Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Top Roping the East Sierra..
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

dietcookie

Dec 27, 2007, 1:50 AM
Post #1 of 2 (1971 views)
Shortcut

Top Roping the East Sierra..  (North_America: United_States: California)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I would like to introduce my a friend to top roping along the Eastern Sierra. I'm not exactly too familiar with the cragging scene here. From what I do know, I'm sure Alabama Hills has some big rocks/boulders with top rope anchors (bolted anchors a plus since I don't have a rack with me) as well as the Buttermilks? If not, bouldering will have to suffice.

jedSMG

Apr 16, 2008, 10:13 AM
Post #2 of 2 (1847 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dietcookie] Top Roping the East Sierra.. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Maybe it's too late now, but here's some TR info:

I've wandered a bit through the Alabama hills. Here's a link to an easily top-roped climb that jumps to mind.
http://tiny.cc/uIH8B

In the Buttermilks many of the popular boulders have bolts on top and relatively easy walk-ups. The Sunshine boulder comes to mind first.

If you're feeling exploratory and a bit creative (and the snowcover allows) head up the Tyee Lakes Trail out of the South Fork of Bishop Creek. Along the trail in the first mile or so are countless bluffs with an array of climbing options. The tops are easily accessed and trees can provide your anchors.

Everyone knows about Iris Slab in Rock Creek, but it really is quite good.

Deadman's summit near Mammoth is known for bouldering, but many lines are easily top-roped from tree anchors and suitable for athletic beginners.

Enjoy,
Jed

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$8.96 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook