RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

vaness

Oct 7, 2001, 6:38 PM
Post #1 of 13 (1317 views)
Shortcut

what do i say??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i was climbing with a group and we were doing one new rout and one we have all done before. the time before we were playing around timing ourselves. it was just 3 of us but i won by like 10 secconds and i did the little overhang at the bottom. it was no big deal to them because we were just doing it for fun. the next time we were there they did it again and this girl beat my time on the same rout but no overhang. she was all in my face about it. saying shes all better than me and stuf. i really didnt care i dont care abuot that stuff. i care about climbing not other people. but i didnt know what to say to her. i felt like saying look first of all you didnt do the same rout as me and seccond i dont care. what should i say to her to get her off my back. i dont want to be mean i just want her to stop!!!!

kagunkie

Oct 7, 2001, 7:02 PM
Post #2 of 13 (1317 views)
Shortcut

what do i say?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just say... WOW oh yes you are much better then me! Good for you! Let her have her little illusion. She must think your a very good climber to be so proud to beat you at something, and very childish to be so mean and have no humility about it. Just let her have her little phantasy about it and maby some day she will outgrow her childish attitude. Anyway you know who is the best and most mature adult between the two of you. She will sabotage herself soon enough.

Partner rrrADAM

Oct 7, 2001, 7:06 PM
Post #3 of 13 (1317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't ask me... I go overboard.

rrrADAM

[ This Message was edited by: rrradam on 2001-10-07 19:07 ]

dean585

Oct 7, 2001, 7:13 PM
Post #4 of 13 (1317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ignore her, her opinion doesnt matter, and as you go through life you will realize that the people that brag are just trying to inflate their own low self-esteem. Its like this, Cindy Crawford doesnt have to walk into a room and announce that she is beautiful,everyone knows she is anyway. A good climber is the same way, do you think that Sharma has to go around telling people he can boulder well.............. nope !!!!

nikegirl

Oct 7, 2001, 7:28 PM
Post #5 of 13 (1317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My reply differs from some of the above.
Teen years here...
I think if nothing said to her, than she would do it again...and to others also. Learn from this situation...stop it in it's tracks. Then there is no resentment. Just respect, hopefully.

You could tell her that how she acted hurt your feelings, and made you feel...hurt, belittled, poked fun at...you choose the word, one to two words should do. Other wise nervous rambling on, might occur. Let her know you want to respect her and like to climb with her. That maybe cheering eachother( positively) on would be better for the general effort, rather than creating seperation, which clearly it has done. Talking in private and calmly could be a good start...and could accomplish more. That way you don't come off as mean. And will get her off your back.

my 2 cents.

rck_climber

Oct 7, 2001, 8:05 PM
Post #6 of 13 (1317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LOL @ ADAM!!! Nice .

Being the consumate peacekeeper (at least until it involves me directly ), I would tell her, probably rather pointedly, that climbing is not about how is better or stronger or faster (unless it's comps, but I don't get into those), it's personal - one on one, just you and the rock. If she can't get that (still telling her this), she won't ever get the bigger picture of climbing - all she's doing is scrambling wildly on rock.

It's about the deeper love of the solitude, the personal challenge and the mental acuity needed to surmount a route, whether it's your first 5.8 on-sight, a 5.10 you've done a hundred times before, or a 5.12c you've been working for the last 2 months.

At least that's what I'd say.
Mick

*And if that failed, then I'd pull an Adam and go crazy on her, citing all the differences and probably challenge her to another climb . (Adam - Luv ya brutha )

Partner rrrADAM

Oct 7, 2001, 8:14 PM
Post #7 of 13 (1317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Partner pianomahnn

Oct 7, 2001, 8:30 PM
Post #8 of 13 (1317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Next time she's climbing, throw a biner at her head.

***this may or may not be good...probably not good.

Partner rrrADAM

Oct 7, 2001, 8:31 PM
Post #9 of 13 (1317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rck_climber

Oct 7, 2001, 8:53 PM
Post #10 of 13 (1317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Quote: Next time she's climbing, throw a biner at her head.

***this may or may not be good...probably not good.

I'm going with the latter .

Purple monkey! See Adam, you're not THAT bad !

compclimber

Oct 7, 2001, 9:00 PM
Post #11 of 13 (1317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I totally agree with Beerandblood and Rck_climber's first post.

fiend

Oct 7, 2001, 9:53 PM
Post #12 of 13 (1317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Woah, this is crazy! I just finished watching the Karate Kid II !

You have to be like Mr. Miyagi.
See, Sato, who held a long-standing grudge against Mr. Miyagi, wanted to fight Mr. Miyagi but Miyagisan was too wise in the ways of the shinto karate master and knew that the best weapon was avoidance. Mr. Miyagi gave him the cold shoulder and wouldn't fight Sato, but then Sato's nephew destroyed Miyagi's family dojo and house and lured Danielsan into a fight. Needless to say, Danielsan won the day!
"Live or Die?"
"Die!"
"Wrong answer!" *honk*

So there you have it, the easy answer: Next time she gets all up in yo face just grab her nose and honk it with ultimate invincible crane style.

Anyone not understand now?

climberchk

Oct 7, 2001, 10:27 PM
Post #13 of 13 (1317 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm going with the way of the purple monkey. That means say stuff like "wow that was a god climb" and "You did it really fast" Be totally humble about it. Because its not what other people think about you, its what you KNOW about yourself. You know you did it faster than her(I do too) Keep climb'n and don't let people like her get to ya.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$53.96 (10% off)
$147.55 (10% off)
$12.56 (10% off)
$24.26 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook