RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

orGanix

Dec 11, 2007, 7:36 PM
Post #1 of 14 (1833 views)
Shortcut

Hi everyone..NOOB here
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

OK, I am a NOOB. I just started climbing a couple months ago and really like it. I just have a couple questions.

Shoes - Is it worth buying a pricey pair? Or do they wear out fast that I should get a cheaper pair while learning still. As for lace-up or velcro, is it more a matter of preference or is there a difference in performance of the two.

Harness - How often do you replace yours? I dont want to buy an expensive one if I am going to just rip it up so to speak while learning and taking a bunch of falls on it. So shold I get one to learn on that is cheaper before I really start using it for outdoor sport and such.

Rope - Do you think I should get my own gym rope? The gym here has one I can use when leading the sport routes but who knows how many people use it and fall on it. Any recommendations on where to get a gym rope? How aobut the short ropes from gear express or something?

Quickdraws - Does the length really matter much for gym climbing? I know for outside some longer ones might help for wandering routes but can I just get away with one size indoors?

Anyone recommend some good books to get me started also?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will be searching the forums while waiting for your replies. Thanks in advance.

Ganix

jgloporto

Dec 11, 2007, 7:43 PM
Post #2 of 14 (1821 views)
Shortcut

Re: [orGanix] Hi everyone..NOOB here [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

orGanix wrote:
OK, I am a NOOB. I just started climbing a couple months ago and really like it. I just have a couple questions.

Shoes - Is it worth buying a pricey pair? Or do they wear out fast that I should get a cheaper pair while learning still. As for lace-up or velcro, is it more a matter of preference or is there a difference in performance of the two.

Harness - How often do you replace yours? I dont want to buy an expensive one if I am going to just rip it up so to speak while learning and taking a bunch of falls on it. So shold I get one to learn on that is cheaper before I really start using it for outdoor sport and such.

Rope - Do you think I should get my own gym rope? The gym here has one I can use when leading the sport routes but who knows how many people use it and fall on it. Any recommendations on where to get a gym rope? How aobut the short ropes from gear express or something?

Quickdraws - Does the length really matter much for gym climbing? I know for outside some longer ones might help for wandering routes but can I just get away with one size indoors?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will be searching the forums while waiting for your replies. Thanks in advance.

Ganix

*C4F PM'd*Mad

Partner epoch

Dec 11, 2007, 7:56 PM
Post #3 of 14 (1785 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You had me until the harness question...

I wish I never read this one.

docjacen

Dec 11, 2007, 8:02 PM
Post #4 of 14 (1773 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Hi everyone..NOOB here [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

do I have to be the nice one this time? *dramatic reno sigh*

organix try doing forum searches for your questions. Notice that they're not sorted by date but by relevance. Find everything you can that way, then report back and let us know what you found. Then, if you have questions that weren't answered, try asking again. The site can seem pretty vicious at first but you'll get used to it.Wink

Good luck.

lena_chita

Dec 11, 2007, 8:16 PM
Post #5 of 14 (1751 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

T2

You forgot to ask whether the gates on the quickdraw biners should face the same way or opposite.

lithiummetalman

Dec 11, 2007, 8:43 PM
Post #6 of 14 (1720 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll bite

Shoes: Something that fits your foot.

Harness: If feeling cheap, use 15ft of webbing for a harness.

Rope: Use the gym's rope.

Quickdraws: length is nornally dependent on the nature of the route, since inside, 12-18cm should suffice.

Bookwise: Self-Coached Climber, (Rock Warriors Way?), Freedom to the Hills.

scotchie

Dec 11, 2007, 8:53 PM
Post #7 of 14 (1707 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Welcome to the sport. Oh, I mean STFU Noob. :-)

In reply to:
Shoes - Is it worth buying a pricey pair? Or do they wear out fast that I should get a cheaper pair while learning still.

Get whatever fits well, not several sizes to small. Comfort is more important than performance in the beginning stage. It'll keep you climbing and enjoying the sport!

In reply to:
As for lace-up or velcro, is it more a matter of preference or is there a difference in performance of the two.

Laces allow you to get a more dialed-in fit since they comform the shoe to the shape of your foot better. But velcro is a lot faster to put on. You make the call.

In reply to:

You don't have to worry about "ripping up" your harness with falls, unless you take a >FF1 fall (which isn't going to happen if you stick to single-pitch sport and the climbing gym).

There isn't really a specific rule for harness replacement. I'm pretty much your typical weekend warrior, and I replace mine every 3 years or whenever I want a new one. You might want to replace it annually if you climb outdoors multiple days per week.

In reply to:

Well that's your call, but personally I don't trust ropes owned by climbing gyms. I don't have a gym rope, but then again I don't lead indoors very often.

In reply to:

I haven't seen any climbing gyms that let you place your own draws. Where do you climb?

I'd go with the shorter ones. I have yet to see a sport climb that is long and wandering enough to make rope drag an issue. And for trad climbs, I use trad draws with 24" runners. They're much more versatile.

I'm sure there is a climb out there where longer sport draws are useful, and I'm sure someone will reply and point it out. YMMV. You should check with climbers in your area.

In reply to:

I recommend an outdoor climbing club, if you can find one in your area.

I highly recommend against learning to climb at an indoor gym and then going outside without any further instruction. Even for bolted sport climbs, outdoor conditions often require greater safety knowledge then you will learn/encounter in a rock gym.

erin

Dec 11, 2007, 9:13 PM
Post #8 of 14 (1691 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

buy a rope. then find someone to take you outside and climb for real. if you supply all the gear (money) you shouldn't have any problem finding someone to take you outside. I will state the obvious: make sure it is someone that knows what they are doing.

Partner cracklover

Dec 11, 2007, 9:37 PM
Post #9 of 14 (1660 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

orGanix wrote:

Buy cheap shoes. Yes, you'll wear them out fast. Later you'll decide what you want laceup for, and when you want velcro, and what maker fits you best, and board lasted versus slip lasted, and downturned vs. yadda yadda yadda.

In reply to:

Unlike shoes, harnesses don't get "ripped up". I used a harness for five years before retiring it. So this is an area where you want to get something that's really comfortable. If you don't you'll be stuck with it for a long time, and posting icky questions about your package being crushed at hanging belays. No-one wants that! Try on several in stores, and see if they have a rope you can hang from.

In reply to:

I bet you've noticed that it's rather nasty outside at the moment. This being New England, expect it to stay like that until May. So... unless you plan on ice climbing, don't bother buying a rope yet. The ones at the local gyms are fine for now. If you do buy a rope anyway, don't buy a short one. It'll never get used. Save that $50 or whatever towards the purchase of a real rope later.

In reply to:

Where are you climbing indoors that you could place your own draws? But to answer the question, no, length doesn't matter.

In reply to:

Mountaineering, the Freedom of the Hills
How to Rock Climb
Anchors

In reply to:

Ganix

You're welcome!

GO

jgloporto

Dec 11, 2007, 10:08 PM
Post #10 of 14 (1632 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Hi everyone..NOOB here [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
orGanix wrote:

Buy cheap shoes. Yes, you'll wear them out fast. Later you'll decide what you want laceup for, and when you want velcro, and what maker fits you best, and board lasted versus slip lasted, and downturned vs. yadda yadda yadda.

In reply to:

Unlike shoes, harnesses don't get "ripped up". I used a harness for five years before retiring it. So this is an area where you want to get something that's really comfortable. If you don't you'll be stuck with it for a long time, and posting icky questions about your package being crushed at hanging belays. No-one wants that! Try on several in stores, and see if they have a rope you can hang from.

In reply to:

I bet you've noticed that it's rather nasty outside at the moment. This being New England, expect it to stay like that until May. So... unless you plan on ice climbing, don't bother buying a rope yet. The ones at the local gyms are fine for now. If you do buy a rope anyway, don't buy a short one. It'll never get used. Save that $50 or whatever towards the purchase of a real rope later.

In reply to:

Where are you climbing indoors that you could place your own draws? But to answer the question, no, length doesn't matter.

In reply to:

Mountaineering, the Freedom of the Hills
How to Rock Climb
Anchors

In reply to:

Ganix

You're welcome!

GO

It's not grateful... it's laughing.

kfc6936

Dec 12, 2007, 2:30 PM
Post #11 of 14 (1567 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1st get what you find is the most comfortable shoes

2end i get a harness every three years on less i have a major whipper ''fall'' on the harness and than i inspect the harness and decide if i should get a new harness

if you trust the gym your climbing at they probley take care of there gear so just use theres for now the ropes would be the last thing i would worry about for now

if your not planning on going out side i would go with 12s

and get the climbers bible its called freedom off the hills

orGanix

Dec 18, 2007, 3:12 AM
Post #12 of 14 (1450 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Hi everyone..NOOB here [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks so much for all the info everyone.

As for the rope, I know the gym nearest me changes their ropes out quite a bit. But having m own lead rope would make me feel a little better. But I can wait until I am a little better climbing to get my own, might as well fall on theirs for a while.

Actually, the owner will let you place your own draws to practice. His will still be hanging and I think they still want you clipping theirs, not really sure completely. I will have to ask him again.

Gotcha about the shoes. I figured lace up vsvelcro was a matter of choice for the situation. I figured I would probably be burning through them so I will go cheap for a while.

I will have to go the EMS near me to hang in a few harnesses. They have a rope hanging for just that so I will try that out and see what feels the best without crushing my manhood.

I went out and picked up Freedom of the hills and Climbing anchors. I will pick up more once I get through these a couple times.

Thanks again for all the info everyone

Ganix

rocketmannick220

Dec 31, 2007, 11:54 PM
Post #13 of 14 (1269 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

harness-i have a petzel cortax and it rated for ten years it very comfy and i like now i work a and outdoor climbing tower for bsa all day and it work for me i use it for belaying and repelling aswell as working on top teather in mine was $94 i got through my camp climbing dir tax free and 15% off so w/e

Valarc

Jan 1, 2008, 12:10 AM
Post #14 of 14 (1263 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rocketmannick220] Hi everyone..NOOB here [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook