RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

talons05

Oct 16, 2002, 2:27 AM
Post #1 of 6 (1710 views)
Shortcut

Leashless?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What exactly are the benefits of going leashless? Do I need another set of tools to do this, or can I just use any tool...

A.W.

petsfed

Oct 16, 2002, 2:38 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1710 views)
Shortcut

Leashless? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The biggest benefit of leashless is that it allows for a much more free form style. There isn't really a right hand tool and a left hand tool, you can cross over, place pro really easily and so forth. Most ice tools that use leashes don't translate terribly well to leashless. Its like trying to hold onto a narrow sloper and then do pull ups on it. The only exception that I know of is the BD Viper, which just came out, and there is a $10/tool kit to transform it into leashless mode. Doesn't permanently change the tool either.

rockprodigy

Oct 17, 2002, 1:45 PM
Post #3 of 6 (1710 views)
Shortcut

Leashless? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The whole leashless thing is pretty contrived if you ask me. It definitely adds some difficulty and style to "sport" mixed climbing, but that's all it's good for. You'll never see anybody with a brain climb an alpine route leashless. The consequences are too high. If you drop your tool on a difficult alpine route, you may as well have just shot yourself in the head...you're a dead man.

That said, I've watched some good leashless climbers and they are very impressive...it allows a lot more freedom of movement.

stevo

Oct 21, 2002, 11:00 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1710 views)
Shortcut

Leashless? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out this months gripped.
I hate to say it, but Sean Isaac actually wrote a good aritcle and it specifically was on this topic.

pbjosh

Oct 21, 2002, 11:16 PM
Post #5 of 6 (1710 views)
Shortcut

Leashless? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The quark goes leashless pretty well as well. The viper is a pretty dead on knock off of the quark except for the more aggressive bolt on pinky holster..

josh

csoles

Oct 24, 2002, 4:03 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1710 views)
Shortcut

Leashless? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Why telemark when you can lock your heels? You just have to try it (using the dedicated gear) before you can decide what works for you. Go to an ice demo before you buy, unless you have plenty of disposable income.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook