Forums: Climbing Partners: US - East Coast:
climbing near reading PA
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - East Coast

Premier Sponsor:

 


kfc6936


Dec 3, 2007, 10:22 AM
Post #1 of 15 (6029 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 7, 2007
Posts: 42

climbing near reading PA
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

besides birdsbrough is there any other places to lead or top rope in the area


xtremst80


Dec 3, 2007, 11:13 AM
Post #2 of 15 (6009 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jul 24, 2006
Posts: 306

Re: [kfc6936] climbing near reading PA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Do a search. This site is a great resource!


fulton


Dec 3, 2007, 11:26 AM
Post #3 of 15 (6006 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 26, 2004
Posts: 210

Re: [kfc6936] climbing near reading PA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Check in this website's Route Database:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/North_America/United_States/Pennsylvania/

I hear through the grape-vine that a number of folks have PA and Regional PA guide books in the works, try to track 'em down...

Another resource is Tim Toula's Rock 'n Road, an encyclopedia of American climbing. I think Toula's book has led most everyone astray at one time or another, but thats really a consequence of trying to squeeze so many different climbing areas into one work. All in all, its a cool book, albeit more of the coffee table variety than that of a pragmatic guide.

http://www.amazon.com/Rock-Road-2nd-American-Climbing/dp/0762723068

As far as world class climbing - You're only about 2 hours from the Gunks in NY.


shockabuku


Dec 3, 2007, 11:36 AM
Post #4 of 15 (5999 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 20, 2006
Posts: 4868

Re: [kfc6936] climbing near reading PA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm originally from Wernersville (though I haven't lived there in a long time) and as far as I can tell - no, there's not. If you find any, let me know, it'll give me something to do when we go home to visit the family.


fulton


Dec 3, 2007, 11:47 AM
Post #5 of 15 (5991 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 26, 2004
Posts: 210

Re: [shockabuku] climbing near reading PA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Leave it to someone from Colorado or California to assume that there isn't climbing in PA or that it must not be very good.

Dude, there is SO much climbing -- within an hour.

I grew up in Harrisburg, and there are at least 2 dozen fun climbing areas within one hour from there. They're not all stellar -- but, the stone in PA tends to be pretty good, I think.


shockabuku


Dec 3, 2007, 11:53 AM
Post #6 of 15 (5980 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 20, 2006
Posts: 4868

Re: [fulton] climbing near reading PA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

fulton wrote:
Leave it to someone from Colorado or California to assume that there isn't climbing in PA or that it must not be very good.

Dude, there is SO much climbing -- within an hour.

I grew up in Harrisburg, and there are at least 2 dozen fun climbing areas within one hour from there. They're not all stellar -- but, the stone in PA tends to be pretty good, I think.

Fulton - I try not to be rude most of the time, though it does come pretty naturally, so let me re-iterate the fact that I'm from Wernersville, which if you pulled out a map you would find is about 10 miles west of Reading. I've lived in Colorado now for, hold on, let me get a calendar, 6 months and 22 days.

Oh, so name the places that meet the OPs criteria. I'd like to know, really.


eddietheteddie


Dec 3, 2007, 12:03 PM
Post #7 of 15 (5972 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Apr 23, 2006
Posts: 53

Re: [kfc6936] climbing near reading PA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Heres a link to the guidebook that Rob Holzman will be putting out later (hopefully sooner) this year

http://www.paclimbing.com/index.htm


fulton


Dec 3, 2007, 12:17 PM
Post #8 of 15 (5962 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Feb 26, 2004
Posts: 210

Re: [shockabuku] climbing near reading PA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'd rather be rude than stupid. You want to get into a semantic debate about what the word "near" means or something?

Go to Safe Harbor, Rocky Ridge (FUCKING ROCKY RIDGE, YOU DON'T THINK THERE IS SPORT CLIMBING THERE OR SOMETHING?) the Elizabethtown pillar, or Sex wall. Then there is Mocenaqua (however you spell it). And thats on the north side of the river, in Cumberland county (one hour from Reading) there are at least 15 climbing areas that meet the criteria.

You know, PA has a reputation for producing hardmen, try not to fuck that up shockabuku.


shockabuku


Dec 3, 2007, 12:24 PM
Post #9 of 15 (5958 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 20, 2006
Posts: 4868

Re: [fulton] climbing near reading PA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

You know, I really wanted to make a nasty response to your post but then I read this:

"I've been climbing since I was 11 years old, so I never developed any social skills"

in your profile so I figured there's really no point.


joeforte


Dec 3, 2007, 1:07 PM
Post #10 of 15 (5928 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 9, 2005
Posts: 1093

Re: [shockabuku] climbing near reading PA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
fulton wrote:
Leave it to someone from Colorado or California to assume that there isn't climbing in PA or that it must not be very good.

Dude, there is SO much climbing -- within an hour.

I grew up in Harrisburg, and there are at least 2 dozen fun climbing areas within one hour from there. They're not all stellar -- but, the stone in PA tends to be pretty good, I think.

Fulton - I try not to be rude most of the time, though it does come pretty naturally, so let me re-iterate the fact that I'm from Wernersville, which if you pulled out a map you would find is about 10 miles west of Reading. I've lived in Colorado now for, hold on, let me get a calendar, 6 months and 22 days.

Oh, so name the places that meet the OPs criteria. I'd like to know, really.

Yeah, there's EASILY over a dozon climbing areas within an hour. But any local PA climbers know better than to post directions to them on the internet for the local gym rats to see.

A BIG PA guidebook is coming out soon. It's been a huge proect for Rob, check out his site at www.paclimbing.com

If you have any specific questions about local spots, send me a PM, and I'll give you some beta to start you off exploring.


atomix1010


Dec 3, 2007, 3:55 PM
Post #11 of 15 (5900 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 13, 2007
Posts: 51

Re: [kfc6936] climbing near reading PA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Try Ralph Stover?


kfc6936


Dec 5, 2007, 10:14 AM
Post #12 of 15 (5844 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Nov 7, 2007
Posts: 42

Re: [fulton] climbing near reading PA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i was looking thought the places you gave me and most seem to be closed according to RC?


dharmatreez


Dec 6, 2007, 7:18 AM
Post #13 of 15 (5809 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Oct 25, 2005
Posts: 228

Re: [kfc6936] climbing near reading PA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

kfc6936 wrote:
i was looking thought the places you gave me and most seem to be closed according to RC?

a public land listing...(not complete)

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...rum.cgi?post=1515799

long happy trails and safe climbing

jae


microbarn


Dec 6, 2007, 7:42 AM
Post #14 of 15 (5799 views)
Shortcut

Registered: May 12, 2004
Posts: 5920

Re: [fulton] climbing near reading PA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

fulton wrote:
You know, PA has a reputation for producing hardmen, try not to fuck that up shockabuku.
*snickers*


wordless_chorus


Dec 6, 2007, 8:11 AM
Post #15 of 15 (5790 views)
Shortcut

Registered: Jan 20, 2006
Posts: 82

Re: [kfc6936] climbing near reading PA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

stoney ridge near palmerton


Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

 


Search for (options)

Log In:

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?



Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook