Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
paradise ca?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

stickyninja

Dec 13, 2007, 3:02 PM
Post #1 of 9 (3113 views)
Shortcut

paradise ca?  (North_America: United_States: California)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

anyone know of any descent routes/boulders
other than sawmill peak? everything up here is heavily wooded, makes it hard to find new accessable places. any USEFULL info would be appreciated.
thanks

Tree_wrangler

Dec 13, 2007, 5:22 PM
Post #2 of 9 (3080 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stickyninja] paradise ca? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, my brother is living down in Paradise.....know Craig Baxter?

Anyhow, do you know the Feather River canyon? I don't know the name of the location, but my bro was giving me a tour of the canyon, and there were some killer sport routes at this little pull-off on the highway.

The highway was on the South side of the river at the time, and there was a sizeable creek running into the Feather from the South as well. To access the routes, you walked South up the creekbed (although some took off right from the little parking area.)

My memory may be a little spotty about this, but the creek passed into a tunnel blasted through the rock instead of a usual culvert. I think I saw a route that walked up the man-made arete at the edge of the mouth....cool!

My memory is even spottier about this detail, so don't get hung up on it........I think the highway passed into a tunnel or crossed a narrow bridge (to the East) immediately after the small pull-out for the climbing area.

Look for those features on a map, and go hop in your car to do a little exploring. In particular, look for major streams from the South, when the highway is on the south side of the river.

Good luck!

stickyninja

Dec 14, 2007, 9:22 AM
Post #3 of 9 (3065 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Tree_wrangler] paradise ca? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

youre talking ablut bald rock dome or big bald rock
yeah i know about that one i was just looking for something a little closer to town
thanks

vertex8

Jun 24, 2008, 12:52 AM
Post #4 of 9 (2778 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Try Billie Park Theres a few climbing spots there. You just have to hike down some trails to find them.

vertex8

Jun 24, 2008, 12:58 AM
Post #5 of 9 (2776 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Tree_wrangler] paradise ca? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like you're talking about Grizzle Dome? Right off highway 70. 45 minutes north of paradise, through one tunnel and right before another. Yeah theres a book with all the routes listed in it. You can pick it up at that sports store by Woodstocks in Chico.

almond

Jun 24, 2008, 2:57 PM
Post #6 of 9 (2753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yes. go to bidwell park in chico. go on the fire road in the middle of the park, straight back to browns hole. hike down towards the river there are at least 10 bouldering routes in there. v0-v5 at least. bring a pad sometimes the rock is loose.

dingus

Jun 24, 2008, 3:57 PM
Post #7 of 9 (2736 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

stickyninja wrote:
youre talking ablut bald rock dome or big bald rock
yeah i know about that one i was just looking for something a little closer to town
thanks

No those are on the Middle Fork. He's talking about Grizzly Dome, along hwy 70, right at the river. Pretty much hotter'n ell this time of year.

There's climbing up in Lassen. There is also supposed to be some climbing on the volcanic tablelands round Paradise and Chico but I don't know no more than that. What with the recent fires it may be a good time to do some exploring?

Cheers
DMT

chipdizzle

Oct 19, 2008, 12:23 PM
Post #8 of 9 (2431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i too am looking for routes in or near paradise i boulder throughout bille park but dont know of any where else to climb. i dont have a truck so sawmill peak is out, so any tips or spots would help. do you know of anyone in this town who slacklines?

pbernard

Jun 14, 2009, 8:59 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think everyone has pretty much said all this, but there is fun climbing on Hwy. 70 at a place called Grizzly Dome. This site has many of the routes. Also, there is bald rock dome and bald rock picnic area. the dome is good, but runout and ballsy. The picnic area has great bouldering as seen in the new SuperTopo guide. Also, Lassen NP has some GREAT climbing (Eagle Cliff and Bellybutton are awesome). Bouldering abounds there as well. Other than that, there is a small crag outside of the town of Chester called the Loading Zone. It's a fun place to spend a day cragging. Mostly moderate. If you want more info about any of the above, email me at paul@pondering.org.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook