Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Sigh, back on the soapbox
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next page Last page  View All

zeke_sf

Nov 1, 2007, 10:42 PM
Post #301 of 317 (10691 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jt512] Sigh, back on the soapbox [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=UlcQ3mxlNfs

Dreamcatcher, with the crux holds well ticked.

Good video, which demonstrates a number of bad habits, according to knowledgeable rc.com users: pre-clipped first bolt; project draws left hanging; 3-inch tick marks on hand holds; clipping overhead instead of at the waist; flashy, but otherwise useless dynos. An invalid, unethical ascent for so many reasons.

Jay

Some might call it a spiritual crime....I thought the clipping at the waist was a total gym construct? That's the only place I've heard of that as a no-no, anyway.

So, he's going to be interviewed on NPR tonight and they are billing him as the world's best rock climber. My wife was telling me this on the phone, and I had a good chuckle when she told me his quote: "Sometime you've got to be aggro." Ahh, Chris. Not one with the words, is he?

zeke_sf

Nov 1, 2007, 10:42 PM
Post #302 of 317 (10689 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeke_sf] Sigh, back on the soapbox [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

zeke_sf wrote:
jt512 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:

Good video, which demonstrates a number of bad habits, according to knowledgeable rc.com users: pre-clipped first bolt; project draws left hanging; 3-inch tick marks on hand holds; clipping overhead instead of at the waist; flashy, but otherwise useless dynos. An invalid, unethical ascent for so many reasons.

Jay

Some might call it a spiritual crime....I thought the clipping at the waist was a total gym construct? That's the only place I've heard of that as a no-no, anyway.

So, he's going to be interviewed on NPR tonight and they are billing him as the world's best rock climber. My wife was telling me this on the phone, and I had a good chuckle when she told me his quote: "Sometime you've got to be aggro." Ahh, Chris. Not one with the words, is he?

PTFTW!!!!

scotchie

Nov 1, 2007, 10:48 PM
Post #303 of 317 (10681 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
I don't know how long this link will be live for,

Only as long as you keep resurrecting the thread. Oh, I just resurrected it again. DOH!

(This post was edited by scotchie on Nov 2, 2007, 12:19 AM)

notapplicable

Nov 2, 2007, 12:25 AM
Post #304 of 317 (10643 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:

Jay

I see you finally came to your senses Jay. How's life as an enlightened man finding you?

Partner j_ung

Nov 2, 2007, 12:37 PM
Post #305 of 317 (10603 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

zeke_sf wrote:

It looks pretty stupid in print, but I heard the interview and, when he said it, it came off as self-depreciating. In fact, I thought, all in all, he sounded polite, intelligent and down to Earth. Most importantly, he went out of his way on several occasions to point out that he wouldn't be where he was in the sport were it not for the accomplishments of those who came before him "Standing on their shoulders," were his words, I believe.

stymingersfink

Nov 2, 2007, 3:35 PM
Post #306 of 317 (10571 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:

Jay
You forgot worthless heel-hooks on an easy A1 line...Wink

wanderlustmd

Nov 2, 2007, 3:41 PM
Post #307 of 317 (10568 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Sigh, back on the soapbox [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

j_ung wrote:
zeke_sf wrote:

It looks pretty stupid in print, but I heard the interview and, when he said it, it came off as self-depreciating. In fact, I thought, all in all, he sounded polite, intelligent and down to Earth. Most importantly, he went out of his way on several occasions to point out that he wouldn't be where he was in the sport were it not for the accomplishments of those who came before him "Standing on their shoulders," were his words, I believe.

Yeah, anyone who's read any interview or seen any film involving him knows that he's pretty grounded, especially in relation to his achievements. Anyone who badmouths him as being arrogant....:roll:

desertwanderer81

Nov 2, 2007, 3:56 PM
Post #308 of 317 (10553 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=15825820

dingus

Nov 2, 2007, 3:57 PM
Post #309 of 317 (10553 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well hell they seem to have cut the part of that vid where he went back and actually cleaned up his tick marks!

DMT

Partner artm

Nov 2, 2007, 4:03 PM
Post #310 of 317 (10547 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jt512 wrote:
caughtinside wrote:

Jay
OMG!!!
it's a spiritual crime!

Carnage

Nov 6, 2007, 9:12 PM
Post #311 of 317 (10451 views)
Shortcut

Re: [artm] Sigh, back on the soapbox [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

at least they made it a bit of a challenge by giving him a few ticks to choose from

paintrain

Mar 8, 2008, 4:05 AM
Post #312 of 317 (10164 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Sigh, back on the soapbox [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Has anyone seen alpinist 23??

Is that a spread based on the OP incident?

I find it obscene to do photoshoots of people soloing, but I guess people watch nascar for the crashes.

Pt

notapplicable

Mar 8, 2008, 3:23 PM
Post #313 of 317 (10115 views)
Shortcut

Re: [paintrain] Sigh, back on the soapbox [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

paintrain wrote:
Has anyone seen alpinist 23??

Is that a spread based on the OP incident?

I find it obscene to do photoshoots of people soloing, but I guess people watch nascar for the crashes.

Pt

Were you born an asshole or did you have to work hard to get to where you are today?

paintrain

Mar 9, 2008, 1:27 AM
Post #314 of 317 (10061 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] Sigh, back on the soapbox [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Cultivation. Years of careful cultivation.

What's the matter? You watch Nascar?

pt

notapplicable

Mar 9, 2008, 4:16 AM
Post #315 of 317 (10007 views)
Shortcut

Re: [paintrain] Sigh, back on the soapbox [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

paintrain wrote:
Cultivation. Years of careful cultivation.

What's the matter? You watch Nascar?

pt

Well its nice to see that you are accomplishing your goals in life.

Nascar? No it makes me dizzy and bored.

Soloing on the other hand gives me the pleasure.Smile

mecalekahi-mekahidyho

Mar 11, 2008, 3:10 AM
Post #316 of 317 (9920 views)
Shortcut

soapbox thingymabobber. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

From what I see, this shit is all he said she said bullshit. (like the song) haha. IMO, ticks suck. My whole reason for climbing is to conquer something using all of the tools at my disposal. If I neglect any one of these tools, I am robbing from my experience and progression. Lets say I do use ticks, if there is even a chance that someone will climb after me and not like ticks I am going to wash the shit off out of respect for the other climber, whether he/she is a douchebag doesnt matter, they are only a climber on the rock. If not ticking something means I have to learn a new move, awesome, that is my ultimate goal, that will just make the next problem/route more effortless or I will have more tools in my arsenal. As for quantity, over quality, IMO is retarted. I could spend all day on a few difficult problems/routes where ticks may help, and still have just as much fun without ticking.I am not against a companion shouting beta that has just been distinguished that day through our effort, but ticking is gay IMO.I just wanna have fun and improve. oh and JT is a douchebag, if you have been climbing for so long and you still cant do shit, IMO you have no room to talk. He will never admit to being wrong, that is just him. He is the One-upper. Ive been climbing for 9 months and have soloed a 5.12a, pardon the spray everyone else, but eat shit JT, please killfile me and plonk me all you want.

moose_droppings

Mar 11, 2008, 4:17 AM
Post #317 of 317 (9883 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mecalekahi-mekahidyho] soapbox thingymabobber. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mecalekahi-mekahidyho wrote:
From what I see, this shit is all he said she said bullshit. (like the song) haha. IMO, ticks suck. My whole reason for climbing is to conquer something using all of the tools at my disposal. If I neglect any one of these tools, I am robbing from my experience and progression. Lets say I do use ticks, if there is even a chance that someone will climb after me and not like ticks I am going to wash the shit off out of respect for the other climber, whether he/she is a douchebag doesnt matter, they are only a climber on the rock. If not ticking something means I have to learn a new move, awesome, that is my ultimate goal, that will just make the next problem/route more effortless or I will have more tools in my arsenal. As for quantity, over quality, IMO is retarted. I could spend all day on a few difficult problems/routes where ticks may help, and still have just as much fun without ticking.I am not against a companion shouting beta that has just been distinguished that day through our effort, but ticking is gay IMO.I just wanna have fun and improve. oh and JT is a douchebag, if you have been climbing for so long and you still cant do shit, IMO you have no room to talk. He will never admit to being wrong, that is just him. He is the One-upper. Ive been climbing for 9 months and have soloed a 5.12a, pardon the spray everyone else, but eat shit JT, please killfile me and plonk me all you want.

So what is it your trying to say?

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook