Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
What do you think of bouldering at Cochise Stronghold???
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

sidepull

Nov 6, 2007, 8:19 AM
Post #1 of 3 (945 views)
Shortcut

What do you think of bouldering at Cochise Stronghold???  (North_America: United_States: Arizona: Southern: Cochise_Stronghold)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've never been to cochise but I'm interested both because of its historical relevance but also because I've generally heard good things.

I realize there's some information on the web (e.g. the ubiquitous http://www.drtopo.com/...ebooks/usa/Arizona/6 - note the description of "plenty of boulderings"), but I'm wondering what others think of the bouldering there.

What are the problems like (tall, butt draggers, dynamic, technical)?
How is the rock featured (pockets, crimps, huecos)?
How far is it from Tucson?
Do you need a 4x4?
Is it too cold?
etc.

Thanks for any help.Wink

sidepull

Nov 6, 2007, 11:57 AM
Post #2 of 3 (929 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] What do you think of bouldering at Cochise Stronghold??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bump

aerili

Nov 6, 2007, 12:17 PM
Post #3 of 3 (925 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] What do you think of bouldering at Cochise Stronghold??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never bouldered in Cochise (or seen anyone doing it), but based on the topo, I would assume it's on the east side of Cochise. That means a developed campground (if you want one) and a very easy drive in (compared to the west side). No 4x4 or high clearance required for east side.

It shouldn't be too cold as long as you are good for cold nights. I've climbed in Cochise every month of winter.

Never checked out the boulders too closely, but the quality of the rock is usually frictiony and either slabby, or if vertical, probably crystally crimpers or slopers. Some of the domes have chickenheads and plate features on vertical sections, but like I said, never checked out the boulders too closely except that they look hard climbing to me. Wink

Cochise is also very beautiful, esp. if you hike back up into the actual domes.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook