Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Climbing in North CA Thanksgiving
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

stepho

Nov 2, 2007, 6:18 AM
Post #1 of 2 (1616 views)
Shortcut

Climbing in North CA Thanksgiving  (North_America: United_States: California)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am flying to Sfo for Thanksgiving... First time in California..!

I am looking for end of november climbing spots (sport / bouldering)! I need nature...! Do you think Yosemite is feasible at this time of the year? What else would you recommend?

Many Thanks
steph

dingus

Nov 2, 2007, 7:18 AM
Post #2 of 2 (1602 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stepho] Climbing in North CA Thanksgiving [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

stepho wrote:
I am flying to Sfo for Thanksgiving... First time in California..!

I am looking for end of november climbing spots (sport / bouldering)! I need nature...! Do you think Yosemite is feasible at this time of the year? What else would you recommend?

Many Thanks
steph

Weather dependant. Could be spectacular, could be raining or snowing. Its the time of year when predictions are useless.

South of San Jose is the Pinnacles, volcanic cobbles welded together (sorta), sport and old school trad. Good place but I wouldn't bother with it unless you go with someone who's been there some.

There is bouldering near San Fran - Castle Rocks.

Here is a link to a Clint Cummins site, a long time norcal climber from Stanford who's provided a wealth of Norcal internet climbing data for 15 or more years:

http://www.stanford.edu/~clint/ba/

Much of the early info I gleaned from the net for some longer routes I'd always wanted to do in Yosemite came from Clint.

Its a 4-hour drive one way from downtown San Fran to the valley floor, better when there's no traffic, but that's rare. 1.5 - 2 hours to the pinnacles. The other bay arean venues are very unspectecular when compared to the Valley.

If you can arrange a drive or a ride and have the time and the weather is holding - definitely go visit the valley! Even if you only fondle the rocks by yourself you will be amazed at the size of the Captain. Go up to the base and look up - whoa!

(don't do that on a sunny day if there is snow on the rim - falling ice can slice you in half)

DMT

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook