RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

aimeerose

Nov 30, 2007, 6:32 PM
Post #1 of 18 (8396 views)
Shortcut

belly button piercing
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am thinking about getting my belly button re-pierced (I had to take it out when I was too pregnant) but I originally got it done before I climbed, so I was wondering if anyone out there had done it and has it been a problem with your harness while it was healing?

shortandsweet

Dec 1, 2007, 9:25 PM
Post #2 of 18 (8322 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aimeerose] belly button piercing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just got mine done last spring and it was a little tricky at times. I have the BD Primrose harness which would catch the bottom of it at first, but I readjusted the harness to sit right over my belly button. It sounds like it would be more painful but it really wasn't. Climbing was never a huge problem, unless I took a big fall. The worst was belaying. If my partner (who is bigger than me) took a fall, the harness might snag a bit and it would hurt. I never had any serious scares that made me worry it would rip out, just discomfort. My suggestion: if you can, or as soon as you can, put in an actual ring instead of the barbell. I have no worries or problems when I put a ring in, whereas it sometimes still snags on the barbell. Hope that helps!

clausti

Dec 2, 2007, 4:13 PM
Post #3 of 18 (8271 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shortandsweet] belly button piercing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A guy on my swim team in high school got a nipple ring that he'd just tape over. It occurs to me, that would work with the initial belly button ring, too- just tape over it when you go climbing, and it wont get dirty and it wont snag. I know with my eyebrow ring, those were the two biggest problems, dirt when it was new and snagging always.

lhwang

Dec 2, 2007, 4:24 PM
Post #4 of 18 (8265 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had no end of problems with my navel piercing when I started climbing. I had a barbell, and had it for many years before I started climbing. The harness seemed to land right where the piercing was, and after about 2 years of chronic infection, I took it out and am so much happier.

For future reference, there are flexible piercings out there that you can wear to keep the hole from closing up.

sportclmbr20

Dec 3, 2007, 4:29 AM
Post #5 of 18 (8213 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lhwang] belly button piercing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i've never had any problems with my belly ring. i just have a barbell. the more dangley ones i have i usually don't wear when i'm climbing because the dangle part would sometimes snag on my harness. but just a plain barbell thats colored or with a stone in it are usually fine. good luck!

stonefoxgirl

Dec 3, 2007, 5:42 PM
Post #6 of 18 (8173 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

no problems -do it.

iamthewallress

Dec 3, 2007, 8:26 PM
Post #7 of 18 (8156 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stonefoxgirl] belly button piercing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If your harness didn't catch on it when it was healed, it won't while it's healing.

pheenixx

Dec 8, 2007, 8:26 AM
Post #8 of 18 (8003 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iamthewallress] belly button piercing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ok-ok - I'll share

Rings take longer to heal than stud-posts but it's worth it if you want that look.

Get 2 sterile cotton balls, place 1 on each side of the ring then place a large decorative bandage over the entire thing and Viola..!

The ring gets supported upright and stabilized when the bandage goes over and the pressure from the harness is mitigated - Climb-on..!

matterunomama

Dec 9, 2007, 10:54 PM
Post #9 of 18 (7944 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stonefoxgirl] belly button piercing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stonefoxgirl wrote:
no problems -do it.

The naval is an extremely biologically dirty place. My advice is don't do it-but I know you won't listen. I can't tell you how many people come to me with infections in their piercing there and want to have it injected/take antibiotics--anything but take out the piercing. IMHO, only.

pheenixx

Dec 16, 2007, 8:39 AM
Post #10 of 18 (7803 views)
Shortcut

Re: [matterunomama] belly button piercing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Truly the most Hi-Maintenence thing I've ever done. Takes longer to heal than any other piercing, and you do have to do 2 things -
1. Keep it clean
2. Sit up straight

One might be harder to do than the other ~

erisspirit

Dec 16, 2007, 7:38 PM
Post #11 of 18 (7758 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pheenixx] belly button piercing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I always had a lot more trouble with an ear cartilage piercing then belly button... As she has had a belly piercing before, I doubt she will have trouble with the cleaning and maintenance part. Its very little extra work to clean your belly button. As for the harness, my harness never touches my belly ring. You would probably be ok with getting one, and if you had issues you could probably cover it up so it doesn't catch on anything.

aimeerose

Jan 10, 2008, 12:09 AM
Post #12 of 18 (7543 views)
Shortcut

Re: [erisspirit] belly button piercing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, second question- am I too old? I'll be 33 this March and now I'm a mom! My hubby seems to think so.

erisspirit

Jan 10, 2008, 12:41 AM
Post #13 of 18 (7541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm of the opinion that it is up to you. If you feel too old then maybe, but if you don't and you want it, then go for it. As you have done before, they can always be removed again Tongue

Rocknovice

Jan 13, 2008, 4:04 AM
Post #14 of 18 (7489 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aimeerose wrote:
Ok, second question- am I too old? I'll be 33 this March and now I'm a mom! My hubby seems to think so.

I don't think you are too old but those seemed to be in style when we were still in out twenties and though I am no expert, I don't see a bunch of women in their thirties still wearing them. I am a mom too and took mine out when I was 21 and am 32 now. If you still would love to have one, go for it.

squierbypetzl

Jan 13, 2008, 5:50 AM
Post #15 of 18 (7484 views)
Shortcut

Re: [matterunomama] belly button piercing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

matterunomama wrote:
[ I can't tell you how many people come to me with infections in their piercing there and want to have it injected/take antibiotics--anything but take out the piercing. IMHO, only.

Fwiw: If any of you get a piercing infected, the recommended course of action is (other than see a health care professional) to leave the piercing IN. Taking the jewelry out and letting the holes close will only succeed in trapping the infection under the skin.

And you donīt want that.

matterunomama

Jan 13, 2008, 3:13 PM
Post #16 of 18 (7475 views)
Shortcut

Re: [squierbypetzl] belly button piercing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

squierbypetzl wrote:
matterunomama wrote:
[ I can't tell you how many people come to me with infections in their piercing there and want to have it injected/take antibiotics--anything but take out the piercing. IMHO, only.

Fwiw: If any of you get a piercing infected, the recommended course of action is (other than see a health care professional) to leave the piercing IN. Taking the jewelry out and letting the holes close will only succeed in trapping the infection under the skin.

And you donīt want that.

That may be what they told you at the piercing place, but its not what they teach in Med school. The irritation and open skin in a dirty area is a constant source of bacterial entry, and your immune system will clear an infection if its not opposed-infection doesn't get 'trapped under the skin'. Otherwise piclking your scabs as hard as you can would work better than putting on antibiotic ointment and leaving them alone!

bahandi

Mar 9, 2008, 9:36 PM
Post #17 of 18 (7097 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

aimeerose wrote:

My girlfriend is 30, she still has one. In fact, when I first met her about 4 years ago, I had no idea her navel was pierced.

If you're getting your navel pierced for yourself, and not to be showing off, I would say go ahead and do it.

Climbin2daTop

Mar 13, 2008, 8:13 PM
Post #18 of 18 (7008 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bahandi] belly button piercing [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

First of all 33 isn't old. I can see if your in your 60's or something. Go ahead and get it pierced. As a matter of fact....it's March....did you get it done yet?

(This post was edited by Climbin2daTop on Mar 13, 2008, 8:14 PM)

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook