Premier Sponsor:

roflcakes

Nov 11, 2007, 5:42 AM
Post #1 of 15 (1910 views)
Shortcut

"INTO THE WILD"
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, so, why would they waste a story on a dork who goes out into the wild and gets fucked over. I mean seriously, they should change the name of the movie to "Hippies Dont Survive Alaska"

bent_gate

Nov 11, 2007, 6:02 AM
Post #2 of 15 (1907 views)
Shortcut

Re: [roflcakes] "INTO THE WILD" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There was this thread on this, about a month ago:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...post=1684462#1684462

My question in there was if anyone who climbs, or does activities where they train, plan and prepare have any interest in the story of someone who doesn't. I simply didn't have any interest, and figured that anyone else on the site wouldn't be that interested either.

There were many more Candless worshipers than I expected.

And some people prefer movies like 'Vertical Limit'. They aren't interested in a story where people learn through traditional methods, train and work hard, and then go have a hard adventure and return successfully. To some, there is nothing to worship about that.

petsfed

Nov 12, 2007, 4:03 AM
Post #3 of 15 (1884 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

roflcakes wrote:
Yeah, so, why would they waste a story on a dork who goes out into the wild and gets fucked over. I mean seriously, they should change the name of the movie to "Hippies Dont Survive Alaska"

If you thought that was the point of exploring McCandless's death (and life), then you really missed the point.

Think, in the future, about how arrogance and bitterness can blind you to reality, for instance. I found that the film depicts an upsetting level of inevitability to what eventually happens. The soundtrack is spectacular though.

roflcakes

Nov 12, 2007, 8:01 PM
Post #4 of 15 (1840 views)
Shortcut

Re: [petsfed] "INTO THE WILD" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you can do that, through a story that is worth it, like one about life, hmm, you have great insight though, I hope to attatin the level of zen you have. LOL

themadmilkman

Nov 12, 2007, 8:11 PM
Post #5 of 15 (1837 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

roflcakes wrote:
you can do that, through a story that is worth it, like one about life, hmm, you have great insight though, I hope to attatin the level of zen you have. LOL

it is a story about life. It's the story of a person who chose to live his life exactly how he believed life should be lived. Did it get him killed? Yes. Do you think that because he died it wasn't a life worth living? I'm in no position to say. Are you?

petsfed

Nov 12, 2007, 10:18 PM
Post #6 of 15 (1823 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

roflcakes wrote:

Now I understand why you didn't get anything out of the movie, or book.

See, McCandless was unable to cope with his problems in a mainstream fashion (and really, at all) and so instead he convinced himself that his way was so right that when his way fell through, it killed him. He was obsessed, he was arrogant, he was profoundly inexperienced and his life serves, if nothing else, as a warning to us to not fall into the same traps that he did, by luck and selective deafness.

coastal_climber

Nov 12, 2007, 11:55 PM
Post #7 of 15 (1807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
he was profoundly inexperienced and his life serves, if nothing else, as a warning to us to not fall into the same traps that he did, by luck and selective deafness.

Good call. In the book, it says he actually shot a caribou and thought it was a moose. Goes to show.

>Cam

themadmilkman

Nov 13, 2007, 2:02 AM
Post #8 of 15 (1801 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coastal_climber] "INTO THE WILD" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

coastal_climber wrote:
petsfed wrote:
he was profoundly inexperienced and his life serves, if nothing else, as a warning to us to not fall into the same traps that he did, by luck and selective deafness.

Good call. In the book, it says he actually shot a caribou and thought it was a moose. Goes to show.

>Cam

Go read it again. Krakauer states that he personally investigated the bones, and that it was in fact a moose.

stymingersfink

Nov 13, 2007, 2:55 AM
Post #9 of 15 (1790 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

petsfed wrote:
See, McCandless was unable to cope with his problems in a mainstream fashion (and really, at all) and so instead he convinced himself that his way was so right that when his way fell through, it killed him. He was obsessed, he was arrogant, he was profoundly inexperienced and his life serves, if nothing else, as a warning to us to not fall into the same traps that he did, by luck and selective deafness.
The hell of it was, by the time he realized that he had achieved what it was that he set out to achieve, his path of return was then obscured.

It's been years since I've read the book, but IIRC, Jon also talked of the the other sides of the statistics... numbers of people who had done things which may have inspired Chris to follow the path he had (by virtue of experiencing and sharing an account of that experience with others), as well as the numbers of people who had experienced an ending similar to Chris's without ever being found.

geogoddess

Nov 13, 2007, 3:10 AM
Post #10 of 15 (1782 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

roflcakes wrote:

Did you read TC Boyles "Drop City?"

now THERE's a hippies vs Alaska book!

I liked Krakauer's book and how he unravelled what happened to McCandless. I also thought that Emile Hirsch and Sean Penn made a really good movie, albeit a little heavy on the dysfunctional family being McCandless' primary motivation for bailing on mainstream society. Hirsch totally went the mile to film that role.

Individuals who reject society and then disappear, wanderlust, these things jsut irritate some people, and make others uncomfortably itchy. What about Amelia Earhart? She was prepared; and she still disappeared. Everett Ruess disappeared into the Utah deserts, leaving his jackasses and journal and woodcuts behind.

So McCandless was idealistic and hypocritical, dangerously unprepared, and got in waaaay too deep. But watch any young adult wrestling with idealism, angst and a strong need for freedom. I found the story compelling, worthy of the telling, and I have no need to stand in judgement about him.

bent_gate

Nov 13, 2007, 12:37 PM
Post #11 of 15 (1749 views)
Shortcut

Re: [geogoddess] "INTO THE WILD" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

geogoddess wrote:
But watch any young adult wrestling with idealism, angst and a strong need for freedom. I found the story compelling, worthy of the telling, and I have no need to stand in judgement about him.

Sounds like Dawson's Creek Wink

Partner bill

Nov 13, 2007, 3:54 PM
Post #12 of 15 (1726 views)
Shortcut

Re: [geogoddess] "INTO THE WILD" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I also thought that Emile Hirsch and Sean Penn made a really good movie, albeit a little heavy on the dysfunctional family being McCandless' primary motivation for bailing on mainstream society.

I'm glad someone else noticed this, I really enjoyed the film but also thought that in comparison to the book the film went way overboard on the family issues.

(This post was edited by bill on Nov 13, 2007, 3:55 PM)

justroberto

Nov 13, 2007, 7:52 PM
Post #13 of 15 (1698 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill] "INTO THE WILD" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bill wrote:
In reply to:
I also thought that Emile Hirsch and Sean Penn made a really good movie, albeit a little heavy on the dysfunctional family being McCandless' primary motivation for bailing on mainstream society.

I'm glad someone else noticed this, I really enjoyed the film but also thought that in comparison to the book the film went way overboard on the family issues.
This was my only real beef with the movie, too. Krakauer was interested in peeling back the layers of McCandless to figure out why he did it, but was good about not casting judgements or laying blame without really knowing what was going on.

The movie dumbed it down by heavily blaming the parents and McCandless' inability to cope with the dysfunction. It got to be somewhat obnoxious and then a little shocking when the closing credits thanked the parents and sister...

coastal_climber

Nov 14, 2007, 3:46 AM
Post #14 of 15 (1659 views)
Shortcut

Re: [themadmilkman] "INTO THE WILD" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

themadmilkman wrote:
coastal_climber wrote:
petsfed wrote:

>Cam

Go read it again. Krakauer states that he personally investigated the bones, and that it was in fact a moose.

How soon after?

>Cam

geogoddess

Nov 14, 2007, 6:17 PM
Post #15 of 15 (1624 views)
Shortcut

Re: [justroberto] "INTO THE WILD" [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

justroberto wrote:
bill wrote:
In reply to:

This was my only real beef with the movie, too. Krakauer was interested in peeling back the layers of McCandless to figure out why he did it, but was good about not casting judgements or laying blame without really knowing what was going on.

The movie dumbed it down by heavily blaming the parents and McCandless' inability to cope with the dysfunction. It got to be somewhat obnoxious and then a little shocking when the closing credits thanked the parents and sister...
I read a couple of articles before the movie came out, and I think his family was acknowledged because there were rights on the story and Sean Penn spent years trying to get those rights, attempting to convince Chris' parents to allow him to film this story THIS WAY. Penn interviewed the parents quite a bit and you know what, I respect them so much for allowing themselves to be portrayed- exposed, even- as they were in that film. That takes some inner work & guts doesn't it? Maybe this was a way of coming to terms with their regret & exorcising a sense of responsibiilty (or guilt) they carried over losing Chris. Which I can only imagine, must have been pretty painful for them.

That angle- that's not Krauker's angle; that's Sean Penn's angle, based on his interviews; he gets to tell that part of the story his way; its his film.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook