Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Partner dondiego

Oct 14, 2002, 3:27 AM
Post #1 of 164 (13147 views)
Shortcut

Rumney, The Antics and Horseplay
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Just wanted to scoop Jules on the trip report. Rumney was great. I finally have a few faces to go with names. Big thanks to Jules and Jan for their work in putting this thing together, and Diane and Grant for the hospitality. Hope that we can all meet again someday soon. Maybe this time it won't rain as much. For the record, my toes stayed a great color of natural. Will write more when I get back to NC.

-D D-

vaness

Oct 14, 2002, 4:14 PM
Post #2 of 164 (13147 views)
Shortcut

Rumney, The Antics and Horseplay [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i agree
and i wanted to thank a few people too. even though i was only there for a day thanks juls parents for letting me hang out at your place for that day. thanks karen for the doghnut(it was really good) and the ride to rumney and back. thanks corey for the belay. and thanks whoever else belayed me,sorry i cant remember. thanks to the kid who gave me the gatorade. thank you everyone for letting me use your ropes and lew(i think thats your name) for letting me and juls use your quickdraws. im glad i met all of you guys thanks for making my first trip to rumney great. i hope to see you all sometime soon.
Vanessa
THANK YOU GUYS!!!

oh yeah my toes are staying blue for a long time

[ This Message was edited by: vaness on 2002-10-14 09:22 ]

Partner rrrADAM

Oct 14, 2002, 4:41 PM
Post #3 of 164 (13147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had to work when you all were having fun.

Did you guys get to meet "bunny bunny", Karen's (my wife) traveling companion ???

And were there enough stickers to go around ???

tcollins

Oct 14, 2002, 4:44 PM
Post #4 of 164 (13147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Didn't get to meet the bunny. Maybe she was keeping him out of the rain. Stickers? Maybe the bunny stole them. Did get to hang out with Karen though, very nice, cool person. Sorry you couldn't make it Adam, next time I hope.

[ This Message was edited by: tcollins on 2002-10-14 09:46 ]

vaness

Oct 14, 2002, 4:52 PM
Post #5 of 164 (13147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i met the bunny...heh i sat with it in the car.
i think i got theere to late to get a sticker though.

i.karen
Deleted

Oct 14, 2002, 10:12 PM
Post #6 of 164 (13147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a BLAST!!!!!

My Highlite of the trip was

Being tied by a rope to about 15 people and shopping at the grocery store!!!!

Favoriate Quote

"Sooooooooo, do you play paint ball"

Thank you Jules, Mom and Grant for letting all these strange climbers stay at your house and all the great food.

Jan, thank you for climbing with me and letting all of us come over for dinner. Sorry, about the smell in your house. Imagine 25 or more climbers all with smelly feet!!! Gross!!!!(at least mine weren't the only one's that reaked)

I got to see old friends and met new friends.

The stickers Adam gave me went really fast!! Sorry

I will write more later

lostangel

Oct 14, 2002, 10:45 PM
Post #7 of 164 (13147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a Blast!! it was my first rc.com gathering and it was nice to meet people I never talked to before, only talked to online, or meet again w/peeps I already met (lew and grant)

I went to bed early and for got to say goodbye to some people like karen grant and climberchick sorry about that!!

Thank you to so many people like, karen don julie corey chris ect ect for being so nice!! and Jess for the squeeky pig!!!! haha it made my morning!! if anyone is ever in the State college area let me know!! i got room a car and a mom that cooks!! so Iwill hook you up!

Oh one last thing, the highlight of my trip was lunch onsunday... for the people who were there "bbbruhhhhhh" ( any idea on how that is spelled?) I dont think I laughed that hard in a very looong time

Thanks again!

Edit: T & Rob hope you made it home ok luv ya both!!! yall were a riot!

[ This Message was edited by: lostangel on 2002-10-16 04:19 ]

foograbbinstone

Oct 14, 2002, 11:03 PM
Post #8 of 164 (13147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

waaaaasabi

How is everyone!!!!!!!!
Just alittle update............Amber made her flight with seconds to spare... thank god for good Kharma!!!!

Had a Great time at Rumney.....everyone was so cool.....and laid back it was inspiring.

Jan who let some of us stay at his place for the weekend.........dude your the man ....... had a sweet time....and for setting this up with Jules and showing us Cannon( lil side trip)lolool with our canadian brothers!!!!!!

Diane and Grant thank you for dinner yesterday and the hospitality( and the WT thnx Grant it hit the spot!!!

your right Karen the supermarket was Hilarious...........TAKE!!!!!!!!

To everyone I met from all over Thank you!!!!!! I wont even try and post everyone's username in fear of missing someone .... But I had a great time......and made alot of friends and can't waite till the next gathering
Mike

jhwnewengland

Oct 14, 2002, 11:05 PM
Post #9 of 164 (13147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, what a great trip! Even though the weather didn't cooperate, I got some good climbing in, and most importantly I got to meet so many wonderful people! My highlights of the trip (in chronological order):

• Climbing with Karen, who is AWESOME! (not to mention a great climber).
• Partying Friday night with Mike (foograbbinstone), Mark (marbrown), Teradon (tcollins), Jeff (jumaringjeff), Sean and Jovan.
• Taking pictures of Dianna (lostangel) and Jules leading Clip a Dee Doo Da on Saturday.
• Belaying Jules (age 14) on Lonesome Dove (10a) and Steve (age 17) on Underdog (10a).
• Grant's "Bubba" on Saturday night.
• Bailing off of Whitney-G with Mike and Mark during the Sunday storm!
• Cheesecake, pumpkin pie and slack-lining (or not) with Alan (handjammer48) and Joe at the Conley's place.
• Eating breakfast, prepared by the three amigos from Canadia and the Bostonian, Monday morning.

And, of course, meeting all of you great peeps and putting faces to names! Thank you all for coming, and you're welcome back anytime.

Jan

[ This Message was edited by: jhwnewengland on 2002-10-14 20:20 ]

jhwnewengland

Oct 14, 2002, 11:08 PM
Post #10 of 164 (13147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh yeah, I got a sticker Adam, it went on my car immediately!

vaness

Oct 15, 2002, 12:28 AM
Post #11 of 164 (13147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i havea few more things
i forgot to say sorry to everyone i couldnt say bye to. my grampa came and ihad to go right them and not everyone was back. sorry to you guys.
and if anyone got pictures of my on the climb we were at sunday. the 5.10something
that karen juls some other people were at, could you please post them on thesightif you can. i would like to see them.
thanks
vanessa

orangekyak

Oct 15, 2002, 12:35 AM
Post #12 of 164 (13147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I was the latecomer to The Gathering, and I have to say I had a great time. Arrived Sunday evening to find Jan's house deserted. Finally folks arrived complaining of full bellies (lobstah) and rain.

Met some cool cats from the Commonwealth (of Massachusetts) and Canadia (sic). Ate more breakfast than my unemployed arse could afford courtesy the Canadians, then enjoyed one of the best weather-days of climbing in a while. Kinda cool in the shade, so I headed up to Jimmy Cliff to hit The Junco and Lonesome Dove. And of course I had to cross Clipidy off my list too (girlfriend led it, woo hoo. Someday I'll get her on Lonesome too ...).

Caught up with the Canadians in the parkin lot on the way out ... poor bastids had to drive 10 hours just to get to work on time tomorrow ... ah to be unemployed ...

Wish I had met some more of you, but I'm glad I missed the rain ... All in all, it was a good trip.

Can't wait to be the traveller sometime at a RC.com gathering sometime. Do I hear Gunks? Seneca? The Red?

By the way, what's this about stickers??? Any extras floatin around?

Thanks to Jan for the place to be a dirtbag.

Jeremy

i.karen
Deleted

Oct 15, 2002, 12:36 AM
Post #13 of 164 (13147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

He is really bumbed he missed the Gathering!!

Partner jules

Oct 15, 2002, 12:42 AM
Post #14 of 164 (13147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dom and I sit here sorting through my photos as I type this... I'll post 'em up later, plus all my inane ramblings about the weekend.

Sssoooo.... Karen... do you play paintball?

i.karen
Deleted

Oct 15, 2002, 1:09 AM
Post #15 of 164 (13147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was just telling Adam the story about the weird looking ROCK that flew by me!!!

The more I tell him the more bumbed he gets. Finally I got to go somewhere he didn't.

Partner jules

Oct 15, 2002, 2:07 AM
Post #16 of 164 (13147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmmm... I guess I'll start from the beginning... (of course I could start at the end and work backwards... but that'd just confuse me)

Mom, Dom and I arrived at Rumney around 4:00pm on Friday, and met up with Karen, Corey, and Jan at the Meadows. We were soon joined by the Diegos and rottenice, and then Lew, T, Robert, Dianna, and Attack Dog. A bunch of us went up Rhinobucket (5.10a) and some 5.9 over to the left a bit. (Aren't I descriptive??)
We headed out around 6:30, because we suddenly couldn't see two feet in front of our faces anymore-- doesn't make for great climbing.

Friday night we were joined by quite a few people (I can't remember who all arrived Friday anymore. It was a whole, what, three days ago?)
We convinced Dom to set up the slackline, and messed around on that for a while, while everyone else played Bop-it around the fire.
Dom and Lew left around 9 to go get Amber at the airport, and didn't return until 2am (what the hell were they doing? I think they went to a bar, or something...)

Fawkes showed up at one point with her boi, Damien, and friend Sideshow Bob. Sideshow, Karen, my brother Nate, his *cough* entirely sober *cough* friend Andrew and I attempted to avoid both sleep and the rain for entirely too long. Andrew decided to try out his best new pickup line on me and Karen at one point, during the middle of a completely unrelated conversation--

"Ssssoooooo.... do you guys play paintball?"

Laughter and ridicule ensued.

Mark, Kris and co (Mom, mom's friend Susan, and her son Steve (aka passengerboy)) showed up around 4am, and oddly enough, many of us were up to greet them. We shuffled beds/cots/floorspace/dark corners, and I somehow ended up losing my couch to Dom and slept on the floor, in a dark corner behind a bunch of stuff.

Eventually we all ended up asleep (except Kris, who was apparently up all night... needless to say he slept late the next morning...)

Saturday we all were up by the crack of noon. Lew established the V2 Deck Problem, and we were all hanging off of that for a while. (It had a very, very nice topout and walkoff.)

Gerry decided to have a go on the unrated dock problem... that stopped abruptly when everyone realized exactly how cold the water was. (And, for the record, I _did_ go swimming.) I ended up with quite the nice bruisescrapething on my arm from the dock problem, as well as a muddy butt.

We finally got off to Rumney, and all sort of scattered. I think we did much more hiking than climbing... loads and loads of fun. (I think my thigh muscles are still burning...)

Before hitting Jan's house on Saturday night, we decided to go to the grocery store to pick up some food, since no one seemed to have brought any. Someone (Mark?) had the ingenius (though entirely unserious) idea of all tying in to a rope and going through Hannaford's that way. Karen, Dom, Gerry and I decided to implement the idea, and managed to convince 16 people to go along with it. (pictures to follow)
So off we went into the grocery store, weaving through the aisles and passing everything backwards to the shopping cart tied to the end of the rope. I somehow ended up as the belayer... I dunno how smart that was, since any one other person weighed more than I do, never mind 15 other people. We had some gutsy free-soloists wandering around the store alone... we got a few of them tied safely to the rope, but some did the whole thing by themselves. (What courage!)

After the store opened up a checkout line especially for us, we paid for our goodies and wandered back out to the parking lot, where I kicked T's ass ( )and tackled Lew. We then found our way to Jan's for a night of food, bumper pool and cold ones (twos? threes? seventeens?).

Sunday we all overslept, or tried to at least-- Grant decided to wake everyone up with a 5-gallon pot and its lid... what a nice wakeup call. A few people managed to sleep through it, but they were woken up soon enough. Someone made eggs and bacon and the like, and we ate our fill before heading off to the crags for our last day together.

First we hit the Parking Lot Wall, where we got on a 5.6 and a 5.7 (both Dianna and I got to lead!! )

Karen, Dom, Vanessa, TD and co, Sideshow, and some people neither Dom nor I can remember at the moment headed off to the Main Cliff. We were greeted with rain, and lots of it. Somehow I ended up sleeping in a trashbag, and we had quite the experience, involving bears, honey, tuna, pears, gigantic tidal waves and nudity-- it'll be up to Sideshow to tell you about that one.

We finally had enough and went back home, only to find that everyone else had reached that conclusion already. We warmed up in the nice heat, and I took a long, hot, well-deserved shower.

Everyone (with the exception of a few who were at Jan's) came to hang out with me and eat lots of food that Dad had prepared while we were out drowning and freezing and eating Boston Cream donuts while concocting Grant-worthy tales of our day. Susan went out and got the lobsters for everyone, and soon we were all pigging out on various foods.

After eating, Kris, Sideshow and Steven ended up entertaining my little sister, Corinne (she's upstairs with a nice game of Trivial Pursuit.
When the conversation downstairs started taking a turn towards politics, Dom, Mark and I joined them for trivia, Smarties and Chex Mix.

After we had more trivia than we could handle, I had the great idea of pelting Kris in the face with food and small pieces of plastic (while yelling "LIGHTNING BOLT!", of course). The point of it was supposedly to get the food in his open mouth, but I don't think we got more than two or three pieces of Chex Mix or candy in there... at least not from any distance. Several of us ended up with Smarties in our shirts, lungs, and noses. We all drifted off to sleep by 3am or so. (I actually had a mattress to sleep on... Sideshow got to sleep in my corner.)

A bunch of people left before I woke up (you guys should've woken us up... I wanted to say goodbye!)

Dom, Grant, Amber and I headed off to the Meadows for one last day of climbing... most people were gone by now, which figured, since the weather was halfway decent (I was freezing to death.) I probably got more climbing in today than any of the other days. I got to lead Rhinobucket (or most of it... because I suck ) and watch Grant lead a few trad routes (pronounced ROOTS.)

We lost Amber to the airport before too long, and Dom, Grant and I headed off to a little diner to eat before Grant went his way and we went ours. We sat in the booth for much longer than we should have, talking about climbing and dreaming up the next Rumney gathering (it'll be an annual event, I think.)

If you ever go to the diner in Rumney, look for the entry in the guestbook from "JULIANA, SAURON, AND DARKSIDE".

¡VIVA! (la rockclimbing)

I also made a nice little sketch of a dude climbing our entry.

And then that brings us to the present... kudos to Dom for sitting through my long and drawn-out composition of this thing. I think he deserves a round of applause.

*claps*

Partner sauron

Oct 15, 2002, 2:33 AM
Post #17 of 164 (13147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

- d.

massbayclimber

Oct 15, 2002, 2:46 AM
Post #18 of 164 (13147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think I speak for the entire community. Pictures please. It sounds like you guys had SOOOO much fun.

Partner missedyno

Oct 15, 2002, 4:18 AM
Post #19 of 164 (13147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fawkes checking in.

12 hours in the truck, and yes i had an amazing time this week.

though i didn't mention it, i'm covered pretty much head to toe in a rash. hives or something equally annoying. can't concentrate on typing, it was bad enough to sit for 12 hours trying to ignore it!

arrrrrrrrrrgh. will write more when i soak in calamine lotion. maybe i'm allergic to americans...

jumaringjeff

Oct 15, 2002, 12:53 PM
Post #20 of 164 (13147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey everyone,

I had a totally groovy time over the weekend, even if I was totally hung-over half the time

I hope to see you all again soon, and I know I will, because we all keep in touch on the bestest website in the world!!

Take care and climb safe everyone,
jeff

Partner missedyno

Oct 15, 2002, 1:52 PM
Post #21 of 164 (13147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

okay okay the rash has subsided.

we had an incredible time in rumney!!! you're so lucky to live in such a beautiful corner of the world.

in an attempt to make our trip longer, we took the scenic route through the Adirondacks. beauty again! a full 12 hour trip and we got sideshow (nickyo) in safe n sound.

glad to meet you for those i met, and sorry i missed you to the others. didn't make it to jan's gathering on saturday, i also (incorrectly) assumed the same people would be present at jules the next evening. oops!!!

damian had a great time as well, we're both looking forward to many more trips to rumney.

wanna go back....

thanks again to jules parentals, grant and diane, for the extreme hospitality

(extreme as in extreme bop it which i will never touch!!!)

jhwnewengland

Oct 15, 2002, 2:10 PM
Post #22 of 164 (13147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't get the references to people from my place not making it to Jules' house Sunday night... I was there, as was handjammer48, his son in law Joe, marbrown, his two friends Jovan and Sean, and foograbbinstone. The only ones who weren't there were tcollins and jumaringjeff, because they had to head home, and orangekyak and Amanda, because they didn't get there until Sunday night. So, we were there! Stop saying we weren't!

Partner missedyno

Oct 15, 2002, 2:40 PM
Post #23 of 164 (13147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you were there, you were there! i met ya
geeeeez
i mean *everybody* wasn't there. as in, i missed a few people as in those that you just mentioned.... i'll see 'im next time

tcollins

Oct 15, 2002, 2:43 PM
Post #24 of 164 (13147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ahh we were missed. Sorry I missed you too fawkes. I was actually wondering if you had made it down.

Ok my big post will follow, I'm almost done recounting sat.

Partner missedyno

Oct 15, 2002, 3:28 PM
Post #25 of 164 (13147 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

as you can imagine, sideshow's a good road trip partner

fawkes: where's my jacket??? i can't find my jacket!!!
bob: you're wearing it

ah the bonding that comes from 12 hours in a truck together....

we had great tailgate parties and gourmet tuna sandwhiches on the way back!!!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook