Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
toproping with kids
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

ericf

Oct 5, 2007, 6:38 AM
Post #1 of 3 (1636 views)
Shortcut

toproping with kids  (North_America: United_States: Texas: South_Central_Texas: Reimers_Ranch)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi, I'll be traveling with kids to Austin in February. Are there any good places to toprope with some kids? (Both easy to set up, and where we won't annoy too many people!)

thanks,
Eric

climbingaggie03

Oct 5, 2007, 7:58 AM
Post #2 of 3 (1607 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ericf] toproping with kids [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well, if you want to go to reimers, there's the short cake wall which has like 3 5.7's that are short, but you'll have to lead or boulder/freesolo to set them up. There's also some routes at the left of dead cats wall that are reasonable for kids, but I'm pretty sure that you'll need to lead to the top.

you might be able to walk around and clip some top anchors, but it's not done very often, and I bet it would be pretty hard to find the climbs. I don't remember ever seeing anyone when I peek over the top.

The green belt is kinda the same story, but the tops of some of the climbs are private property and there are stories of people being shot at when they topped out so make sure you're not tresspassing.

So if you or your kids can lead 5.7-5.8 then yeah there might be some top roping, but I don't know of any walk around set ups in the austin area. E-rock on the other hand....

ericf

Oct 8, 2007, 5:13 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1565 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingaggie03] toproping with kids [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks, I may have to pass. (I'm neurotic about anchors for the kids -- as they say, they've got to be able to hold a volkswagon!)

Eric

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$14.58 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook