Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
climbing in Guatemala?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

miramira

Dec 5, 2007, 11:54 AM
Post #1 of 2 (801 views)
Shortcut

climbing in Guatemala?  (South_and_Central_America: Guatemala: QUETZALTENANGO: Cerro_Quemado)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm going to Guatemala this coming January to visit some friends that don't climb. They don't live to far from Queztaltenango and i was thinking about bringing my climbing shoes. is the weather in January good for climbing there? how hard its it to find a climbing partner? how good is the climbing in Xela really? is anyone planning on making a trip there?

tetons

Dec 5, 2007, 12:24 PM
Post #2 of 2 (791 views)
Shortcut

Re: [miramira] climbing in Guatemala? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

We spent more than a month in Xela (Quetzaltenango) a few years ago, Dec. and Jan. I saw basically no decent rock climbing at all, but we did summit alot of volcanoes, including Tajamulco. Way across town from our side (Parque Central, El Baul, etc.) I could see what looked like an outcropping of basalt-like columns and thought about exploring it, but never did. Kind of a longshot.... The weather was ok for climbing, but then I'm used to the Tetons for winter.
There's a big lake (not Atitlan) on the east side of the country and an adventure travel company in Xela advertised rock climbing there, but we never got close enough to check it out. I'd go for the volcanoes myself. Suerte!

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook