RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

ratstar

Oct 8, 2001, 3:12 PM
Post #1 of 14 (4392 views)
Shortcut

I may have to have surgery...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

On my knee. I was playing soccer saturday and I ripped some tendons so now I am stuck on the ground for at least a month. I am using my hangboard tons and I can now do 2 pullups with my index finger alone. Has anyone had a blown out knee how did you guys get past it?

kagunkie

Oct 8, 2001, 3:21 PM
Post #2 of 14 (4392 views)
Shortcut

I may have to have surgery... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Be carefull not to blow out your finger or youll be needing surgery on that too!

ratstar

Oct 8, 2001, 3:27 PM
Post #3 of 14 (4392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I didnt even know you could. I had no idea. How do you blow out your finger?

rck_climber

Oct 8, 2001, 4:06 PM
Post #4 of 14 (4392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Man, that blows!!

I tore two ligaments in my knee a few years ago (MCL and FCL) and was lucky to get away without surgery. Did a couple of months of physical therapy (lots of walking in a pool), and rest - although it still gives me problems every now and then.

As for the hangboard - that's great, but take it easy there as well. Will do you no good if you jack a finger waiting for your knee to get better. Hangboards are for just that - hanging and working grips, don't get too crazy.

Good luck,
Mick

ratstar

Oct 8, 2001, 4:31 PM
Post #5 of 14 (4392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am taking it easy I did go see a doc but I have to go back today for an MRI whatever that is. I am taking it easy with the hangboard. I was almost able to do the two pullups before but not quite. Probly my focus on it now. Well guys thanks for the help. I hope I dont have to have surgery cause that puts me out for a year he said. Any more suggestions?

climberchk

Oct 8, 2001, 5:20 PM
Post #6 of 14 (4392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Totally milk it for all its worth. I mean, if you can't climb get your parents to buy ya climbing mag's and videos. Mental healing is just as important as physical.

andy_lemon

Oct 8, 2001, 7:32 PM
Post #7 of 14 (4392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A friend of mine blew out his knee wrestling at Semi-state in highschool. He had to have surgery. A couple of months ago at the police accademy he was attending he blew the same knee out again. He was fine, did all the drills for the remainder of the week and then went to his doctor on the weekend. The doc said it was in bad shape and could keep reblowing itself out, he needed surgery. So he scheduled it for March of 2002! He finished police accademy with a blown out knee! and he is still climbing and working as a state police man! The only restriction he has is he has to wear a knee brace and has to be very careful so he doesn't blow it out again.

docoorah

Oct 8, 2001, 9:24 PM
Post #8 of 14 (4392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm a certified Medical Assistant and former Combat Trauma Hospital Corpsman. I've had my left knee rebuilt 4x since 1995, when I fell 2000 feet in Larissa, Greece while on a training operation.

Your knee has 4 major ligaments (ligaments hold bone to bone, tendons hold muscle to bone) which are prone to injury. The most common injury? Torn Anterior Cruciate ligament (ACL) which is usually part of what is known as the "unhappy triad" injury. This occurs when someone is hit from the front and just laterally, just like a bowling ball hitting the pocket, only it's the front of your knee. This results in a shearing injury to the 2 "central" ligaments which cross inside the joint, the ACL and the Posterior Cruciate Ligament (PCL).

People can live out an entire lifetime with torn ACL or PCL. No real pain to speak of after the initial injury, but a feeling of "instability" and occasional pain when going up and down stairs as the joint shifts without the ligaments to anchor its endpoint.

The other ligaments are the MCL and the LCL, or Medial and Lateral collateral ligaments. The medial is on the inside part of the leg, and the lateral is on the outside part of the leg. These usually are injured when skiing, think of taking a rude carving sweeper and having the edge of your skis plant. Your body goes in a straight line, but your knee does nothing but buckle like the letter L. This is called a VALGUS injury and when the knee turns out (bowlegged) it is called a VARUS injury. These usually cause significant pain and instability.

I am not a doctor. I do not play one on TV. I am not giving any medical advice. I am, however, telling you this:

YOU MUST MUST MUST FOLLOW THE SURGEON/PHYSICAL THERAPIST'S ADVICE TO THE LETTER! Physical rehabilitation is the key to a successful reconctruction.

Hear what I am saying; failure to rehab your knee after surgery will possibly create a condition of bone degeneration and subsequent arthritic joint disease!

Best of luck to you, if you have any other questions, e-mail me at ajulius@ccaltd.com.

rck_climber

Oct 8, 2001, 10:33 PM
Post #9 of 14 (4392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well put doc, excellent summary. What's the fibular collatoral ligament then? They said I tore that and my MCL, did I misunderstand it (most probable)?

An MRI is a "CAT scan" for other parts of the body, as I understand it (jump in doc if I'm wrong). I had one done on my knee and that's when they found the torn ligaments. It's basically an X-ray that sees all the soft tissues (tendons, ligaments, muscles, etc.) in addition to the bones. Not only that, but they'll be able to see it from every conceivable angle. This will tell them exactly what is messed up and how badly so they can develop a course of action to get you back on the rock. It uses an incredibly powerful magnet, so make sure you tell them if you have any pins, shrapnel or metal of any kind in your legs.

Mick

marcsv

Oct 9, 2001, 3:12 AM
Post #10 of 14 (4392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i had a knee injury 8 years ago from playing judo, wasn't my fault though. my sports doc said it was an acl tear took me two whole months to rehab and get back into the comp scene. if you need surgery don't think twice just do it, you'll thank yourself after

[ This Message was edited by: marcsv on 2001-10-08 21:11 ]

docoorah

Oct 9, 2001, 2:02 PM
Post #11 of 14 (4392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mick,

FCL is another name for the Lateral Collateral ligament.

You are pretty close about the MRI. It may not detect small tears of the ligaments, so diagnostic arthroscopy may be needed.

paulc

Oct 9, 2001, 5:25 PM
Post #12 of 14 (4392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Technically speaking a MRI is not a CAT scan for the rest of your body. Anyone not interested in a slightly technical description of the two scans can tune out now.

MRI - Magnetic Resonance Imaging: Basically you need to drink a solution that gets absorbed into your body that is somewhat magnetic. Then you get placed inside a very large magnet, which stimulates the magnetic elements in your body. Depending on the settings used, you get different areas that get stimulated and therefore examined. Scans usually take 0.5 to 1 hour depending on what level of detail is needed and what areas they are looking at. Individual scans take 3 to 15 minutes.

CAT Scan - Computerized Axial Tomography: Basically a large X ray machine, functions by taking an x ray in slices and then piecing them together in a computer. Faster machines can take 30 shots in just a few seconds. When you look at a cat scan you see the relative atomic densities of the materials in your body.

Sorry if no one cares about this. I'm kinda a stickler for getting details right.

Paul

ratstar

Oct 9, 2001, 5:33 PM
Post #13 of 14 (4392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It helped me to know what was going on in my life thanks paulc. I really do appreciate it.

old_school

Oct 18, 2001, 5:15 AM
Post #14 of 14 (4392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my dads specializes in this shit, hes helped people for free with close to the same problem, since hes gone right now, why dont you eamil me at mad_bouldering@hotmail.com, and i can get some good advice and exercises for you, hes worked with climbers before!

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook