RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

esoteric1

Oct 17, 2002, 10:27 PM
Post #1 of 1 (649 views)
Shortcut

removing bolts in alpine ca.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I live in a small comunity in alpine ca, while searching the backyards of my neighbors for boulder problems i found a trail and followed it to what looked like a few promissing problems, happy at what i was seeing i got a bit excited and continued on, around a corner and low and behold a bolt, nice and shiney, as i gawked at this bolt, in complete amazement it was maybee 10 feet off the deck, and the boulder maybee 13 feet tall at this angle, I wandered around to fnd a few more of these "routes" in wich i promptly sent the "problems". with a piece of carpet laying on the ground to catch my fall. on top of this "formation" there was a few brand new poorly placed fixe rap rings. Probably cheeper than a crash pad. anyways i wander around looking for a few more problems and on a face that is un cleaned and would go at 11+ probably there is 20+ (hangarless) bolts sticking out of the rock anywhere from 1 to 3 inches, ive never placed a bolt and dont know what an expantion bolt looks like, (trad climber) but these looked an aweful lot like quarter inch drywall bolts, the kind you screw and the sheath folds back and seats on the back side of the drywall.
they were tough to remove but i got em all i believe, I left a note attached to a properly placed bolt on a slightly higher boulder, that said id like to help develop the boulders and left my phone #. some of the rap bolts are placed way too close together and it looks like they are toproping straight through the rings, should i remove these too? it presents a possible danger to someone that doesnt know what the hell they are doing and i wouldnt mind showing the people out there how to do it right, but im not having a million holes in my backyard boulders. for a few reasons.
anyways my question is should i remove the bolts placed too close together too?

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook