RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Gmburns2000

Sep 25, 2007, 1:12 PM
Post #1 of 15 (729 views)
Shortcut

Climbing and Alzheimers
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This is going to sound odd, but a buddy of mine told me recently that he read an article about how the climbing community has a higher-than-average Alzheimers population. He said that the study focused on that black stuff that gets on your hands when belaying a dirty rope. Apparently, the black stuff isn't just dirt, but also a residue from carabiners and belay devices and that this residue in high doses, over time, can have an adverse effect. Supposedly, just picking up a biner wouldn't hurt, but running ropes over one all day, several times a year over many, many years combined with wiping one's face or rubbing one's nose or eating food without washing hands first would help the residue become ingested more than just handling the gear itself.

Anyway, he doesn't have the report on hand, and can't remember where he read it, so I wanted to know if anyone else had heard of this, if there was any reason to believe this, if anyone knows of the report or, in general, if this makes sense. My partner wasn't fooling around when he said this, and I don't have any reason to believe that he'd lie about it. It is possible that he didn't remember the article as well as he could have, but conceptually he wouldn't have made this up out of thin air.

Thoughts? I'm not necessarily concerned, but it is interesting.

PS - it is odd that the word "carabiner" comes up as misspelled on a climbing site's spell checker.

binrat

Sep 25, 2007, 1:43 PM
Post #2 of 15 (705 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] Climbing and Alzheimers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Is this a twist to the Aluminum pot syndrome?Sounds like it to me. Now back to..............what was I doing again?

Binrat

blueeyedclimber

Sep 25, 2007, 1:45 PM
Post #3 of 15 (701 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, I'd like the salad. What's that you say?, I go to bed now. Beans are good. Spell-check, what, who said that? NOOOO. Me go potty in my pants. Yes, back in 1959, I was a bus driver. I've seen some things, I have....wooo boy!.......

Gmburns2000

Sep 25, 2007, 1:49 PM
Post #4 of 15 (695 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blueeyedclimber] Climbing and Alzheimers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

blueeyedclimber wrote:
Yes, I'd like the salad. What's that you say?, I go to bed now. Beans are good. Spell-check, what, who said that? NOOOO. Me go potty in my pants. Yes, back in 1959, I was a bus driver. I've seen some things, I have....wooo boy!.......

I WAS SERIOUS!!!!!Unsure

Tongue

No really, I was serious. Damn, you can't get anything off this site.

Hey Josh, what's your name again?

OK, OK, back to the question at hand. Seriously, has anyone heard of this?

edited: forgot the "?" after "this"

(This post was edited by Gmburns2000 on Sep 25, 2007, 1:49 PM)

binrat

Sep 25, 2007, 1:59 PM
Post #5 of 15 (678 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

But seriously, the Canadian Military ordered personnel to stop using the aluminum mess tins for eating while in the field. Not saying that the APS is for real or anything.
I do not know of any studies on this effects on climbers.

Just my $.02 worth

Binrat

Gmburns2000

Sep 25, 2007, 2:01 PM
Post #6 of 15 (673 views)
Shortcut

Re: [binrat] Climbing and Alzheimers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

binrat wrote:
But seriously, the Canadian Military ordered personnel to stop using the aluminum mess tins for eating while in the field. Not saying that the APS is for real or anything.

Just my $.02 worth

Binrat

That's an interesting start to solving the mystery. Thanks.

fitzontherocks

Sep 25, 2007, 2:15 PM
Post #7 of 15 (659 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
blueeyedclimber wrote:

I WAS SERIOUS!!!!!Unsure

Tongue

No really, I was serious. Damn, you can't get anything off this site.

Hey Josh, what's your name again?

OK, OK, back to the question at hand. Seriously, has anyone heard of this?

edited: forgot the "?" after "this"

OK, you KNEW that was coming, right? Anyway, I just spent about 30 minutes googling carabiners and Alzheimer's and got zilch. Lean on the friend who told you this. MAKE him remember! Inquiring minds want to know. And I think binrat's aluminum pot theory is not too far of IF there's any truth to this at all. But it's a big IF. And if it's just memory loss we're talking about here, well, that could easily just be the weed.

lena_chita

Sep 25, 2007, 2:15 PM
Post #8 of 15 (659 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

maybe RC.com will eventually have a category for "Alzheimer onsight" in a climbing log?

Seriously though, I don't know anything about this particular study, but I have seen other news reports of the link between Alzheimer and Aluminum. (though I never was worried enough to dig out the original scientific papers... b/c I don't have aluminum cookware)

Anyway, I did see that a review of belay gloves in October Rock and Ice uses this as their selling point for the gloves (protecting yourself from Aluminum oxide)

the_leech

Sep 25, 2007, 2:25 PM
Post #9 of 15 (648 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Gmburns2000 wrote:
binrat wrote:

Just my $.02 worth

Binrat

No it's not. It's just a useless anecdote.

The link (or lack thereof) between Alzheimer's and aluminum has been studied extensively.

Might I suggest searching Pubmed rather than a rock climbing forum if you're looking for useful information on medical issues?

Gmburns2000

Sep 25, 2007, 2:33 PM
Post #10 of 15 (637 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fitzontherocks] Climbing and Alzheimers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fitzontherocks wrote:

OK, you KNEW that was coming, right?

Yeah, I knew it was coming. I was just hoping...

fitzontherocks wrote:
Anyway, I just spent about 30 minutes googling carabiners and Alzheimer's and got zilch. Lean on the friend who told you this. MAKE him remember! Inquiring minds want to know. And I think binrat's aluminum pot theory is not too far of IF there's any truth to this at all. But it's a big IF. And if it's just memory loss we're talking about here, well, that could easily just be the weed.

This is what I found after a Google search of "alzheimers and aluminum" -

http://student.biology.arizona.edu/ad/allevels.html

http://www.alzheimers.org.uk/...s/info_aluminium.htm - I love this one because in the US, we are the only country that spells this element a-l-u-m-i-n-u-m. Everyone else spells is a-l-u-m-i-n-i-u-m

Other then that, I also googled Alzheimer's and Rock Climbing and didn't find any hits (but I did that before I posted my original post - that's why I asked). It seems aluminum doesn't really have an effect, but it is inconclusive.

binrat

Sep 25, 2007, 2:37 PM
Post #11 of 15 (633 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_leech] Climbing and Alzheimers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was just talking to a friend who indicated it was more for hygiene. The mess tins had a porous surface which held food particles in it. If not properly cleaned the troops were getting sick from it.

Binrat

Gmburns2000

Sep 25, 2007, 2:38 PM
Post #12 of 15 (631 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the_leech wrote:

Might I suggest searching Pubmed rather than a rock climbing forum if you're looking for useful information on medical issues?

The question was specific to climbing, though admittingly through aluminum. To be honest, I didn't know if there was anything different done to aluminum climbing equipment from a baseball bat. I don't know why there would be a difference, but not knowing why doesn't convince me that there isn't a difference. In the end, however, it seems there is not.

I suppose I could have asked a college baseball forum and / or a recycling center forum, too. Wink

jaybro

Sep 27, 2007, 1:26 AM
Post #13 of 15 (536 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Another argument for free soloing.

"Alzheimer onsight"
-you can't climb the same climb twice, even if you, Can, remember previous ascents.

mikitta

Sep 27, 2007, 1:55 AM
Post #14 of 15 (514 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jaybro] Climbing and Alzheimers [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Used to work at an assisted living facility on the Senile Dementia ward. Could tell some very funny stories if I wanted to ;p

Just on the face of it, I can't imagine any study has been done that connects climbers and Alzheimer's - study size would be rather small. Also, haven't aluminum 'biners only been in use for the last 30ish years? Didn't they used to be steel? Maybe not - I can't remember :p

I think this is an urban legend. You might check Snopes.com to see if they have anything on it.

/me wanders off mumbling about the cat in the belay device and when is her uncle coming home from the post office ...

God Bless,
mik

gunkiemike

Sep 27, 2007, 2:03 AM
Post #15 of 15 (504 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the_leech wrote:
Gmburns2000 wrote:
binrat wrote:

Just my $.02 worth

Binrat

No it's not. It's just a useless anecdote.

The link (or lack thereof) between Alzheimer's and aluminum has been studied extensively.

The last thing I read in the popular press about the Al-AD connection is that the whole thing started with the report that AD patients' brains contained elevated levels of Al. That was subsequently found to be spurious results, but the connection was off and running and now has a life of its own. As evidenced bu this latest scare, no doubt.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook