Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

texasclimber

Nov 15, 2007, 9:39 PM
Post #1 of 9 (5384 views)
Shortcut

...  (North_America: United_States: Utah: Salt_Lake_-_Utah_Counties: American_Fork_Canyon)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

(This post was edited by texasclimber on Nov 16, 2007, 3:56 PM)

gunkiemike

Nov 15, 2007, 10:06 PM
Post #2 of 9 (5344 views)
Shortcut

Re: [texasclimber] Anyone with a drill have a route they want to put up in AF? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Scary.

xtremst80

Nov 15, 2007, 10:48 PM
Post #3 of 9 (5312 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunkiemike] Anyone with a drill have a route they want to put up in AF? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gunkiemike wrote:
Scary.

I second that!

texasclimber

Nov 15, 2007, 10:48 PM
Post #4 of 9 (5311 views)
Shortcut

... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

texasclimber

Nov 15, 2007, 11:14 PM
Post #5 of 9 (5291 views)
Shortcut

... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gunkiemike

Nov 16, 2007, 1:54 AM
Post #6 of 9 (5252 views)
Shortcut

Re: [texasclimber] Anyone with a drill have a route they want to put up in AF? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

texasclimber wrote:
How do you think routes get put up?

I'll tell you how *I* think they go up. First someone has an idea or a vision of a new line. They get determined to work out how it can be climbed. Then decisions are made about whether it has adequate gear. Only if bolts are considered necessary are hardware and drilling details considered. It seems to me you have the whole thing exactly backwards. "I have some hardware; where can I install it?" That's what I find scary. It sounds *to me* like the sort of attitude that underlies gratuitous overbolting and local ethics noncomformities that lead to bolt wars and access problems.

Now, you just might be the oracle of the local crag, in which case you have a good sense of how the game is played and are in the best position to make decisions re. crag development. I don't know, maybe you are. But it sure didn't come across like that.

"I have hardware; where can I install it?" Maybe sell it on EBay.

moose_droppings

Nov 16, 2007, 2:52 AM
Post #7 of 9 (5219 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

texasclimber wrote:
I have the bolts/hangers and I want to put something up before Winter. I have established a couple routes before, but I used a buddy's hammer drill. If you have one, lets put up a route! I have an area in mond, but am one to suggestions.

Scary,
I'll third that.

In reply to:
I'll tell you how *I* think they go up. First someone has an idea or a vision of a new line. They get determined to work out how it can be climbed. Then decisions are made about whether it has adequate gear. Only if bolts are considered necessary are hardware and drilling details considered. It seems to me you have the whole thing exactly backwards. "I have some hardware; where can I install it?" That's what I find scary. It sounds *to me* like the sort of attitude that underlies gratuitous overbolting and local ethics noncomformities that lead to bolt wars and access problems.

Now, you just might be the oracle of the local crag, in which case you have a good sense of how the game is played and are in the best position to make decisions re. crag development. I don't know, maybe you are. But it sure didn't come across like that.

"I have hardware; where can I install it?" Maybe sell it on EBay.

And I'll second that.

salamanizer

Nov 16, 2007, 3:19 AM
Post #8 of 9 (5201 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

texaxclimber wrote:
What is scary is loser like you that jumps to conclusions have the right to post comments.

texaxclimber wrote:
From the looks of your profile you have been climbing a couple years max and probably top rope with your friends and call that climbing.

Talk about jumping to conclusions.
You shouldn't ASSuME that.

texaxclimber wrote:
How do you think routes get put up? Route setters must be given a special license and a ton of money to buy equipment. What was I thinking?

Well, ya know what I think. If everyone went around with the "Must Develop something" attitude like you (have bolts will travel) then this is exactly what will happen, at best.

(This post was edited by salamanizer on Nov 16, 2007, 3:21 AM)

backclipped

Nov 16, 2007, 3:47 AM
Post #9 of 9 (5178 views)
Shortcut

Re: [salamanizer] Anyone with a drill have a route they want to put up in AF? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As a general rule of thumb I never, under any circumstances, trust the intent of someone from Texas. Is it against the law to bolt bulls down there? There you go Texas...

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook