Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Clibming in CA in end October/early Nov.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

stinky_socks

Oct 8, 2007, 2:53 AM
Post #1 of 4 (1489 views)
Shortcut

Clibming in CA in end October/early Nov.  (North_America: United_States: California)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi everybody,

i will be on vacation from 24th of October to 10th November in california.
I climb maximum 5.10a bolted and 5.8 trad.
Any suggestions for places to climb, from what i have seen a lot of places will not be climbable due to the weather, snow in the sierra's....
Will be landing and departing from San Francisco, but will rent a car.
Are there any areas that would be suitable for my (lowly) level, i like full day climbs (200-400m) as well as just smaller stuff.
would Joshua tree be possible at that time of the year? or is the climbing only hard there?
this would probably be as far south as we would want to go, as there are other things we would like to see
any suggestions on climbing near the sea would also be appreciated.

thanks in advance!

TahoeJim

Oct 11, 2007, 4:11 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1451 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stinky_socks] Clibming in CA in end October/early Nov. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Tons of 5.8-5.10 climbing within 3-4 hours drive of SF. If you've never been there, Yosemite is an absolute must and the Valley should fine that time of year. Honestly, most anything below 6000 ft you should be fine (unless weather is "odd" - which is ALWAYS possible here).

You could also hit Pinnacles or cruise out to Bridgeport. Around SF, you could try Castle Rock. I haven't been there, but have heard good things.

Joshua Tree is probably 7 hours from SF. If you're willing to make a drive like that, I'd recommend passing on the desert, head to Yosemite and then down to Bishop.

Have a great trip!

shimanilami

Oct 11, 2007, 4:39 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1433 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yosemite should be at the top of your list. Even if it's raining, just seeing the Valley is a must for any climber. And if the weather is good, you could easily spend your entire vacation there. There's plenty of climbing in your range.

If the weather isn't good up north, or if you just want to see more of California, then heading to the Eastern Sierra or Joshua Tree are both good ideas. Both have their unique appeal: beauty, climbing style, climbing scene, etc. There's plenty of climbing in your range in either location. It's a lot of miles, however, so you may want to focus on one or the other so you spend as much time as possible climbing rather than driving.

I would skip Pinnacles and Castle Rock, unless you're stuck in the Bay Area for a couple of days ... in which case, PM me.

sspssp

Oct 11, 2007, 4:45 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1432 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do you have to have firm plans ahead of time or can you make a last minute decision.

Yosemite is really hit or miss that time of year. You could have a week of sunshine and be cragging in a t-shirt or you could spend a week watching it rain.

If Yosemite is looking good when you arrive in SF, I would recommend going there. You don't need camping reservations for Yosemite that time of year. There will be spots in camp 4 (and if by chance camp 4 is full, you can stay someone else for a day until you get in camp 4).

If Yosemite is wet, heading to JT is probably your best best. End of October/start of Novemember is probably as good as it gets in JT (rain would be rare, but it could still range from calm and hot to windy and cold). I think JT is overrated and it is a long drive. But if it has the best weather, there is enough 10a bolts and 5.8 trad to keep you busy for a week or two (or keep an eye on the weather and come back up to Yosemite).

Bishop would be a good area for bouldering or climbing at Owens, but 120 through Yosemite will be closed and the long way around is a long way around (not worth it in my opinion).

(This post was edited by sspssp on Oct 11, 2007, 4:46 PM)

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$53.96 (10% off)
$137.70 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook