Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Climbing Q's around Tempe
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

deathbybowtie

Dec 17, 2007, 11:39 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1421 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Q's around Tempe  (North_America: United_States: Arizona: Phoenix_Area)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm going to stay with my sister for a week next February, and I'm fairly new to outdoor climbing (most of my stuff has been in gym and Michigan's rather limited stuff at Grand Ledge), so I don't own any trad gear, just a dozen or so quickdraws (in addition to rope, webbing, etc.). I plan on doing quite a bit of climbing while I'm down there, but I'd like to find places that have a lot of pre-bolted routes. I see that Queen Creek Canyon has a whole lot of sport routes, but most of the other places I've looked at have been sport/trad and recommend bringing your own protection. Besides QCC, what areas would you recommend?

Also, I'm planning on renting a car, most likely a small sedan like an Aveo or something, will this be a problem in terms of accessing climbing areas (ie, do most of them require an offroad-type vehicle)?

Thanks in advance!

sonso45

Dec 19, 2007, 7:18 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1394 views)
Shortcut

Re: [deathbybowtie] Climbing Q's around Tempe [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Queen Creek will keep ya busy more than a week, you'll need to recuperate your tips before then. There are more areas with sport routes you would like. Jack's is 3 hrs away and should be fine. Mt. Lemmon's lower slopes are good for bolted climbs also plus it's only about 1.5 hr drive. Isolation is 1.5 hr from tempe and has fun sport. McDowells in north scottsdale has many bolted climbs, quite sporty at times. PM me.

snaffel

Dec 19, 2007, 7:55 PM
Post #3 of 4 (1379 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I say QC is ok but can be kind of run out and scary. If you go there I say check out the Atlantis wall. But if you want a kick ass intro to out side and all you need is a cord and a few draws is Jacks canyon. Good limestone at the homesteed though unless you go with someone you won't find a belay, and without high clearance you will have to walk in which is no big deal.

jaybro

Dec 19, 2007, 11:00 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Short answer Queen creek.. but talk to Manny, nobody ever got a better guide to anywhere than he would be...

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook