 2007, 8:15 PM
Post #16 of 149 (21624 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Squatchmo] All ropes are the same! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Squatchmo wrote:
When I started climbing I used a 9mm Static rope rated at 244 pounds that I paid $9 and change for at Home Depot. Still breathing.

One substantial leadfall and you wouldn't be.

caughtinside

Sep 26, 2007, 8:18 PM
Post #17 of 149 (21619 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] All ropes are the same! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
potreroed wrote:

I think there are substantial differences between brands in regard to durability, and I don't think durability is superficial. You're a nutcase.

Actually yes. I believe that durability is largely superficial. I think that ropes of equal weight (ie, diameter) generally wear approximately the same. SOme have thicker sheaths, which make them heavier.

Also, a way to measure durability prior to purchase is basically nonexistent to your climbing consumer, it's all garbled hearsay and anecdote, and company marketing.

Finally, I usually do something that fucks my rope up before I actually wear it out. Coreshot from rockfall, grind through the sheath tr dogging a project on sharp rock, etc.

Durability is immaterial.

Sorry j_ung, I don't want to blow the good gig you've got going scoring free ropes by reviewing them for the site and pretending they're different, but face it. All ropes are the same.

moose_droppings

Sep 26, 2007, 8:22 PM
Post #18 of 149 (21612 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
Excellent point. My favorite rope is purple with pink flecks. However, my post was about rope performance.

My rope can hold a tune.
Tongue

stefanohatari

Sep 26, 2007, 8:26 PM
Post #19 of 149 (21602 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
Heh.

It's true. I've been climbing for 6 years now, just enough to spout off about my ignorance.

There are only a couple differences. bi-color, diameter and length. Oh yeah, and dry.

What I'm saying is that brand doesn't matter. # of falls doesn't matter. Impact force is a # made up by the travelocity roaming Gnome, denouncer of travel myths. I don't want to hear about elongation, because they all stretch. If they're skinny, they stretch more.

People have their favorite brands. Mammut seems to be the most common favorite brand. It also seems to be the most expensive. Big surprise! I've used mammuts. Nothing special!

I've currently got 4 ropes in active duty, and they're all the same. Sure, I have a favorite, but it's cause its pretty. and skinny. And light. And I climbed with it in Thailand, got some fond memories. But it isn't better than any of my other ropes.

People talk about the 'hand' of a rope. Personally, I couldn't care less. I've used stiff ropes. I've used noodle ropes. My favorites are somewhere in between these extremes, but really I don't care.

I've heard it claimed that some ropes twist easier than other ropes. This is more bullshit. You rigged an anchor wrong, deal with it. I've done it and jacked some ropes. It's fixable.

Anyway, that is my conclusion after years of emprical study and anecdotal research. I buy the cheapest ropes I can find. A good belay is the important thing.

I think the body of your post contradicts your subject line. You talk about a number of differences in your post: price, color, length, diameter, elongation, dry, 'hand'. You say that some of these differences are important to you (you like a particular rope because of its diameter, weight, and appearance).

So what's the real point? Other than our apparent shared boredom.

caughtinside

Sep 26, 2007, 8:29 PM
Post #20 of 149 (21595 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stefanohatari] All ropes are the same! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stefanohatari wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
Heh.

I think the body of your post contradicts your subject line. You talk about a number of differences in your post: price, color, length, diameter, elongation, dry, 'hand'. You say that some of these differences are important to you (you like a particular rope because of its diameter, weight, and appearance).

So what's the real point? Other than our apparent shared boredom.

Thank you for your question, it has temporarily revived me from my stupor. I am sorry I was unclear. My meaning was that what brand of rope you have is unimportant. There is no real reason to choose between a Maxim and a Mammut that are both 9.8s. Ergo, the less expensive rope is the correct rope to purchase.

And to carry it further, there is very little difference between a 9.8 and a 10.0. In such a situation, the correct choice again might be to choose the cheaper rope, if the price difference is more than a few bucks.

Once they get a few pitches in them they are all the same anyway.

miscmouse

Sep 26, 2007, 8:37 PM
Post #21 of 149 (21577 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Squatchmo] All ropes are the same! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

squatchmo, i dont think anybody wants to know about your particular climbing injury. maybe thats just me

kimmyt

Sep 26, 2007, 8:38 PM
Post #22 of 149 (21575 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It always seems like the noodly ropes get tangled more easily.

FWIW I bought my rope cause it was in a box with a sale sign on it. I think no one bought them cause they were purple and pink. Guys are dumb.

jh_angel

Sep 26, 2007, 8:39 PM
Post #23 of 149 (21570 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I feel now is a good time to point out this thread: http://www.rockclimbing.com/...=1678065;page=unread

Obviously this can be the only exception. There's no way there could be another. No way.

caughtinside

Sep 26, 2007, 8:42 PM
Post #24 of 149 (21562 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jh_angel] All ropes are the same! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jh_angel wrote:
I feel now is a good time to point out this thread: http://www.rockclimbing.com/...=1678065;page=unread

Obviously this can be the only exception. There's no way there could be another. No way.

So what? They've been making ropes for 10 minutes. It's not like other ropes don't occasionally have the sheath separate from the core. Happened to me once. Climbed a season on it. started to separate. took it back, got it replaced with a brand new one, same model.

Partner robdotcalm

Sep 26, 2007, 8:58 PM
Post #25 of 149 (21530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

«There are only a couple differences. bi-color, diameter and length. Oh yeah, and dry.»

My take: after a few days of crag use with either rappelling or lowering, there's little difference between dry ropes and untreated ropes. About 10 years ago, I weighed 2 ropes, which were identical except for the dry treatment, when they were dry. Then I placed them in the bathtub for 15 minutes. They both gained exactly the same weight.

This confirmed my obvservation that outdoors they both got just as wet if it rained.

Cheers, r.c

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook