Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

bcm3u

May 2, 2007, 8:44 PM
Post #176 of 236 (20583 views)
Shortcut

Re: [haydukematt] The NOVA climbers thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone interested in heading to Great Falls this weekend (May 5th or 6th). I'm looking for a partner, and would love to get a small group together. PM me if interested.

sequ0ia

May 29, 2007, 1:51 AM
Post #177 of 236 (20481 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bcm3u] The NOVA climbers thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

New to the area with beg/int climbing experience, looking for a partner. Have lead a 5.8 sport climb, followed a 5.10c. Followed a 5.9 trad climb, but haven't placed gear other than anchors for top-roping. Have done some indoor climbing, but prefer real rock. Enjoy climbing but am not snobby about it. Fresh from Colorado, but don't fell sorry for me - send me a line!

breals

Jun 8, 2007, 4:02 PM
Post #178 of 236 (20433 views)
Shortcut

The NOVA climbers thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i'm looking for somebody to climb with this weekend in theD.C. area: Seneca, Sugarloaf, Rocks MD, etc. I have a rack and lead low moderates; 4's/5's but can follow 7's fine; and an 8 a day is cool too.
Ideally i'm looking for a reg partner to go out with on the weekends, but right now i'm mostly concerned with getting out this weekend. PM me if interested

misarissa

Jul 26, 2007, 3:02 AM
Post #179 of 236 (20284 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cantdog] The NOVA partners thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just moved to the Gaithersburg area and looking to climb...outdoor and indoors when the weather gets colder. I don't have much outdoor experience though following at Rumney last weekend was incredible! Looking for some more experienced climbers to help me get comfortable being outside, as I have climbed mostly in the gym for many years. I have lots of availability too.....

munky

Sep 27, 2007, 1:29 AM
Post #180 of 236 (20146 views)
Shortcut

Re: [misarissa] The NOVA partners thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This NOVA section is lame. I've lived in this area for nearly 3 years and have occasionaly checked this sight for anything worth a damn and have found basically shit. Nobody seems to climb at Great Falls regularly unless you are a highschool kid who is just getting into it and doesn't know about gyms yet. They rule. Hopefully you'll run into one of them and they can teach you a thing or two. Or you are an old fart who has every route wired and "trains" there. Or you are a noob who is having fun outside and will either decide that Great Falls is too hard, after all you climb 2 grades harder in the gym, or have an epiphany and begin climbing there all the time to later progress into sport leading at Franklin, then the NRG, then plugging gear at Seneca, and everywhere else. Or, you're like me and have climbed just about everything there and is already pluggin gear and climbing at a certain level and is looking for a community in this region. WELL, this brings me to my point that I can't seem to find one. Where the hell are the climbers in NOVA. Yea, this might seem like a rant, and yea I"m 5 beers in on a Wed. (workweek) but damn, does NOVA really suck this bad. Shit, we have world class single pitch cracks at Old Rag up two 13.b (damn, fucking hard, who wants to rally up and work it w/ me) and there is great bouldering on toprope at Great Falls if you free your mind from that ridiculous guide book and seek out hard lines. I have one right now that is kicking my ass. I need help solving this one. Who wants to step up. Its harder than the Strain, I know that much. Somebody for god sake post to this pathetic rant.

notapplicable

Sep 28, 2007, 3:33 AM
Post #181 of 236 (20132 views)
Shortcut

Re: [munky] The NOVA partners thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sly

I'm so used to not even checking this tread that I had to do a double take when I saw the date of the last post. Nice rant man. If our redpoint levels were a little closer I would suggest we hit up Old Rag some time but as it is, I think we might bore one another.

Rant on crazy man rant on.

ClimbinBob

Oct 13, 2007, 7:40 PM
Post #182 of 236 (20090 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

CoolMy, but can't we rant and rave. As one of the old farts at G.F., I must see your route that is harder than the strain. Maybe it's the age, but I stilll can't get up D. Greens Flying Machine. My favorite area is Birds Nest; I'll be there sunday, oct 14, so please come and show me how to do the direct start to Fair Square. I always seem to have to cheat and start on Eagles Nest and then traverse over to the arete. I'll sign in on the climbers book as Bob A. (age 51). Look me up; if we get along, we can talk about Seneca, as I'll be there next weekend for the cookoff.

munky

Oct 15, 2007, 1:09 AM
Post #183 of 236 (20065 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ClimbinBob] The NOVA partners thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, someone other than me climbs at GF. Its good to hear from ya. Sorry I missed you this weekend. I've been heading to the New with my girlfriend just about every weekend for the past month or so. I'll be up there the next 2 weekends but maybe we can meet up sometime in November or early December. Its never too cold to climb at GF. Shit, you only have to climb 40-50 feet at most. I love Birds nest area also. Between the highways, Eagle's nest, Fair Square, Face and Flop, its awesome. Next time I get out there Im gonna give plumb line proper a go. Someone told me a few years ago that it doesn't go anymore because of the block that fell out. But last time I was out there I checked it out while TRing on One Lane and I think its possible to link up a sequence through there. Anyways, as you can tell I'm psyched on climbing. And when I can't leave town Im usually there. After all I gotta figure out this line thats shutting me down. Keep in touch.

adamtd

Oct 25, 2007, 4:22 PM
Post #184 of 236 (20005 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Y'all! How's it going. Well it's been almosta year since I've been climbing, except for three days in which I took some newbies out. I've been on a little brake, called working my tail off at work, whiel getting fat and weak. I'm looking at making a comeback so, shoot me an e-mail if you want to get out and send a couple of moderates at GF, 5.7-5.9. I know almost all the routes by heart, but I've been out of touch for a while, so it'll be interesting.

franciscov

Nov 17, 2007, 5:19 AM
Post #185 of 236 (19953 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ropeburn] The NOVA climbers thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hits me up if you want to climb outdoors.

on_belay_hombre

Dec 5, 2007, 4:35 PM
Post #186 of 236 (19904 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I enjoyed that rant...mostly because I too find the postings of the NOVA climbers a little on the slim side. I've been here about a year and I know there are lots of climbers, but I guess everyone has their own little climbing niche already.

As to climbing around here, I'm always up for a climb...That said I have to wait about 8 weeks 'cause I broke my ankle on the bouldering wall last week :(. But I'm healing and will be back on the rocks soon.

Anyone planning on road tripping to the Red Rock Rendezvous??

ClimbinBob

Dec 8, 2007, 12:46 AM
Post #187 of 236 (19890 views)
Shortcut

Re: [on_belay_hombre] The NOVA partners thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

CoolSorry to hear that you broke your ankle, but how in the hell did you do it on a wall (in a gym, I presume)? How hard was the problem-your profile states that you boulder V3. Anyway, get well-give me an e-mail and we'll go to GF. I'll be at ET in Columbia probably on sat. and definitely sunday. Get well soon!

notapplicable

Dec 8, 2007, 4:25 AM
Post #188 of 236 (19887 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You know this maybe the single most neglected thread on this whole site. This thing has been up since 2004 and we are only 8 pages in, terrible lack of solidarity us Virginians have.

on_belay_hombre

Dec 10, 2007, 2:30 PM
Post #189 of 236 (19878 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I thought it was the most common climbing related injury...come off the wall, roll your ankle on the mats. And yes, it was inside, uber-lame, i know.

I was climbing an indoor V3, warming up basically and trying a move that seemed kind of odd. Tried a awkward sideways dynamic move to the next hold and missed and came off the wall in an unexpected direction so my foot went between two of the draggabe gymnastic mats. ~sigh~

Good news is I'm down to one crutch. Lesson learned, watch were you land!

I agree this is a neglected thread. So I feel it is a good mission to try and revive it. Maybe if we throw in a bunch of searchable keywords we can bring wayward, climbing web junkies forth to comment on NOVA. :)

munky

Dec 14, 2007, 5:06 PM
Post #190 of 236 (19852 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok I got it. I'm about to create 2 posts with eye catching titles to lure the unexpected in. The titles are "5.15b FA in Great Falls" and "Open Project at Seneca just Climbed by Sonnie Trotter." Lets see what we get. Inside the post I will explain that obviously these are bullshit and we are trying to find other climbers in the NOVA area who climb outside locally on a regular basis, meaning GF, Carderrock, Ravens Rock, Sugarloaf Mtn, Old Rag, Seneca, and NRG. Hook, Line, and hopefully Sinker.

on_belay_hombre

Dec 14, 2007, 5:15 PM
Post #191 of 236 (19849 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nice.

Reel 'em in!

Considering how many people can be climbing at Sportrock at one time I'm sure there are more out there. I guess the question is how likely they are to give in the the mind-numbing-rock-banter which is...rc.com...hmm

Partner epoch

Dec 14, 2007, 5:16 PM
Post #192 of 236 (19846 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

troll

munky

Dec 14, 2007, 5:24 PM
Post #193 of 236 (19842 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] The NOVA partners thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So, I was in the best shape of my life this fall and sending like a madman. Fresh off a summer in Yosemite I attacked NRG looking to get strong on trad lines. I sent many 5.11 gear routes and even managed to tick my first 5.13 sport route. I got the FA of PVA(potomac Valley Arete) at Great Falls. Head up PVO but instead of using the crimps on the face to get over the roof go out left using the arete and climb up arete. About 3 weeks ago I took a really nasty fall on Portley Gentleman's Route at the New. I'd been working this route all Fall and never top roped it instead trying to be all hardcore and go ground up on every attempt. Well, 3 weeks ago I pushed farther into the unknown nearly sending but just pumped out and froze and took a 15 footer into the arete and bruised the shit out of heel. Been out of commission since. Drinking way too much beer and dreaming of getting back on that thing for redemption. So, that was a glimpse into my season lets hear something.

ClimbinBob

Dec 15, 2007, 1:27 AM
Post #194 of 236 (19822 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

CoolSo is PVA this new route I've been hearing so much about? It sounds like an alternative start to The Strain. I would love to meet you and climb at GF. As earlier posted, I have a helluva time getting up Darius Greens Flying Machine. I've also got a heinous project down at Cow Hoof. I'll be glad to show you if and when we ever meet. I figure it goes at least at 12d. Oh, by the way, have you ever pulled Oyster clean? Now that's one thin climb!!

pierredestcroix

Dec 15, 2007, 2:27 PM
Post #195 of 236 (19808 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No, the east is not Yosemite, but Seneca is pretty damn cool. The 5.10's are real and the roofs are cool. Really want to climb more areas in VA, and definitely want to climb at the Gunks and NRG before I head back to Cali. Just think you'll have a place to crash out West someday and a partner if you need one. I am hunkering down for this thing they call Noreaster now, but I am ready to climb come good weather. pydestcroix@gmail.com
Attachments: Pierre Pleasant Os 3.jpg (57.6 KB)

on_belay_hombre

Dec 18, 2007, 2:49 PM
Post #196 of 236 (19774 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pierredestcroix] The NOVA partners thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I can't believe I havn't tradded in Seneca yet! I hear all this great talk but haven't yet gotten the opportunity to head down there for some multi-pitch goodness...

Once the damn ankle heals I'll be headed to RRG then trying to get in trips to Seneca, NRG and the Gunks. I'd like to get back to the daks too..it's been awhile...

Im intrigued to hear that people are still putting up FA's in GF. I didnt there was anything left to work with, then again I don't frequent that area to avoid the crowds.

lofstromc

Dec 23, 2007, 3:47 AM
Post #197 of 236 (19731 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey all,

I hope people are still watching this thread, because I am looking for a partner or four.
I've had partners off and on in this area, but need more.
I would rather lead routes than TR, hands down; but I am up for TR if thats all there is.
We will have some warm days this winter, so I will be looking to climb soon. Hit me up.

Chris Lofstrom

(This post was edited by lofstromc on Dec 23, 2007, 3:48 AM)

munky

Jan 10, 2008, 12:04 PM
Post #198 of 236 (19636 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't tried Oyster yet. It looks painful. Maybe I'll start working that after I send this line down stream. I suprised myself last week and nearly sent plumb line direct within a few tries. I need to go back and scope out a good upper hold. I don't think its too bad though. Kinda an eliminate I guess. Did you go anywhere over Christmas/New Years? I spent 3 days in NC at Linville Gorge with my friend Gray. Weather was horrible, raining everyday, but we did manage an ascent of the Daddy 5.6 4 pitches. It was kinda like I imagine climbing a waterfall. By pitch 2 I was soaked from head to toe. Great fun nevertheless. I'm still kinda busted from a bad fall Thanksgiving weekend. Hopefully that will heal up soon. I tried to do some leading at the gym and backed off of a potential fall for fear of re-injurying myself. I just want it to snow for a month so I can get out and do some skiing. Of course it the weather continues to stay steady at 70 degrees I won't complain. That will make for a lot of GF days.

blankflag

Jan 22, 2008, 5:19 PM
Post #199 of 236 (19533 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone looking for daytime indoor/outdoor partners? I'm on restaurant time and have my early afternoons free. Prefer Earthtreks to Sportrock but could do either. Let me know if you are free during the day!

BlueDude13

Mar 24, 2008, 8:59 PM
Post #200 of 236 (19277 views)
Shortcut

Re: [blankflag] The NOVA partners thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

New guy here. Close to SportRock and willing to try what ever you have the patience to teach/help with.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - East Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook